Hard for non-cyclists to comprehend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
Their family and friends are struggling to make ends meet and pay the rent while the jackpot winner is worrying about the colour of his next Bentley.
That only happens to the selfish. Should I win a fortune on the lottery (which admittedly won't happen as I don't buy tickets), my first priority would be to make damn sure that my family and friends no longer had to struggle to make ends meet and pay the rent.

Frankly, I'm saddened by the general theme of this discussion that winners would keep it all for themselves and not give a damn about the people who mean the most to them.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I was presented with a pen that costs substantially more than a rather pricey bike. But I don't expect any cyclists to understand that (I certainly don't get it).

I'll go against the grain here; I still don't understand spending more money on a bike than a car. But it depends what kind of bike and car we are comparing.

If its a bongo daily driver and you don't car much about it, and you compare it to a beater bike, then I would expect the car to be more expensive. But if you're comparing a beater car with a smooth road bike, then sure the bike will be pricier.

If you compare a racing car with a racing bike, then once again the car will be pricier again. I would expect anyway.

But in all honesty, I just couldnt feel comfortable knowing my bike is more expensive that the car. To me, while I love cycling, they do seem to be a bunch of tubes stuck together with a couple of hoops. There's really only so much r&d you can do with a bike. The rest is pure profit (well, after discounting marketing costs :smile:)

mustang1

Legendary Member
Can you keep up with younger riders though? I go out with my stepson who is 20 years younger than me and he can leave me standing whenever he wants too.
I still believe the engine is more important than the bike but, it is your money and your decision alone to spend it as you wish.

Expensive bikes aren't all about going faster any more than an expensive sports car is about going faster. I think people like to buy stuff that CAN go faster under different conditions (like pro racing driver or pro TdF rider and so on).

mustang1

Legendary Member
If a bike is better made, more comfortable, handles better, and generally is more pleasuable to ride, then you're more likely to ride, surely?
Agreed. I have a bike that some would consider entry level. I would never ever have dreamed of spending that much on a bike but on the test ride it just felt so good that I had to have it.

Now, 5 years later, even after a service, I don't quite like the way it is and fancy another bike.

How I explain it at work (not that I have to justify to anyone)

1500 got me a nice mid life crisis bike equivalent to a nearly new Porsche Boxster in car terms ..(if you think of a 7k bike as top end Ferrari/Lamborghini etc) whereas 1500 on a midlife crisis car would get me a nail of an unreliable soft top... fab bike or dodgy car? And it doesn't cost me tax, ins, mot and repairs....

I still get 'yeah but you can get a car for that...'

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
How I explain it at work (not that I have to justify to anyone)

1500 got me a nice mid life crisis bike equivalent to a nearly new Porsche Boxster in car terms ..(if you think of a 7k bike as top end Ferrari/Lamborghini etc) whereas 1500 on a midlife crisis car would get me a nail of an unreliable soft top... fab bike or dodgy car? And it doesn't cost me tax, ins, mot and repairs....

I still get 'yeah but you can get a car for that...'
Which shows how sick our society is. It's like a person on drugs, except the drug is car-reliance.

Reactions: mjr

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
That only happens to the selfish. Should I win a fortune on the lottery (which admittedly won't happen as I don't buy tickets), my first priority would be to make damn sure that my family and friends no longer had to struggle to make ends meet and pay the rent.

Frankly, I'm saddened by the general theme of this discussion that winners would keep it all for themselves and not give a damn about the people who mean the most to them.
You miss my point. Handing out donations to family and friends alters the balance of your relationships, you are no longer on an equal footing. You would notice a subtle change in the way they see you and the way you see them, it would be awkward and embarrassing for both parties when visiting someone in their nice new home which you have paid for, or riding in the flash new car you bought for them. And in the inevitable spats between friends or family members these things can get thrown back in your face, one way or the other.

As for "Not giving a damn about people who mean most to them", I know people who are considerably better off than me and others who are much worse off. We don't subsidise each other out of our earnings neither is it expected. Why should that be any different with money you've won?

Alan O

Über Member
You miss my point. Handing out donations to family and friends alters the balance of your relationships, you are no longer on an equal footing. You would notice a subtle change in the way they see you and the way you see them, it would be awkward and embarrassing for both parties when visiting someone in their nice new home which you have paid for, or riding in the flash new car you bought for them. And in the inevitable spats between friends or family members these things can get thrown back in your face, one way or the other.
Actually, I do get your point, and it's a valid one - I over-generalised, which was not fair.

As for "Not giving a damn about people who mean most to them", I know people who are considerably better off than me and others who are much worse off. We don't subsidise each other out of our earnings neither is it expected. Why should that be any different with money you've won?
I'm not suggesting there's any obligation or expectation at all (and I was referring to family and friends rather than just people I know). My family and friends are people I genuinely care about, and if I suddenly became fabulously wealthy compared to them then I would simply want to share my good fortune. And I'm disappointed that there aren't more in society who feel as I do.

Top Bottom