Hard for non-cyclists to comprehend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
I remember a lot of ex forum member writing things like that, I doubt most ride a bike any more. You are all guessing at what you would do if money was no object, who knows what other interests my present them selves.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I remember a lot of ex forum member writing things like that, I doubt most ride a bike any more. You are all guessing at what you would do if money was no object, who knows what other interests my present them selves.

I'm sure this is not true of my wife and myself. We have absolutely no desire to move house. We have lived in a terrace of seven cottages for 36 years. Our kids grew up here, seven of our closest friends live literally doors away. We do loads together, for example we all just returned from a picnic and outdoor theatre. No amount of money could replace the love, support and friendship we enjoy.

If I had a million I'd buy my kids houses, a new bike, two cars and then travel. We've retired and already travel but would be able to do more and travel business or first class.

Basically where we live is described in one word - home.

screenman

Legendary Member
I'm sure this is not true of my wife and myself. We have absolutely no desire to move house. We have lived in a terrace of seven cottages for 36 years. Our kids grew up here, seven of our closest friends live literally doors away. We do loads together, for example we all just returned from a picnic and outdoor theatre. No amount of money could replace the love, support and friendship we enjoy.

If I had a million I'd buy my kids houses, a new bike, two cars and then travel. We've retired and already travel but would be able to do more and travel business or first class.

Basically where we live is described in one word - home.

That is great, but have you thought that a lottery win could change the way your friends see you.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
That is great, but have you thought that a lottery win could change the way your friends see you.

Surely the way people perceive me is a result of how I act? If I didn't change there's no reason why my friends should.

I happen to know three very wealthy families - I'm talking millions. Two of them are as ordinary as you can imagine, the third family I tend to avoid.

Each spend their money in significant sums, way beyond anyone else I know. Two of those families seem happy and normal, the third is beset by alcoholism, depression and heavy use of prescription drugs. Two are generous and outgoing, the third appears to believe happiness can be bought.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Surely the way people perceive me is a result of how I act? If I didn't change there's no reason why my friends should.

I happen to know three very wealthy families - I'm talking millions. Two of them are as ordinary as you can imagine, the third family I tend to avoid.

Each spend their money in significant sums, way beyond anyone else I know. Two of those families seem happy and normal, the third is beset by alcoholism, depression and heavy use of prescription drugs. Two are generous and outgoing, the third appears to believe happiness can be bought.
Nobody resents you for the money you've worked for, however much you've got. Win a significant sum and the attitude changes completely.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I wonder how many of us would still be cycling if we had huge amounts of money, I doubt that I would.

Wassat? Eh? You talkin' about me?

Lord-Sugar-with-Pinarello-for-featured.jpg

Dan B

Disengaged member
Nobody resents you for the money you've worked for, however much you've got. Win a significant sum and the attitude changes completely.
Only if you tell people. Provided you keep the significant sum in the bank and never spend it (you said it wouldn't change you, right?) who's to know you even have it?

PaulSB

Legendary Member

I'm interested in this, could you explain more please?

Just as an aside I don't buy lottery tickets as I see it as exploitative and I don't want to win millions. I do have premium bonds. In all seriousness my wife and I know what we would do if we won £1m. After providing for the kids I'd expect £4-500,000 left. That's enough to change our life. At 61 & 63 it would allow us to do everything we want to do.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I'm interested in this, could you explain more please?
That's just how it is, large wins can cause untold amounts of family rifts. And if you make a fortune in business you tend to mix with people who are in a similar financial bracket, the council house tennant who scoops twenty million on the lottery becomes very isolated straight away. Their family and friends are struggling to make ends meet and pay the rent while the jackpot winner is worrying about the colour of his next Bentley. Apart from being regarded as a bank by a few of them.

Top Bottom