Hands up if you've ever gone to a job interview and...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Spent time before or after trying to scope the cycle storage facilities at the site and desperately wanting to ask "Do you have showers?" as one of your "Is there anything you'd like to ask us?" questions.

Why the anxiety about asking such a question ? Would a motorist feel anxious about asking about parking ?

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Yes, on the 2nd interview. I even made it clear I would be cycling in living only 5 miles away. I was offered the post and worked there for 7 years.

But I was asked why I was accepting a £10k wage cut first.
Felt like a second round question to me. Scoping the cycle parking was easy though. Maa-hoo-sive cages right opposite the front door.

Similar scale of salary cut too ;)

potsy

Rambler
Did that on the last job before this one, interviewer even showed me where the bike racks were as she walked me out ^_^

They were glad of people cycling in as the car park was tiny for the amount of people on site.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Perhaps try and scope out the interviewer first, ask them how their drive in was. If they say they cycled that's great but if they rant about traffic and cyclists then maybe hold off

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Had an interview for a job I was doing (and continued to do after failing the interview) where the HR interviewer ignored my proffered hand.

I've been considering a move ashore from the sea. I've actually realised a cycle commute and facilities has been large in the thought process of looking for something.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I've been considering a move ashore from the sea. I've actually realised a cycle commute and facilities has been large in the thought process of looking for something.
I am actively avoiding looking at roles which would require me to commute by car. But a lot of my focus is ending up in central London so at best it will be rail-bike, rail-walk or even rail-run with very short post-rail journeys unless I start getting off the train early to ride in which has never really floated my boat.

Last edited:

subaqua

What’s the point
I am actively avoiding looking at roles which would require me to commute by car. But a lot of my focus is ending up in central London so at best it will be rail-bike, rail-walk or even rail-run with very short post-rail journeys unless I start getting off the train early to ride in which has never really floated my boat.

I ride in to central London and some ( most) of our offices are not cycle friendly at all with no showers. the construction sites and welfare facilities are , but not our main offices. I pay £30 a month for swim membership at a GLL pool which means for less than a pound a day I have showers available after my ride in and get to swim before work , sometimes after if I feel like it. best of all it essentially gives me free swimming at the weekend when I go to the pool with the kids ( free again)

Top Bottom