Handlebar bag mounts - wide clearance?

Discussion in 'Components, Accessories and Clothing' started by oldstooge, 12 Jul 2018.

1. oldstooge

oldstooge New Member

I have a secondary brakes on my handlebar and want to fit a bag upfront. But the cable and brake lever configuration mean that I need 173mm clearance. Does anyone know of a mounting bracket to reach this width? I have looked at couple but nothing so far gives clearance - all assume no levers on the bar.

2. Sharky

Sharky Veteran

Can you post a photo of the handlebar area?

I've used a few cheapish handlebar bags, but I suspect that if you have secondary brake levers you won't have room to operate the brakes easily,

3. OP
    OP
    oldstooge

oldstooge New Member

1AD478EE-8B8B-4B49-8973-67796C954093.jpeg Thanks will post a snap. I can take off the Gps mount and the small light clamp, but still faced with the clearance issue.
    I had thought of a wire basket rack?

4. MichaelW2

MichaelW2 Über Member

Rixen and Kaul make an extended bar mount. They haha the best bar mounting system and you can replace your bags plate with a R&K one.

5. Vantage

Vantage The dogs chew toy

Would something like this not work?
    I can't help but think extending a bar bag further out front would strain the mounts.

6. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

With some fiddling an Ortlieb bar bag mount will go inside the brake levers. Will that work with the length of cable you have?

7. OP
    OP
    oldstooge

oldstooge New Member

Thank you fellow cyclists! I’ve gone for the Ortlieb + extension bracket. Should know by the end of the week if they’ll do the job. Measurements taken by not so local bike shop indicate that this combination should clear the levers ....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice