Hard for non-cyclists to comprehend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Well said, I echo your comments exactly.

I marked my 60th birthday by staging a bike race for myself and some buddies at a nearby track. I was also fortunate in being able to test-ride about a dozen super-bikes at the Cyclist magazine open day and one particular bike absolutely blew me and my son away so I bought it as a reward to myself for years of hard work and modest aspiration. It didn't disappoint, it gives me a great deal of pleasure and it is definitely faster and more fun than the sensible endurance bike I bought a couple of years earlier. I feel completely justified in spending that money, which is less and commits me to much less ongoing expenditure than a motorbike, sports car, boat or any other high-maintenance boy's toy. It's an excellent incentive to get out and ride and I'm sure it will give me many years of healthy exercise and keep me fit and less of a burden on the NHS. One small benefit is that in over a year of use I have not had to make one single adjustment to the bike apart from taking up the wear in the brake pads, so well was it built and so good are the Dura Ace components.

Last edited:

Oldfentiger

Veteran
The Missus and I took part in Eroica Britannia this year, including the easy 25 mile ride on the Sunday. It was baking hot, so when there appeared a convenient tree offering shade we stopped to have a drink. There were a couple of chaps already there, doing the same thing.
One of these fellows was I guess in his 60's, dressed head to foot in Bianchi kit, standing next to his pristine brand new Bianchi mountain bike. I found it sad that, when I attempted to exchange the usual pleasantries, all he wanted to do was explain why he was on a new Bianchi mountain bike instead of his new Bianchi road bike. Apparently his road bike was shod with tubs which were unsuitable for Eroica gravel roads. I would add that he looked a bit comical in his tight fitting Bianchi kit, with a physique akin to humpty dumpty.
I dunno why he wanted to make excuses for what he was riding, other than to boast that he had two Bianchi bikes. I didn't care, and Mrs OFT was trying to stifle a yawn. Eroica rules call for pre-1987 bikes, no mountain bikes, and no lycra.
Sad innit?
We paid more to be at the event than both of our bikes cost collectively. :laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member
Aren't Bianchi frames made in Thailand? Nothing wrong at all with that, but people still trying to eat out on their 1970s image seem at a loss to comprehend that while their modern far eastern product may be technically excellent, the brand cachet exists today only in the minds of increasingly old duffers. The rest of us couldn't care less.

hoopdriver

Guru
Aren't Bianchi frames made in Thailand? Nothing wrong at all with that, but people still trying to eat out on their 1970s image seem at a loss to comprehend that while their modern far eastern product may be technically excellent, the brand cachet exists today only in the minds of increasingly old duffers. The rest of us couldn't care less.
Your point?

Drago

Legendary Member
My point is, as stated should you care to read the post in full, that no one cares, except Bianchi owners who are making feigned apologies for not riding their other Bianchi.

Its like car ownership willy wagging. No one who matters cares anyway. Ride what suits you, and neither make apologies on the one hand or brag on the other, because its wasted breath. No one else cares.

hoopdriver

Guru
I did read your post - in its full glorious entirety.

Who decides who matters?

I agree people should ride whatever they like and make no excuses or boasts. There is of course the chance that the guy in question was doing neither, but feeling a bit sheepish about showing up on a mountain bike at an event where there were not supposed to be mountain bikes

Drago

Legendary Member
Who decides what matters? That's a philosophical question, and relates not at all to my comments.

My observation is no one else cares - nothing more or less. If you wish to attribute other meaning then that's your business, not mine.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I did read your post - in its full glorious entirety.

Who decides who matters?

I agree people should ride whatever they like and make no excuses or boasts. There is of course the chance that the guy in question was doing neither, but feeling a bit sheepish about showing up on a mountain bike at an event where there were not supposed to be mountain bikes
Of course that could be correct. But why did I need to know that his other bike was also a Bianchi? Classic case of badge snobbery.

Drago

Legendary Member
Of course that could be correct. But why did I need to know that his other bike was also a Bianchi? Classic case of badge snobbery.

Am I correct in presuming that you didn't care?

hoopdriver

Guru
Maybe a case of badge snobbery. Maybe a guy just prattling away without a thought. Why not look at it that way? Why so judgemental?

Last edited:

Jason

Well said, I echo your comments exactly.

I marked my 60th birthday by staging a bike race for myself and some buddies at a nearby track. I was also fortunate in being able to test-ride about a dozen super-bikes at the Cyclist magazine open day and one particular bike absolutely blew me and my son away so I bought it as a reward to myself for years of hard work and modest aspiration. It didn't disappoint, it gives me a great deal of pleasure and it is definitely faster and more fun than the sensible endurance bike I bought a couple of years earlier. I feel completely justified in spending that money, which is less and commits me to much less ongoing expenditure than a motorbike, sports car, boat or any other high-maintenance boy's toy. It's an excellent incentive to get out and ride and I'm sure it will give me many years of healthy exercise and keep me fit and less of a burden on the NHS. One small benefit is that in over a year of use I have not had to make one single adjustment to the bike apart from taking up the wear in the brake pads, so well was it built and so good are the Dura Ace components.

what is this super bike of the bike world?

Top Bottom