Has anybody else noticed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
on the road said:
Some people are allergic to dogs, so I imagine that would be a good reason for not having a dog.

I'm certainly allergic to the three yapping ones next door...........

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Aff! just get yourself a bubblesuit!! and see how many seconds it lasts! :smile:

BearPear

Veteran
Don't forget the owners who let their dogs run off the lead and then they bound up to your small child (who is very scared of dogs) and they always come out with the classic "it's all right, he won't hurt you!"

I'm sorry, but your dog shouldn't be bounding up to, and putting its paws on my child, end of. The owners then get narky if you explain that the child isn't comfortable with dogs, and that somehow its your fault that their dog isn't properly trained!

As for the delightful dog owners who can be found swigging cans of wife-beater at 10am, I work with benefit claimants and have come across someone who would rather be homeless than take a house which didn't take pets - complete lack of priorities?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cynical answer: because it attracts soft people who like dogs, to give money.

Non-cynical answer: because when you're homeless, and everything's gone wrong, and society seems to have dumped you, at least a dog will be company and not judge you.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
BearPear said:
Don't forget the owners who let their dogs run off the lead and then they bound up to your small child (who is very scared of dogs) and they always come out with the classic "it's all right, he won't hurt you!"

Letting your dog run about off the lead is Irresponsible Dog Ownership.
It's not just dangerous for those around you, but it's also dangerous for the dog and any other dogs it meets whilst untethered.

HOWEVER, most dogs ARE OK, take Bruno who's a former Therapet for example and is more likely to sniff and lick you than do anything else before carry on with what he was doing, which would be sniffing the ground intently.

It's not a 'Classic' line in the sense of it being a cop out, it is usually is quite genuine.

If you have a kid who is scared of dogs, fair dos, but the thing is, you never quite KNOW how people will react. They might love dogs themselves, you just don't know, and that is half of the problem I'm afraid!

Bruno is so old, blind and doddery these days that he's more likely to walk into your kid by accident anyway!! :smile: (if he was off the lead that is, which he wouldn't be, which is more for his own safety now) and even then I can bet he'd just carry on doddering without taking much notice other than a few sniffs (he walks into things all the time these days, it must be a bit sore for him at times, particularly things like lamp posts).

Cindy is more boisterous though and I can understand why she might appear a bit upsetting at first, 3 legs or not (that sometimes brings the 'Cute factor' though, so you never quite know ow people will react to her SEE ABOVE).

Also, regarding extentable leads, if a dog is walking a little bit in front me or a bit to the side, there will NATURALLY be situations where the dog might be closer to you that it is to me for a second or two until I get the lead rolled in.
I am under control of the dog and will pull them back asap, but at the same time, a dogs walking pace tends to be faster than a human, so you do have to let them get some exercise at their pace (even though it's just, say a couple of paces further forwards), as otherwise that isn't fair to the dog.
Normally I'll be careful, but if the dog gets to a blind corner before I've been able to react, then, sorry, but these things happen unfortunately!

In short yes, dogs should be on the leads at all times, but a dog owner doesn't know who and who not doesn't like dogs also.

It's ok for you to go on about 'The classic Line', but yet again, I don't know how you are going to react, do I?? (admittedly a dog should be far enough back anyway, BUT IT ISN'T ALWAYS EASY OR POSSIBLE INTIALLY).

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Touche said:
A couple of guesses

- Helps to keep them warm of a cold day/night
- Adds to the sympathy factor and attracts more/larger donations

If you had a dog and was then made homeless and no other choice but to look after it. I'm not sure what I'd do in that situation but I'd be loath to let mine go.

And probably for protection or the appearance of that as the streets are mean mean place you know.

Of course, it isn't really fair for the dog,but they don't really know any better, so for them it's probably all quite fun.

Brahan

Über Member
MancRider78 said:
Ah the other one, why do so many homeless people have dogs on the blankets next to them?

Either to have sex with or eat when it dies. They're 2 important functions of human beings, although not much of a motivator for the dog to stick around.

Or possibly as a defiant show to the world that, 'for all I'm homeless and unable to look after myself, I can still take care of a mutt.'

Out of interest, if you (being a person with a home) kept a dog outside all the time, wouldn't the RSCPA be interested to hear? :smile:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
BearPear said:
I work with benefit claimants and have come across someone who would rather be homeless than take a house which didn't take pets - complete lack of priorities?

They just love their animals that and have higher standards (although it's at a lower level) than yourself??
Not everyone can or wants to give up their animals as if they are disposable objects you know. I love mine too much to give them away.

Or do you mean that the person was a S**t and was using it just as a status symbol and had it for all the other reasons??

Brahan said:
Out of interest, if you (being a person with a home) kept a dog outside all the time, wouldn't the RSCPA be interested to hear? :smile:

Probably not. Nothing wrong with keeping a dog outside. What matters is it's condition and ability to take shelter when needed.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Brahan said:
Either to have sex with or eat when it dies. They're 2 important functions of human beings, although not much of a motivator for the dog to stick around.

ROFL!!

Or possibly as a defiant show to the world that, 'for all I'm homeless and unable to look after myself, I can still take care of a mutt.'
That probably is part of it, yes, or, as I say, if the person was made homeless and had to take the dog as well.

Some breeds have come about to be inside more than others, but actually, dogs naturally live outside,so, in a sense, although they might not be terribly happy, they are in the environment that they were meant for.

Just look at Wild dogs, look at Wolves, look at Huskies that spend the night covered in snow for example, caninekind has a large capacity for living out in the open.

Of course, being out in the pishing rain or freezing cold wont be too popular with most who are used to being inside!

on the road

Über Member
Brahan said:
No, not if it had a kennel. If the RSPCA went to a home where a dog was kept outside all the time with no shelter, they would give the owner an ultimatum to either provide shelter for it (whether it's inside the house or some form of kennel) or to sign the dog over to the RSPCA.

Don't forget, guard dogs are kept outside all the time, but they have kennels.

Top Bottom