handlebars on fixed and track bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy Pandy

Sorry to come to these discussions a bit late, but I have just upgraded my on-one track wheels to miche hubs on open pro's, as I knackered my back wheel. The miche hub is a step up from the on-one hub, IMHO. I steered away from deep v rims as they all seemed to be heavy and weak (unless you spend big bucks, and here my LBS warned me that they can be a little fragile). When commuting fixed your wheels take a lot more abuse than when on a freewheel, therefore you need a rim that will stand up to it. I don't think many of the fashion rims will do that.

Oh, and 42x17 is a girly gear, 48x17 at least! ;)

Greenbank

Über Member
70"-75" for London commuting. Once you're used to it there will be no hills in London you can't get up with that gear.

Below that (63"-69") for hillier terrain (Bath, Bristol, Sheffield, etc).
Above that (75"+) for flatter terrain or if you prefer pushing big gears slowly.

Other than that it's all down to personal preference.

Gear Inches can be calculated using Sheldon's site:-

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

Select the right tyre size/width for a more accurate Gear Inch calculation:- 46x17 on 700c x 25mm tyres = 71.4"

I use that same gear on long rides (200km+ Audaxing) through various lumpy places with not much problem.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Anyone know the website for calculating your cadence? I think you put in your chain ring size and sprocket size and speed and it worked it out.
I lost the address when the bookmarks were deleted:sad:

Greenbank

Über Member
Joe24 said:
Anyone know the website for calculating your cadence? I think you put in your chain ring size and sprocket size and speed and it worked it out.
I lost the address when the bookmarks were deleted:sad:

Sheldon's gear calculator will do that.

Put in chain ring size, sprocket size, tyre width/size and then select mph (or kph) at 100 rpm. Scale accordingly.

So 46x17 on 700c x 25mm tyres doing 100rpm is 34.2kph.

So 57.8kph (my top speed on that gear) would be 100*57.8/34.2 = 169rpm

180rpm would be 180*34.2/100 = 61.56kph.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
It's good that you're thinking of coming over to the right side, but please don't get a Langster!

Get something decent!!!!!!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
zimzum42 said:
It's good that you're thinking of coming over to the right side, but please don't get a Langster!

Get something decent!!!!!!
+1

Top Bottom