Has your helmet saved your life poll

How has the cycle helmet preformed for you

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
That the 11+ exam was a valid model for life.
Before my time, Wise Old Elf...

swansonj

Guru
It's been a long time since I've frequented this forum, yet it's basically a total waste of time, upon this experience. More moderators necessary to police this place.

As it's a failure.
At last, something we agree on. Though possibly not on what those moderators should do upon viewing the last ten pages of this thread...

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Anyway lay, are you going to share the details of your childhood accident where you smacked your head and a helmet didn't save your life?

I'm not getting all 'twisty-knickered' about anything.

Certain people cannot comprehend that a helmet saves your life FACT

Crazy-assed forum this...

What you have repeatedly been asked is why you think that in a pedestrian the same helmet would NOT save their life.

You have stated that saving a life in this way is "pathetic"

I await the explanation with little faith that there will be one.

Last edited:
Yo
Helmets save lives FACT - what bit of that will you lot NOT ACCEPT !

It has been made crstal clear that on the basis of your "proof" their use should be extended and increased to the other more vulnerable groups

Still awaited is your explanation of how advocating INCREASED helmet use is "anti helmet" and not accepting they work.....

Last edited:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
What you have repeatedly been asked is why you think that in a pedestrian the same helmet would NOT save their life.

You have stated that saving a life in this way is "pathetic"

Now that is crazy
I may have this wrong, but it would appear that lay believes there are no pedestrians.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Would it though? And this is genuine question - if helmets were indeed saving people from serious head injury, how would these people become part of the stats? It seems to me that a major problem for both the sides of the argument is that the vast majority of reported incidents are only reported because they are serious enough to warrant it. There must be a severity threshold beyond which helmets, as sold currently, have no decernable effect. The question then becomes where is that threshold and does it's position justify me wearing, or not wearing, a helmet. I think it does, but I'm happy for that to be my decision and I wouldn't mention it if we were out for a ride together and you didn't have one on.

I agree that no-one can say with absolute certainty that a helmet saved their life without replicating the incident without helmet - which will obviously render them unable to gloat.

Because we would be able to see that non-helmeted riders were over-represented in head injury admissions.
Also, we would see that countries like Australia that brought in mandatory helmets would have a decrease in the rate of head injuries.

Neither of these have happened. Either the effect is so small as to be undetectable, or any beneficial protective effect is offset by other factors making head injuries more likely.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
You, like many in this world will never understand things that are beyond you as per your opinion...

To level yourself in statistics is missing the point - MISSING THE POINT !

Helmets save lives FACT - what bit of that will you lot NOT ACCEPT !

I will keep on till i get bored... LMAO

You writing FACT after a sentence does not make it a fact.

If we want to evaluate a public health intervention we look at the evidence. And the evidence is quite clear that helmets do not have a statistically significant effect at reducing head injuries.

And you still haven't answered why you want to prevent head injuries in cyclists but not in pedestrians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom