Hard for non-cyclists to comprehend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What a perceptive man you must be to read the hearts and minds of all who are privileged enough to meet you.
Haven't you met @Oldfentiger yet?
220px-Leonard_Nimoy_Spock_1967.jpg

Oldfentiger

Veteran
What a perceptive man you must be to read the hearts and minds of all who are privileged enough to meet you.
Now who's being judgmental?

Brandane

Legendary Member
No matter how much cash I had, there would be a relatively low limit as to how much I would spend on a bike. The main reason being that I would be too scared to leave it anywhere! As it is, I don't like leaving any of my current bikes unattended, and the most expensive of them is probably the Ridgeback Panorama - bought second hand for about £600. It's all very well to say that insurance will sort you out with a new bike, but it's still a hassle to come out of a pub/café and find your transport gone; then as an added bonus your insurance premium will be loaded for the next few years.
As always, horses for courses. I know a lot of people just do circuits starting and ending at home; but I prefer to abandon the bike somewhere and go to eat, drink, window shop or whatever. I currently use a Kryptonite U lock even if popping in to the local Tesco's for a pint of milk.

screenman

Legendary Member
No matter how much cash I had, there would be a relatively low limit as to how much I would spend on a bike. The main reason being that I would be too scared to leave it anywhere! As it is, I don't like leaving any of my current bikes unattended, and the most expensive of them is probably the Ridgeback Panorama - bought second hand for about £600. It's all very well to say that insurance will sort you out with a new bike, but it's still a hassle to come out of a pub/café and find your transport gone; then as an added bonus your insurance premium will be loaded for the next few years.
As always, horses for courses. I know a lot of people just do circuits starting and ending at home; but I prefer to abandon the bike somewhere and go to eat, drink, window shop or whatever. I currently use a Kryptonite U lock even if popping in to the local Tesco's for a pint of milk.

If you had £500 a week spare money to spend would that change your views, this money is not a one off but for life, and spare money is after everything else is paid for.

Dan B

Disengaged member
If you had £500 a week spare money to spend would that change your views, this money is not a one off but for life, and spare money is after everything else is paid for.
Interesting question: I think that even if I had enough money to treat bikes as basically disposable I still wouldn't, because it's a shocking waste of natural resources.

That said, I'm not the person you asked it of: I have some bikes I'm willing to leave locked up all day/overnight in public, some I'll lock for an hour or two, and one that never leaves my sight unless it's inside the house.

screenman

Legendary Member
Interesting question: I think that even if I had enough money to treat bikes as basically disposable I still wouldn't, because it's a shocking waste of natural resources.

That said, I'm not the person you asked it of: I have some bikes I'm willing to leave locked up all day/overnight in public, some I'll lock for an hour or two, and one that never leaves my sight unless it's inside the house.

My cheapest bike would cost about £800 to replace and I value money so I am reasonably careful where I leave them.

Dan B

Disengaged member
My cheapest bike would cost about £800 to replace and I value money so I am reasonably careful where I leave them.
My two cheapest bikes were both built up by me from parts sourced on Ebay and if I priced the time spent putting them together would probably not be my two cheapest bikes at all

Having said that, I have three children under the age of six, so £500/week spare money is a very hypothetical question indeed - I am sure we'd find uses for it in fairly short order

screenman

Legendary Member
Kids are great at removing disposable from your wallet, it takes many years before they get out of the habit. Also had three, but with a wider spacing.

Tin Pot

Guru
No matter how much cash I had, there would be a relatively low limit as to how much I would spend on a bike.
Totally agree.

People who have little free cash can have a very skewed perspective of the world and end up spending all their free cash on a hobby. They then conclude that if they had more free cash they'd still spend it all on that hobby.

When you do have more free cash you realise you need to spend some on your hobbies, but more on other things; assets, pensions, boring stuff, only then the luxuries.

screenman

Legendary Member
Totally agree.

People who have little free cash can have a very skewed perspective of the world and end up spending all their free cash on a hobby. They then conclude that if they had more free cash they'd still spend it all on that hobby.

When you do have more free cash you realise you need to spend some on your hobbies, but more on other things; assets, pensions, boring stuff, only then the luxuries.

There are plenty of people who still have fun money after all those things.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I doubt if it would change my views. All the money in the world isn't going to stop some thieving low life helping themselves to your bike if they really want it; and you are therefore back to the problems as previously stated re being left in the lurch without a bike. Sometimes a replacement just doesn't cut it when you have owned a bike for a while and personalised it with accessories and upgrades to make it "yours" rather than just another off the peg bike from a shop.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I wonder how many of us would still be cycling if we had huge amounts of money, I doubt that I would.
I would, because cycling is my life.

Actually, to expand on what I posted: I'd be cycling various Alps around the world, perhaps with my own domestique to carry my luggage, handle hotel bookings for me, etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom