Hard for non-cyclists to comprehend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I wonder how many of us would still be cycling if we had huge amounts of money, I doubt that I would.
It would give me a chance to cycle nicer exotic places and for longer.

swansonj

Guru
It would give me a chance to cycle nicer exotic places and for longer.
This. If I were free from financial, time, and work constraints, I would start by heading to the Alps for a month. But I'd take with me the self-same heavy, solid, comfortable and reliable bike with its 17" bottom gear that I commute on and do my leisure riding on, that I've now had ten years.

Jimidh

Veteran
I wonder how many of us would still be cycling if we had huge amounts of money, I doubt that I would.
I thing the majority of us cycle because we love bikes and cycling and not through necessity.

If money was no object I could certainly find a way of adding a few more expensive bikes to my fleet.

screenman

Legendary Member
I thing the majority of us cycle because we love bikes and cycling and not through necessity.

If money was no object I could certainly find a way of adding a few more expensive bikes to my fleet.

How do you know that, money can and often does change a person.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I often say that, were I to win a Lotto jackpot, I wouldn't tell Mrs.66 as it would just scare her.

I'd just leave the house every week day, en velo, go and do a fifty-miler, then go to the local tennis club for some lunch, a three set knock up, an hour or so in the gym, a massage and a shower.

I'd then go back home and say to Mrs. 66, "phew, you wouldn't believe the day I've had..."

(In fairness to me, I'd also make sure she and the kids got nicer holidays)

screenman

Legendary Member
I would, because cycling is my life.

Actually, to expand on what I posted: I'd be cycling various Alps around the world, perhaps with my own domestique to carry my luggage, handle hotel bookings for me, etc.

Despite riding bikes for 50+ years and racing on and off for about 35 of them I cannot say they are my life, way to many other things going on. Family, friends, and more that have always ranked higher.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
This. If I were free from financial, time, and work constraints, I would start by heading to the Alps for a month. But I'd take with me the self-same heavy, solid, comfortable and reliable bike with its 17" bottom gear that I commute on and do my leisure riding on, that I've now had ten years.
This. I already could probably choose to drive or take taxis whenever I wanted but cycling is just so nice. If I get silly money, I'd probably ride even more because I'd pick and choose what work to do and my loved ones could take more time off too, plus I'd spend more on trying to improve cycling conditions in this country.

Jimidh

Veteran

Money can change some people for sure but from what I see most people who come into large amounts of money just buy better stuff that already have - bigger house, faster cars, better looking wife!!!

I've got two perfectly good cars sitting in my driveway but I chose to cycle to work(30 round trip) because I want to not because of any financial or environmental reason to do so.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Despite riding bikes for 50+ years and racing on and off for about 35 of them I cannot say they are my life, way to many other things going on. Family, friends, and more that have always ranked higher.
I don't have my own family (and probably never will), nor do I have any friends, so cycling gives me a reason to go on.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
If I won the lottery, Mrs OFT and I would have a big problem.
She would want to be jetting off everywhere to see as many far away wonderful places in the shortest time possible.
Me? I would drive down to Southampton, and buy a big boat.
I would then spend my time cruising round the world in my own space and at my own leisurely pace. I'd make sure to stow a bike or two on board though.

I also maintain that, after a couple of months, Mrs OFT would be waiting at some Mediterranean port, asking if she could join me :becool:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I doubt if it would change my views. All the money in the world isn't going to stop some thieving low life helping themselves to your bike if they really want it; and you are therefore back to the problems as previously stated re being left in the lurch without a bike. Sometimes a replacement just doesn't cut it when you have owned a bike for a while and personalised it with accessories and upgrades to make it "yours" rather than just another off the peg bike from a shop.
If you were a Premier League footballer earning £250k per week or one of the many other professions where salaries are counted in millions your views of "Cheap" would change. Having to replace an 8k bike wouldn't even dent your loose change.

Top Bottom