Hard for non-cyclists to comprehend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RyanB98

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
We own a 1995 Fiat Panda

The scrap value probably wouldn't cover the cost of the wheel-set on either of my bikes

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
One reason for this could be the mid life crisis. I was in the LBS a couple of months ago and one of the guys who does repairs there said that in the past few years when cycling has become more and more popular he has noticed a different trend in the behaviour of middle aged men having their mid life crisis. Whereas it used to be the thing that the mid life crisis would manifest itself by people going to the gym and buying a new sports car, more and more are now dressing in lycra and spending 7 or 8 grand on a push bike.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
One reason for this could be the mid life crisis. I was in the LBS a couple of months ago and one of the guys who does repairs there said that in the past few years when cycling has become more and more popular he has noticed a different trend in the behaviour of middle aged men having their mid life crisis. Whereas it used to be the thing that the mid life crisis would manifest itself by people going to the gym and buying a new sports car, more and more are now dressing in lycra and spending 7 or 8 grand on a push bike.
Personally, I pedal my bike, I don't push it.

Drago

Legendary Member
Hammond is a plum. He can't take a corner or drive in a straight line without exploding, so any views he has about wheeled transport are to be ignored.

He also has at his Gloucestershire home stone (well, moulded concrete) pillars with a lion atop, and his face in place of the lions. This says all we need to know about the oompa loompa's character.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
1998 Ford Mondeo, my insurance is more than the cars worth and my trike would buy a nice second hand car.

Why would a middle aged man spend 7 to 8 000 pounds on a bicycle? I certainly wouldn't as it wouldn't make you go faster with middle aged legs. More money than sense IMO.
No just more money than you. I spent a lot on my latest bike and it's faster, handles better and is more comfortable than my cheaper older bike. Makes perfect sense to buy it as I can afford it and will benefit from it

I don't understand why people buy clothes and wear them once

I don't understand why grown men buy airfix kits and spend hours gluing the things together, painting the insides before gluing a top on

But more than that I don't understand why people take a blind bit of notice of what Hammond says

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
No just more money than you. I spent a lot on my latest bike and it's faster, handles better and is more comfortable than my cheaper older bike. Makes perfect sense to buy it as I can afford it and will benefit from it
Can you keep up with younger riders though? I go out with my stepson who is 20 years younger than me and he can leave me standing whenever he wants too.
I still believe the engine is more important than the bike but, it is your money and your decision alone to spend it as you wish.

Last edited:
Top Bottom