Happy Birthday Greta!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am going to leave this thread as it seems a moment of jest has been overseen by others with agenda`s of their own as inflammatory with a lot of stuff about my character based in unfounded bias , if you want to continue making assertions then by all means carry on but do not include me as i have tried to make amends but it seems some cannot accept that , good luck

I don't think you had any ill intent at all and I'm not assuming anything about your character but I would be interested in why you think her autism diagnosis should make any difference.
Is there an answer that would result in you saying that you are happy with his views on autism?

I'm sure we do agree on most of this

Gretas message is

"Listen to the Climate Scientists,"

repeatedly

Over, and over

But what do the media report..??

Her pigtails, her manner of speaking, her age, her gender, her autism, the fact that she once went to mc Donalds.. Whatever.

Anything really , other than

"Listen to the Climate Science"

But still Greta has, reinvigorated energy in all this for some, and even alerted others.

All power to her for that.

Criticism, of her, or her methods, is completely irrelevant, so long as she comes out OK.

The signs regarding all that, are pretty good, as far as I'm aware

OK so now everyone, on behalf of Greta,, and everyone else who'd like a livable planet to hand on...

Will you PLEASE Listen to the climate scientists..

I'll even put my hair in pigtails if it helps..

If you don't approve the piglet hat that is ..

View attachment 567199

Again, she's right about listening to that actual scientists, unfortunately, she's guilty of not doing that on some key issues and only operates from a script, as her lack of understanding was flagged up on the few debates she got engaged in.

As for the message, I don't get mine from the media, I get it from people actually involved, and she has created issues that didn't need making, and to an extent knocked the cause back in certain areas, and I don't think she's done her health much good on the way there.

She was selected for a purpose, which was more political than environmental.

The total defence of her that some people seem to offer, as if to claim some moral highground, is counter-productive in many ways

Again, she's right about listening to that actual scientists, unfortunately, she's guilty of not doing that on some key issues and only operates from a script, as her lack of understanding was flagged up on the few debates she got engaged in.
Doesn't that just emphasise that they should be DISCUSSING STUFF WITH THE SCIENTISTS! You are only going to get so much out of a 17year-old girl.

[And remind me - how much media coverage has any scientist gotten, compared to Greta? Were they really winning the war before she came along?? ]

Doesn't that just emphasise that they should be DISCUSSING STUFF WITH THE SCIENTISTS! You are only going to get so much out of a 17year-old girl.

[And remind me - how much media coverage has any scientist gotten, compared to Greta? Were they really winning the war before she came along?? ]

You reckon none of this was in the media before her? Seriously? If a scientist is the right one to discuss it with, perhaps they'd have been better putting them on to the stage with her. Maybe the fact they weren't suggests that her message wasn't quite in line with the science, and was more in line with politics.

winjim

Smash the cistern
https://www.cyclechat.net/goto/post?id=6257812

Is there an answer that would result in you saying that you are happy with his views on autism?
I don't know what his views are on autism. I'm just interested in why they make a difference to the jokes that were made. Her diagnosis was given as the reason for his apology so I have to assume that he thinks the joke would be fine when made about an allistic woman but not an autistic one. I don't know why that should be.

ETA: there are currently two openly autistic posters active on this thread, maybe more, I don't know everybody's neurotype, so if somebody does have views on autism which might be misguided or whatever then now might be a good chance for a chat about them.

Last edited:
Seriously - it got a lot bigger with her help.

Do a straw poll of civilians you know; the only name they'll know on a similar level is Attenborough, and he's had about 40 years head-start on Greta!

If only that attention didn't come with people picking up the wrong message, or looking at her words in more detail, and using the flaws to highlight what they feel are errors in the science. Perhaps then, those involved could have focused on sustainable solutions, rather than having to spend time diplomatically rephrasing her message in to something more representative of the science.

Perhaps we could train up one of those pigs flying over your head?

You're just asking for a charismatic, on-message, media-trained, Climate Science MSc, 16-year-old. Or do you have one waiting in the wings?

I'll just be grateful for the one we have, doing what she can, not carping on internet message-boards ...

Perhaps we could train up one of those pigs flying over your head?

You're just asking for a charismatic, on-message, media-trained, Climate Science MSc, 16-year-old. Or do you have one waiting in the wings?

I'll just be grateful for the one we have, doing what she can, not carping on internet message-boards ...

There are plenty of youngsters that get up on the stage for lots of things, including young politicians. There are also others that get pretty close to your criteria for environmental issues too. What she had, was the backing of a marketing team, and protection from being challenged on what she said.

I don't know what his views are on autism. I'm just interested in why they make a difference to the jokes that were made. Her diagnosis was given as the reason for his apology so I have to assume that he thinks the joke would be fine when made about an allistic woman but not an autistic one. I don't know why that should be.
That appears to be restating the same query. (Of course I don't know the poster's views on autism, I just read his comment and subsequent apology/retraction.) In your view is it ever acceptable to treat an allistic person differently to an autistic?

winjim

Smash the cistern
That appears to be restating the same query. (Of course I don't know the poster's views on autism, I just read his comment and subsequent apology/retraction.) In your view is it ever acceptable to treat an allistic person differently to an autistic?
Yes.

icowden

Veteran
It comes across as a way of silencing debate, as being critical of what she says is seen as bullying, when she is actually a victim of her own side. I find it actually detrimental, as it deflects from the key issues when her prepared statements can be dissected and shown to contain factual errors and exaggerations, but most of all, it seems to be having a long term impact on her mental health.

Yes, obviously she should at least have tried to get a PhD before trying to engage people in environmental awareness. It's clear that as the lead scientist advocating that we address climate change that she really hasn't put the hours in.

Oh - hang on - NEWS JUST IN - Greta Thunberg is *not* a scientist. Apparently she is just a 17 (now 18) year old girl who thinks we should take climate science seriously.

In other news, you do seem to have missed interviews with Greta's parents where they state the absolute reverse of your own opinion about their parenting:-
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50901789

Looking forward to the supporting evidence of your qualifications as a Mental Health Professional.

Top Bottom