Happy Birthday Greta!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Im going to backtrack a bit and apologize my comments were meant in jest and would have been said whether it was a male or female with regards to them getting to a certain age .I had forgotten about her medical diagnosis and TBH not really up to date on her activities apart from mainstream press.
Please explain what her autism's got to do with anything.

Im going to backtrack a bit and apologize my comments were meant in jest and would have been said whether it was a male or female with regards to them getting to a certain age .I had forgotten about her medical diagnosis and TBH not really up to date on her activities apart from mainstream press.
Well said :okay:

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
First, the throat clearing, I'm all in favour of protecting the environment.

So, now that's out of the way, I feel very sorry for Thunberg, as I think her parents and handlers have shown a high degree of inconsideration for their daughters conditions, and have in fact fueled them for their own political ends, which in my eyes is a form of abuse. They have pushed her into a paranoid frenzy with the words they have given her to speak.

She rarely engages in debate, as when she does, her limitations are shown to the world, which implies she's being given the scripts to read out, and there have been several times when her dramatised version is not representative of the IPPC findings.

It comes across as a way of silencing debate, as being critical of what she says is seen as bullying, when she is actually a victim of her own side. I find it actually detrimental, as it deflects from the key issues when her prepared statements can be dissected and shown to contain factual errors and exaggerations, but most of all, it seems to be having a long term impact on her mental health.

I will no doubt now need a tin hat on for not worshiping at the church of Saint Greta, and instead having some consideration for her well being and a wish that the debates were more open.
Time to deploy the whole cartoon strip again.
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...king-out-about-the-tiny-swedish-climate-demon

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
'Handlers' FFS, she's a young autistic woman, not a flipping dog.

I was in the verge of putting same word in my post in apostrophes just as I saw your post.

Autistic or not, makes no odds, the term is demeaning and diminishing..

Same old, same old..

Except its not the same is it, male v female..

Creepy predatory men have been 'using' young women, in this way, for their own 'amusement' for centuries.

Any chance you could acknowledge that?

Or at least make a bit more effort not to perpetuate the problem ??

She rarely engages in debate, as when she does, her limitations are shown to the world, which implies she's being given the scripts to read out, and there have been several times when her dramatised version is not representative of the IPPC findings.
She's a teenager!!! she doesn't have a PHd in enviromental science. What do you expect from her??

She's a teenager trying to fix a mess caused by the "grownups"; she's stirred up a lot of "grownups" and there is NO DOUBT that the extra publicity has had a net gain.

Show me your perfect campaign literature (and show me how much airtime it has got you). Show me the great press conferences you have conducted. THEN I will consider your critique of Greta's efforts.

She's a teenager!!! she doesn't have a PHd in enviromental science. What do you expect from her??

She's a teenager trying to fix a mess caused by the "grownups"; she's stirred up a lot of "grownups" and there is NO DOUBT that the extra publicity has had a net gain.

Show me your perfect campaign literature (and show me how much airtime it has got you). Show me the great press conferences you have conducted. THEN I will consider your critique of Greta's efforts.

If you're happy with it opening up unnecessary cans of worms that conflict with the scientific reports, and detracts from sustainable solutions, whilst impacting on her own well being, that's clearly your choice. I prefer science, and consideration of others.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I am going to leave this thread as it seems a moment of jest has been overseen by others with agenda`s of their own as inflammatory with a lot of stuff about my character based in unfounded bias , if you want to continue making assertions then by all means carry on but do not include me as i have tried to make amends but it seems some cannot accept that , good luck

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I've read her rebuttal, and it doesn't alter much if anything of what I've put about her. The handlers needed to be more careful with the substance of the message, which as I say, isn't altogether supported by the scientists that inform the IPPC report, which leaves it wide open for the whole message to get diluted, especially as delivering it as they have can be viewed as a tool to stifle much needed debate if there is to be sustainable solutions. There are far too many political undertones to key elements of it. It's simply not how science should work.

Well hears the thing..

I don't agree with every single word that Greta utters either, especially not on us all needing to follow a vegan diet.

She's not a cult leader, however much some might like to portray her that way..

She's not even appointed herself as a climate scientist, or 'expert'

But she has however, listened to the overwhelming majority view, of those scientists.

Her overwhelming message is in fact

"Listen to the Climate Scientists, not me!"

But media, and popular reporting always seems to want to go with 'personality' rather than dull old 'facts and science'

Millions of us dull old worthy, eco warriors have been saying "Please will you listen to the facts and science?"

Around climate change, pollution and loss of biodiversity for flippin decades - hence Greenpeace, hence Freinds of the Earth, hence hundreds of other small and large organisations and institutions, working on all this.

Greta is just another person, who happened to catch a time and a mood, and the media's eye.

I hope she will be able to have a relatively 'normal life' ongoing.

Not be so much in the public eye if she would prefer that.

Certainly not have repulsive people threaten her with sexual assault, or wish her drowned.

Burn out is quite common with this kind of thing.

It can all get a bit overwhelming, you can easily feel like
You can never 'Do enough' - because in fact, that's actually true.

So you have to measure out your time, and energy, carefully, and join up with other people to drive forward change.

Greta has reinvigorated, and created new movements in all this, and we really are at the eleventh hour.

Maybe.. Hopefully - Covid will even have allowed a pause, a taking stock, a chance to regenerate greener, better, more socially just, low carbon societies, we have pretty much all of the technologies, and ways of working already available to us.

It's humans capacity to take them on board, and quickly enough, that's the problem.

I don't know for sure, if we can make that change, but you have to stay hopeful, or just get out of it all together, otherwise its too much like depressing despair at the indifference, resistance, ignorance, and inertia.

Maybe CC could have a whip round for those bike lights..

winjim

Smash the cistern
I am going to leave this thread as it seems a moment of jest has been overseen by others with agenda`s of their own as inflammatory with a lot of stuff about my character based in unfounded bias , if you want to continue making assertions then by all means carry on but do not include me as i have tried to make amends but it seems some cannot accept that , good luck
I don't think you had any ill intent at all and I'm not assuming anything about your character but I would be interested in why you think her autism diagnosis should make any difference.

Sadly, I don't blame you one bit.

Well hears the thing..

I don't agree with every single word that Greta utters either, especially not on us all needing to follow a vegan diet.

She's not a cult leader, however much some might like to portray her that way..

She's not even appointed herself as a climate scientist, or 'expert'

But she has however, listened to the overwhelming majority view, of those scientists.

Her overwhelming message is in fact

"Listen to the Climate Scientists, not me!"

But media, and popular reporting always seems to want to go with 'personality' rather than dull old 'facts and science'

Millions of us dull old worthy, eco warriors have been saying "Please will you listen to the facts and science?"

Around climate change, pollution and loss of biodiversity for flippin decades - hence Greenpeace, hence Freinds of the Earth, hence hundreds of other small and large organisations and institutions, working on all this.

Greta is just another person, who happened to catch a time and a mood, and the media's eye.

I hope she will be able to have a relatively 'normal life' ongoing.

Not be so much in the public eye if she would prefer that.

Certainly not have repulsive people threaten her with sexual assault, or wish her drowned.

Burn out is quite common with this kind of thing.

It can all get a bit overwhelming, you can easily feel like
You can never 'Do enough' - because in fact, that's actually true.

So you have to measure out your time, and energy, carefully, and join up with other people to drive forward change.

Greta has reinvigorated, and created new movements in all this, and we really are at the eleventh hour.

Maybe.. Hopefully - Covid will even have allowed a pause, a taking stock, a chance to regenerate greener, better, more socially just, low carbon societies, we have pretty much all of the technologies, and ways of working already available to us.

It's humans capacity to take them on board, and quickly enough, that's the problem.

I don't know for sure, if we can make that change, but you have to stay hopeful, or just get out of it all together, otherwise its too much like depressing despair at the indifference, resistance, ignorance, and inertia.

Maybe CC could have a whip round for those bike lights..

See, by what you've posted there, you actually agree with me on most of the things I've said.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I am autistic. Whilst people who are different to the 'norm' we are not to be pitied. We see the world and its workings differently. It has caused a huge amount of difficulty in life but it is a superpower of sorts as well.
You should hear me speaking in front of an audience. I'd be stammering and repeating myself and giving weird emphasis to the wrong points and going on diversions that are interesting but nothing to do with what I'm saying. On the other hand I have seen allistic speakers literally read from notes or just repeat what's on the slides and sound very mechanical indeed, and I mean scientists older and more experienced than Thunberg. So the way she speaks, especially as a young autistic woman in front of an intimidating audience gives absolutely no clue that she is being influenced or scripted or told what to say in any way whatsoever.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
See, by what you've posted there, you actually agree with me on most of the things I've said.

I'm sure we do agree on most of this

Gretas message is

"Listen to the Climate Scientists,"

repeatedly

Over, and over

But what do the media report..??

Her pigtails, her manner of speaking, her age, her gender, her autism, the fact that she once went to mc Donalds.. Whatever.

Anything really , other than

"Listen to the Climate Science"

But still Greta has, reinvigorated energy in all this for some, and even alerted others.

All power to her for that.

Criticism, of her, or her methods, is completely irrelevant, so long as she comes out OK.

The signs regarding all that, are pretty good, as far as I'm aware

OK so now everyone, on behalf of Greta,, and everyone else who'd like a livable planet to hand on...

Will you PLEASE Listen to the climate scientists..

I'll even put my hair in pigtails if it helps..

If you don't approve the piglet hat that is ..

Top Bottom