Has anybody else noticed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Mad Doug Biker said:
People who do not have dogs or hate dogs are the losers IMHO, seriously!

Well, thanks. I will rush out and get one, I'm sure it would be quite happy in my one room second floor flat.

I'll tell my Mum she must get one too, she needs all the extra walks and so on. And my sister, with two small children, a dog is just what she needs to fill all that spare time she has...

Be a bit more careful with your wording, eh? I'd like a dog, one day, but I've never been in a situation where owning one would be practical, or responsible for the dog's wellbeing.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Oh, and while we're putting down the plebs...

They don't rinse stuff before putting it in their recycling boxes.

Well, actually, some do, and plenty of the posher folk don't, but there is a certain scumminess in some areas - they also sometimes think we recycle used nappies/condoms/dead ducks.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
snorri said:
So you ARE in bandit country and like to have an animal which will cause concern to innocent passers by.

No, remember, Bruno was a Therapet and Cindy is just very friendly. We don't have them to provoke people. We'd rather people came and said hello to them than running away.

Just because we have a burglar alarm means nothing, most properties do have one.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I hope this makes sense because I'm tired here.

Arch said:
Be a bit more careful with your wording, eh? I'd like a dog, one day, but I've never been in a situation where owning one would be practical, or responsible for the dog's wellbeing.

I didn't meant it in a bad way (why would I? what have I to gain from that?) what I was saying about how you get so much richness out of it all can be substituted with other things instead.

It's just, after everything that the two dogs have given me over the years, I honestly can't imagine myself not having dogs now and feel that somehow my own life would have genuinely lost something.

I was saying that people who don't have dogs loose out on the simple things that go with it all such as going for gentle walks every day round your local area, or going to places you normally just wouldn't (because there otherwise isn't any need I'll admit), and of seeing things changing from day to day which you might otherwise never see ...in short it's just your building up a deep deep appreciation and understanding for you area and people because you aren't moving very quickly.

BUT, there are other ways of getting this too, don't get me wrong. I guess that cycling is one way, but it's different - you are at such a quicker pace on a bike so you are more likely to miss little tiny things as you navigate your way past me and one of the dogs, or you swerve round a car that has suddenly appeared.

Kids are another way but that is different yet again.

I didn't mean what I said in a bad way, just highlighting one of the things people miss without dogs.

I'm pretty sure anyone here would happily say that people who do not cycle are loosing out on the experience, and that is in essence what I am saying about dogs!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Mad Doug Biker said:
I didn't mean what I said in a bad way, just highlighting one of the things people miss without dogs.

I guessed that, but sometimes it's good to think about how dogmatic (sorry!) you are sounding...

For all the good reasons to have dogs, there are also good reasons not to.

Less hair on the carpet to start with.

p.s. yes, I have a dog and wouldn't want it any other way.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Sorry, I'll try no to be so Dogmatic then.

Also, reasons against?? really?? why if you didn't have one then you would miss the joy of, on a *REALLY* cold day, getting to pick up a nice, hand warming, jobie (pooh) in a bio - bag!!
That simple feeling of warmth and the whole joy of helping a fellow being is reason enough in itself to have one!! :smile:

MancRider78

So in a nut shell having a dog for altuistic reasons, companionship exercise and the like is good....

BUT having a status dog, bad rep breed, ect and being a pain in your area is bad.

I know someone with staf crosses and every one that can tell breeds calls their own dogs to heel or pulls them back. My friends dogs are trained to voice and two of the best behaved dogs I have known. Shame dogs get a rep from the people that own them.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
MancRider78 said:
So in a nut shell having a dog for altuistic reasons, companionship exercise and the like is good....

BUT having a status dog, bad rep breed, ect and being a pain in your area is bad.

I know someone with staf crosses and every one that can tell breeds calls their own dogs to heel or pulls them back. My friends dogs are trained to voice and two of the best behaved dogs I have known. Shame dogs get a rep from the people that own them.

I know, tell me about it!!

Bruno is a Staffie/Heinz 57 Crossbreed and Cindy is a small Staffie tripod, but you couldn't meet two nicer dogs!

They were both rescue dogs so no,they AREN'T status dogs at all (who would want a 3 legged Staffie as a status dog anyway? it just wouldn't work somehow - just tell her to give a paw and she'll fall over, after giving you what looks more like a mini Nazi salute. She's black and disabled, but shhh!!:smile:).

MancRider78 said:

Ours is a staffie/collie cross. she pulls a bit on the lead, but that is our fault for lack of proper training. When off the lead she is never far away and comes when called. If she sees another dog she will drop to the floor giving me time to get to her and put the lead on.

Top Bottom