Hard for non-cyclists to comprehend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And that's going to make a huge difference to your life? Like I said, more money than sense, but, like I also said, you are free to spend your money as you as you wish. :okay:
Personally , I don't ride for strava but for my own enjoyment so a very expensive bike would be wasted on me. I am happy to let faster riders pass me .
I gave you 3 good reasons and one was speed. You picked up on the speed so I gave you the benefit for that. The other reasons were handling and comfort if you remember.

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Very. It's the full set of matching pro kit coordinated with the bike that helps. Probably with former world champion bands on the sleeves if possible. Much easier to spot than having to inspect someone's golf bats.

Don't golfists buy all the pro kit to match their sticks too though? I'm sure I've spotted some done up like that when I've ridden across the golf course - clothes, stick bag, hat, sunnies, glove (they must be expensive as they only ever seem to have one), playing off a 34 handicap... ^_^

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Someone said "If you can afford it..."

Actually - I couldn't afford it.

The Single speed cost over £1,600 to build and a comparable bike (if you could get one) would cost a lot more

I only managed it over several years of scrimping, saving and waiting for bargains

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
And that's going to make a huge difference to your life? Like I said, more money than sense, but, like I also said, you are free to spend your money as you as you wish. :okay:
Personally , I don't ride for strava but for my own enjoyment so a very expensive bike would be wasted on me. I am happy to let faster riders pass me .

Surely it depends upon what gives you pleasure? Having the financial ability to purchase, the enjoyment of a lighter bike, electronic gears, or whatever.
There isn't a requirement for a classic car in my garage but it is there for a variety of reasons. Sure there are times it feels like a money pit, but when things go right the joy can be tremendous.

Ya spends what ya wants on what ya wants...
I'm a semi-pro bass player. My two basses are probably about £1200 replacement value, amps and cabs half as much again, sundries another coupla ton...very very cheap by some standards, but they do the job I need them to do. On the less justifiable side, I transport this kit in an E class Merc estate (an old one, mind)...and wouldn't have it any other way!

As a comparison, a classical double bassist I've met a few times paid £45,000 for her best bass, and not much less for the backup. Kinda puts it into perspective...But she's among the best of the best.

Cycling is no different, surely? You buy what you're happy with. If I had millions tomorrow, I wouldn't change much about my musical gear, no need.
Might buy a nice brand-new bike, though! But not 8k's worth, no matter what dosh I had...
But that's me, it might not be you!
:biggrin:
OK, if millions, I might just get a newer Merc...

Last edited:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
It's funny that people have enough sense to make the money in the first place, but as soon as they spend it on something others wouldn't, they have more money than sense.
I like that ^_^

MarkF

Guru
Our family car is a 2002 Ford Focus, it gets a full service every year so should go for a while yet. I'd value it at £400. But I have 5 bikes, 3 are worth more and my Vespa 10x more. I'm not interested in cars.

bpsmith

Veteran
I used to be into cars, and couldn't understand why people go out and buy the same cars as many others on the commute. It was all about individuality for me, not necessarily expensive. Now I drive a VW Touran, as it covers my needs for family, and bike transportation wise.

As far as bikes are concerned, I am well into them, which has kind of replaced the car thing. Again, they are different to most of what is around here, and I haven't seen another one on my rides, so that pleases me. Are they expensive? Depends who you ask. I would say both are midrange, some might think they are bloody expensive, whilst others would say they are cheap. Does it matter what anyone else thinks? Not to me tbh.

bpsmith

Veteran
It's funny that people have enough sense to make the money in the first place, but as soon as they spend it on something others wouldn't, they have more money than sense.
That's the beauty of it though. They did have more money than sense, until they bought that "expensive" bike. Now they don't again, and so it brings the world back into equilibrium. :smile:

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
Hammond is a plum. He can't take a corner or drive in a straight line without exploding, so any views he has about wheeled transport are to be ignored.

He also has at his Gloucestershire home stone (well, moulded concrete) pillars with a lion atop, and his face in place of the lions. This says all we need to know about the oompa loompa's character.

773a1c9108281.560cb51a95af5.jpg

I'm dying. I used to not think much of Hammond but he's just gone way up in my opinion.

Top Bottom