Hard for non-cyclists to comprehend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The sports cars that hammond, may and clarkson rave about on tv can cost 20x more than a very nice family car. A very nice everday bike can be had for about £500 which makes an exotic bike, pro rata in the region of £10,000. You can spend that on a bike if you try hard enough but it makes 4-6k seem quite reasonable.

bpsmith

Veteran
Just out of interest, what ball park figure would be classed as expensive in Bike terms?

I am aware that this will differ between people, but interested in your views, to get a rough average.

I only ask, as I wouldn't class mine as expensive, but wondering if my view differs from that average.

Another thought on the (rather sad) "more money than sense" thing. Isn't it everyone's ambition?

If you have less money than sense, are you not some sort of failure - unless, of course, money is not important to you, but then, why go on about it like that if it isn't?

Julia9054

Guru
Let's face it, we are all a bit judgy about how other people spend their disposable income (even if we recognise that it's not a particularly nice thing to do)
Especially if people have a lot more disposable income than us.

pjd57

Veteran
I ride a ten year old bike that I got through C2W.
Yes I'd like a new one but anything better would be more than I can justify spending.

Often the people who think it's crazy to pay several thousand pounds for a bike are happy to spend that amount on the latest TV, when £300 gets you a perfectly good one.

Julia9054

Guru
I ride a ten year old bike that I got through C2W.
Yes I'd like a new one but anything better would be more than I can justify spending.

Often the people who think it's crazy to pay several thousand pounds for a bike are happy to spend that amount on the latest TV, when £300 gets you a perfectly good one.
You can do C2W more than once.

It's all to easy to go crazy as far as bike buying is concerned. Personally speaking, if a bike costs more than 1 months income, it would have to be quite something ( engineering wise ) to warrant my interest, that said, I did once nearly do something daft re: bike purchasing, because the bike was a serious bit of engineering:whistle:

huggy

If you are on the dole and struggling then £250 for a bike is expensive. If you are on 100k per annum then eight grand for one is cheap.

How expensive something is is not dictated by the wealth of the buyer, that is affordability. A £10k bike is always an expensive bike.

Lonestar

Veteran
Every bike I have ever owned is worth more than my car which is worth nothing.

Guy at work bought a bike for 7 grand but sadly he's stopped cycling now.He was really keen for a little while and he has changed from when he first started on the job.Doesn't seem as happy,now.He was the life and soul of the party at one time but he isn't anymore.:sad:

Last edited:
Top Bottom