Happy Birthday Greta!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
To be fair, a good few of the posts have been on the subject of whether it's appropriate for middle aged men to make sexually suggestive comments about teenage girls and young women, and if that depends on the neurotype of the woman in question. Which is perhaps a broader discussion and not to do with Thunberg per se.

Does age matter?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I admire climate change activists energy and passion. But it is very difficult to see how the world is ever going to change. Take South Korea, recently they had the first year where deaths outstripped births prompting panic among the countries leaders and capitalists. Apparently women are choosing a life and career that doesn't involve popping out a sprog. That simply will not do. Bad for the economy you see, which it is if you are not willing to be pragmatic and change the system... might have the US army marching into Seoul and overthrowing the regime if they did. Good luck to them anyway!

Yes one of the most well recognised ways of keeping population growth down is through educating and empowering women.

And enabling them to have control over their own fertility.

You'd think that population growth slowing would be applauded in most countries.

They can always welcome young immigrants from other countries, if the workforce is thinning out, after all.

However, its not all about numbers of people overall, anyhow.

We in the westernised worlld consume multiples more resources, and pollute far more, per capita than those in the global South.

And given that we're the ones who have so massively profited from the dirty capitalism, that has driven climate change, you might think we'd feel obliged to lead the way on finding, implementing, and distributing solutions.

But not everyone seems willing to step up to the collective plate in that way.

Curiously...

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Deep down, all these middle aged (and older) men, by laying into Greta, are just laying bare their own insecurities about becoming old and irrelevant

When an 18 year old girl is controlling the climate change agenda the penny drops for middle aged men that their time is coming to an end. Of course a lot can't accept this so they do the only thing they can do and lay into her to try to undermine her in a vain effort to still be relevant.

Middle aged blokes need to understand that they've owned this problem and failed to deal with it. It's time for the next generation

I admire climate change activists energy and passion. But it is very difficult to see how the world is ever going to change. Take South Korea, recently they had the first year where deaths outstripped births prompting panic among the countries leaders and capitalists. Apparently women are choosing a life and career that doesn't involve popping out a sprog. That simply will not do. Bad for the economy you see, which it is if you are not willing to be pragmatic and change the system... might have the US army marching into Seoul and overthrowing the regime if they did. Good luck to them anyway!

I'll repeat that I'm a strong environmentalist, but that will no doubt be ignored, but what often gets missed or misrepresented is that we, and the environment actual owe a fair bit to fossil fuels, and it's high handed to insist the emerging nations can't have access to the benefits we got from an energy dense, portable and affordable fuel. As just a few examples, massive advances in life expectancy, over 90% reductions in deaths, damage and injury from natural disasters such as floods and hurricanes, massive increase in whales and turtles, previously culled for fuel and 'plastic', even Polar Bear numbers are well up. The measures proposed don't seem to be looking sustainably at the replacements.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
It started as a frickin Birthday Thread,

And having popped in here to complain - He didn't even bother to wish Greta

"Many Happy Returns"

Or promise to chip in for the new bike lights :bicycle:

Downright rude i'd call it.. :blink:

Curious behaviour I'd say, for such an allegedly well mannered, old fashioned, chap :wacko:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Well he doesn't wear clothes much so they last longer, on the downside I bet his heating is turned up higher than us 'Jumper Clad' lot. :laugh:

well if possible, i don't wear many, or any clothes either, when the weather suits..

But right now, i definitely need a couple of cardis on at least, around the farm or i'd catch my death ... :blink:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Deep down, all these middle aged (and older) men, by laying into Greta, are just laying bare their own insecurities about becoming old and irrelevant

When an 18 year old girl is controlling the climate change agenda the penny drops for middle aged men that their time is coming to an end. Of course a lot can't accept this so they do the only thing they can do and lay into her to try to undermine her in a vain effort to still be relevant.

Middle aged blokes need to understand that they've owned this problem and failed to deal with it. It's time for the next generation

Well i'm not so sure they've 'owned' the problem - more like ignored, and contributed to it.

And not all of them of course either - There's a good few middle aged and older guys, still active in trying to address this issue.

But would agree there probs are some underlying insecurities brought out by having "Some young girl' lecturing us.

That in itself is a bit sad - but the threats of sexual violence and worse are unspeakably vile

Top Bottom