Harry and Meghan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And it's important for those of us who understand something of etymology - which include Ms. Vine and the Mail subeds who wrote the subhead - not to get carried away. The words niggle and niggardly have nothing to do with racism. The Mail is so full of any number of egregious examples of racism, sexism and any other kind of prejudice you can think of that you don't need to go inventing slights that at worst will be designed to attract the attention of right-on useful mugs for the Mail to laugh at.
Yes, personally I knew that. But I still feel that using it accompany photo is definitely a dog-whistle.

And even forgetting the n-word, it's an unpleasant word to use in this circumstance. It says "something worries me about this union, but I can't quite put my finger on it". It's like when people (lead by Trump) said Hillary wasn't presidential. What they meant - dog-whistle style - was that she didn't have a penis. But they didn't say it, so they couldn't be called on it. And if Ms Vine says "I have a niggling doubt about this union" but don't say it's because of her ethnicity, then those who are uncomfortable with it will understand it as that, and we can't call her on it, because she never actually said that race was the problem.

Aside: "dog-whistle" is an Australian term, and I am unjustifiably proud that the rest of the world is using it now. I could give two shoots about the Ashes series, but I happy this phrase has currency.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
A good way to tell if a particular word is the best choice in a given context is to consider what alternative synonyms exist. If a dictionary needs to use a phrase to define a word, that's a usually a clue that there aren't any.

I'm trying my best to be offended by the DM's "niggling", but failing miserably. I clearly need more practice.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
definitely a dog-whistle

We're humans, not dogs. We have a choice about how we respond. I'm simply suggesting that when the Daily Hate pushes buttons we choose not to respond. Responding to the minor niggles makes a response to blatant hate less powerful.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
No I don't think so. I am asking a simple straightforward question. What is it that Sarah Vine has identified in her column as her niggling worry about the photo?
Because I have nothing better to do, I have read the article on line.

The basic premise is that Sarah Vine is worried that the Royal Family are becoming a soap opera.

She would rather Harry married a shy retiring girl, not some actress. But seem to forget that the job of Princess doesn’t really suit wall flowers because the Press would rip her to shreds for being too private.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Untitled.jpg

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...sed-in-blood-of-400000-lizards-20180308145520

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Oh dear. It’s all turning into a soap opera.
Megan’s dad has pulled out at the last minute and her other family members appear to bear grudges too.
Maybe this is why Royals don’t often marry commoners.

Megan is a vociferous feminist and social climber with an agenda. Now that her royal status has been revoked she’s got the perfect platform for her views.
Harry on the other hand is just having strings pulled by her, he’s under the thumb big time. Shame his love for the women blinds him to reality. Anyway, non of this will matter, they’ll be divorced in the not too distant.

AndyRM

XOXO
Megan is a vociferous feminist and social climber with an agenda. Now that her royal status has been revoked she’s got the perfect platform for her views.
Harry on the other hand is just having strings pulled by her, he’s under the thumb big time. Shame his love for the women blinds him to reality. Anyway, non of this will matter, they’ll be divorced in the not too distant.

You say that like it's a bad thing?

I'm still amazed by the number of people who are privy to the nuances of their relationship.

Drago

Legendary Member
Well, Justin Trudeau has been sticking his oar in moaning about the cost of security, when no one has approached his government and asked for a penny, so WTF it has to do with him at this juncture is anyones guess. An old fashioned idea, I know, but perhaps he should stick to the business of running a country?

Heres a picture of Trudeau for those that don't know hum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom