Happy Birthday Greta!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
What she had, was the backing of a marketing team, and protection from being challenged on what she said.

Protection from being challenged? Are you having a laugh, over half the world seem to want to challenge her, it is actually very surprising how many people when you consider she is just telling people to listen to experts - not exactly a view that should be controversial.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Protection from being challenged? Are you having a laugh, over half the world seem to want to challenge her, it is actually very surprising how many people when you consider she is just telling people to listen to experts - not exactly a view that should be controversial.

Shame they don't just want to challenge her controversial view that

"We should listen to climate scientists"

They seem to want to challenge everything else about her ...

but t'was ever thus with people not wanting to hear an uncomfortable message -

They will attack the messenger - the messengers appearance - demeanour - personal habits - friends - anything rather than address the central point.

Climate change is real - horribly so - it has been coming at us like a slow car crash for decades - the clear evidence is already here - its already affecting peoples live - unfairly in the global south predominantly - Yes those people who didn't really cause it - thats really really not fair - but hey lets take action anyway ..

Starting Right Now !!

I mean yes thirty years ago - would have be even an even cooler (sic) time to take action - when we already knew what was happening - but better late ( we hope) than never - at least we could try - please ??

It's incredible how disrespectful some people are to the scientists that Thunberg misrepresents in her speeches, and that have been working hard for years.

I guess some people like the idea of a young girl, who they themselves say is far from an expert, and that doesn't give people a clear opportunity to take her to task, as they hide behind the fact she's a young, under educated girl with underlying issues being guided for political rather than environmental gain.

Heaven forbid anyone dare point out that there are environmental downsides to what's become almost a cult to some, who can't see it turns away a fair percentage of people, and doesn't lend itself to honest, open debate of the facts, as they get buried under all the emotion.

I'll stick to talking to the scientists. Good luck in listening to the alternatives.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
It's incredible how disrespectful some people are to the scientists that Thunberg misrepresents in her speeches, and that have been working hard for years.

I guess some people like the idea of a young girl, who they themselves say is far from an expert, and that doesn't give people a clear opportunity to take her to task, as they hide behind the fact she's a young, under educated girl with underlying issues being guided for political rather than environmental gain.

Heaven forbid anyone dare point out that there are environmental downsides to what's become almost a cult to some, who can't see it turns away a fair percentage of people, and doesn't lend itself to honest, open debate of the facts, as they get buried under all the emotion.

I'll stick to talking to the scientists. Good luck in listening to the alternatives.

People have been disrespectful to scientists ( in our highly commerce driven westernised cultures at least ) for a long long time.

For some reason many are suspicious of carefully and steadily acquired knowledge - it is seen as nerdy geeky - not to be trusted -
"we're fed up of listening to experts" etc etc ...

Unless of course those experts are telling us something we want to hear - or bringing us a product we need - such as a covid vaccine.

But many people don't fully understand or respect the scientific method - they want ' absolute proof' which of course most scientists are rarely able to give - and certainly unwilling to proffer unless they really are 100% sure .

But thats not how it works is it?

However the overwhelming evidence and agreement among scientists - like over 90% - which is massive in scientific terms - is that climate change is happening

But, because of the naturally occurring randomised chaos, and cycles that you will of course get with 'climate'
and that will most certainly occur with 'weather events' - you have a recipe for disaster in good ' science communication' when it comes to some people being able to distract dissemble and discredit the scientific findings

Trump and his deliberately ignorant minions - are prime examples of that obfuscating craft.

But at least Greta has provided a refocussing - and she has clearly and persistantly promoted the idea climate science - and tackling climate change are the most pressing issue of our time - to the younger generation.

Yes we can argue about best practice, and science for tackling CC - but I would still credit her with pushing the issue far further up the agenda than many of us have ever been able to - some people will still ignore it - but we can't help that - so long as we have the majority onboard.

We might even be a bit jealous of her sudden influence - but really who cares - so long as the issue is brought to the attention of more people ..

I think Greta will, and can be happy with having done that .

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
My,my five pages all about a lefty snowflake muppet.:rolleyes:

Some folk really should concentrate on more serious issues going on out there.

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
My,my five pages all about a lefty snowflake muppet.:rolleyes:

Some folk really should concentrate are more serious issues going on out there.
You bored or something?

If you're looking for a bite then fine. There literally are not more serious issues going on out there.

winjim

Smash the cistern
To be fair, a good few of the posts have been on the subject of whether it's appropriate for middle aged men to make sexually suggestive comments about teenage girls and young women, and if that depends on the neurotype of the woman in question. Which is perhaps a broader discussion and not to do with Thunberg per se.

Top Bottom