Hard for non-cyclists to comprehend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why would a middle aged man spend 7 to 8 000 pounds on a bicycle? I certainly wouldn't as it wouldn't make you go faster with middle aged legs. More money than sense IMO.
Because I can and it is my money?

hoopdriver

Guru
Can you keep up with younger riders though? I go out with my stepson who is 20 years younger than me and he can leave me standing whenever he wants too.
I still believe the engine is more important than the bike but, it is your money and your decision alone to spend it as you wish.
What about the pleasure of ownership? The appreciation of beautiful finely made things?

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Can you keep up with younger riders though? I go out with my stepson who is 20 years younger than me and he can leave me standing whenever he wants too.
I still believe the engine is more important than the bike but, it is your money and your decision alone to spend it as you wish.
If a bike is better made, more comfortable, handles better, and generally is more pleasuable to ride, then you're more likely to ride, surely?

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
No but it's added around 1.5 mph to my average speed.
And that's going to make a huge difference to your life? Like I said, more money than sense, but, like I also said, you are free to spend your money as you as you wish. :okay:
Personally , I don't ride for strava but for my own enjoyment so a very expensive bike would be wasted on me. I am happy to let faster riders pass me .

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
lbi_df572268efb8b6ff02f4f479f8570586_70_70_ffffff_85.jpg

Nike Vapor Fly Golf Irons
(Mens / Right Handed / Steel) - Engineered To Fly Far With Maximum Launch - rrp £599.99*

- hard for me to comprehend! Ludicrous - but then I don't play golf. I don't think £1000 for a bike is expensive, I've just spent £258 on two tyres for the car, for the price of 4 tyres I could have bought a reasonable entry level bike. My best bike is full carbon, Ultegra etc, around 8kg, good wheels - can I do it justice? - Of course not, I'm almost 70, replacement hip, sciatica, hard to ride more than a few miles now. So what - it's easier to ride than some old clunker, and I enjoy it.

edit - *that's just for the one club by the way

Last edited:

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
That is an utterly ridiculous statement, unless you can show us a scientific calculation showing the correct ratio of money to sense?
I believe Boris Johnson's worth a few quid?

Bad example, I know. And he certainly doesn't ride anything special.

keithmac

Guru
If you can afford it and enjoy using it why not spend a small fortune on a bike?.

My mate goes fishing and years ago he bought a "carbon pole", basically a long stick with some rubber band on the end, this was at least 15 years ago and he spent over a grand on it!, for a stick..

I've spent over a thousand pounds for a car clutch before, but it was what I was into at the time (1/4 mile drag racing) so money well spent.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
If you can afford it and will get some use / enjoyment from it, why not?

It's the same reason that petrolheads buy a Ferrari when a Vauxhall does everything you actually need from a car, or why boatists buy a Sunseeker, or why scribblers buy a Mont Blanc.
OK, you get a few teapots who buy expensive stuff to prove to everyone how much money they've got, but they're a tiny minority and usually easily spotted.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
OK, you get a few teapots who buy expensive stuff to prove to everyone how much money they've got, but they're a tiny minority and usually easily spotted.
Very. It's the full set of matching pro kit coordinated with the bike that helps. Probably with former world champion bands on the sleeves if possible. Much easier to spot than having to inspect someone's golf bats.

Top Bottom