Happy Birthday Greta!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The joke was funny when Rosie Jones said it. Having it repeated a year later by pseudonymous men on the internet is just weird and creepy.
I think your reading to much in to it assuming anyone has an agenda

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
The joke was funny when Rosie Jones said it. Having it repeated a year later by pseudonymous men on the internet is just weird and creepy.

Yup - but hey winjim - we're all just lads together right ??

Young girls and women have always been a target for this kind of 'creepy chat' so why stop now ??

Theres never any harm in it - apparently :wacko:

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Her message is great.

Sadly, one doesn't need to dig too deep to find that she's as guilty as the rest of us.
186E48AC-750B-4777-905E-9427D6CBF5E0.jpeg

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Was it Time-Trialling? Certainly a suitable hobby for any young person!

But slightly less likely to bring benefits to billions of her fellow humans. Tough choice ...

No the suggestion wasn't time trialling.

The original joke did have an agenda as I interpret it. I'm not suggesting anyone on here does, just that it might be considered an inappropriate joke for a middle aged man to make about a teenage girl / young woman.

I'm never certain if people really 'don't get' that's is OK for some people to make jokes about their own experiences, but not appropriate for others to do the same.

I'm rarely convinced about this supposed disingenuousness - as most folks seem to grasp the whole - It's OK for Jewish people to make jokes about other Jewish people, but people who aren't Jewish should not do same .

Greta has been subjected to all sorts of deeply unpleasant comments about her appearance, and threats towards her personage, even going so far as threatening sexual assault, all. as a result of her environmental activism.

Imagine how that feels to anyone, let alone a young woman.

I'm pretty much 100% convinced that no one on CC wishes Greta any physical harm whatsoever, but even bringing it up feeds into the whole creepily entitled 'fair game' attitudes to young women, and their bodies.

It's pretty grim tbh.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Happy Birthday Greta, :cheers:hope the hangover isn't too bad after your first night in a pub. :hugs:

First, the throat clearing, I'm all in favour of protecting the environment.

So, now that's out of the way, I feel very sorry for Thunberg, as I think her parents and handlers have shown a high degree of inconsideration for their daughters conditions, and have in fact fueled them for their own political ends, which in my eyes is a form of abuse. They have pushed her into a paranoid frenzy with the words they have given her to speak.

She rarely engages in debate, as when she does, her limitations are shown to the world, which implies she's being given the scripts to read out, and there have been several times when her dramatised version is not representative of the IPPC findings.

It comes across as a way of silencing debate, as being critical of what she says is seen as bullying, when she is actually a victim of her own side. I find it actually detrimental, as it deflects from the key issues when her prepared statements can be dissected and shown to contain factual errors and exaggerations, but most of all, it seems to be having a long term impact on her mental health.

I will no doubt now need a tin hat on for not worshiping at the church of Saint Greta, and instead having some consideration for her well being and a wish that the debates were more open.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
First, the throat clearing, I'm all in favour of protecting the environment.

So, now that's out of the way, I feel very sorry for Thunberg, as I think her parents and handlers have shown a high degree of inconsideration for their daughters conditions, and have in fact fueled them for their own political ends, which in my eyes is a form of abuse. They have pushed her into a paranoid frenzy with the words they have given her to speak.

She rarely engages in debate, as when she does, her limitations are shown to the world, which implies she's being given the scripts to read out, and there have been several times when her dramatised version is not representative of the IPPC findings.

It comes across as a way of silencing debate, as being critical of what she says is seen as bullying, when she is actually a victim of her own side. I find it actually detrimental, as it deflects from the key issues when her prepared statements can be dissected and shown to contain factual errors and exaggerations, but most of all, it seems to be having a long term impact on her mental health.

I will no doubt now need a tin hat on for not worshiping at the church of Saint Greta, and instead having some consideration for her well being and a wish that the debates were more open.

You can actually read a full rebuttal, written by Greta herself of this supposed theory that she is being 'controlled, coerced, or abused' by her 'handlers' .

It's just another deflecting move on behalf of those who would do her down.

Her mental health was far worse before she started with the activism - in part due to her despairing at the overall situation - a position I myself have found myself in often enough.

If you're all in favour of 'protecting the environmrnt' why not focus on doing that, instead of attacking the messenger, her mannerisms, or methodologies.

It's such a well worn cliche.

Last edited:
You can actually read a full rebuttal, written by Greta herself of this supposed theory that she is being 'controlled, coerced, or abused' by her handlers.

It's just another deflecting move on behalf of those who would do her down.

Her mental health was far worse before she started with the activism - in part due to her despairing at the overall situation - a position I myself have found myself in often enough.

If you're all in favour of 'protecting the environmrnt' why not focus on doing that, instead of attacking the messenger, her mannerisms, or methodologies.

It's such a well worn cliche.

I've read her rebuttal, and it doesn't alter much if anything of what I've put about her. The handlers needed to be more careful with the substance of the message, which as I say, isn't altogether supported by the scientists that inform the IPPC report, which leaves it wide open for the whole message to get diluted, especially as delivering it as they have can be viewed as a tool to stifle much needed debate if there is to be sustainable solutions. There are far too many political undertones to key elements of it. It's simply not how science should work.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Im going to backtrack a bit and apologize my comments were meant in jest and would have been said whether it was a male or female with regards to them getting to a certain age .I had forgotten about her medical diagnosis and TBH not really up to date on her activities apart from mainstream press.

Top Bottom