Has your helmet saved your life poll

How has the cycle helmet preformed for you

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lay

A failure because people are disagreeing with you?
Your rant above is rather hypocritical when you have just belittled and dismissed people who disagree with you, failed to engage in any kind of reasonable discussion, and called anyone who chooses not to wear a helmet stupid. You're the offensive one.

Does evidence mean nothing to you?

I'm not disagreeing, I'm pointing out my PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE that a helmet saved my life on two/2 occasions - that's personal evidential FACT!

And anyone who disagrees is talking out their arse!

Big Nick

Lay, there's little point knocking someone because they choose not to wear a helmet it's their choice

Take the example of childhood, I rode a bike nearly every day for around 10 years, fell off loads, didn't wear a helmet and not once sustained a serious head injury....was I then justified in not wearing a helmet back then?

I wear a helmet now, in fact have just ridden down the street testing out my new clipless pedals without it and felt naked! It's probably as you get older you get more risk adverse but your own experience helps decide which way you go. I've ridden motorcycles for years before getting back on a bicycle so wearing a helmet is second nature to me so I wear one because it might help prevent injury if I crash not because it definitely will

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I'm not disagreeing, I'm pointing out my PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE that a helmet saved my life on two/2 occasions - that's personal evidential FACT!

Lets put it this way i've hit my head on the ground and IT HURT, seriously..whilst i was a child..

Was this one of the two occasions when wearing a helmet saved your life?

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Now here's a man who knows what it's all about :thumbsup:

I'm not, I'm just astounded that there're people who have these opinions.

And I'm astounded that you can't adequately explain why you are in favour of saving cyclists from head injuries but you're not in favour of saving pedestrians.

benb

Evidence based cyclist

You have no idea whether the helmet saved your life or not.
Even if it did, that has no bearing on whether overall helmets are significantly effective at reducing head injuries.

As I said earlier, if helmets were as effective as you'd have us believe, we would be able to detect that in the stats. But there is no such evidence.

adscrim

Veteran
As I said earlier, if helmets were as effective as you'd have us believe, we would be able to detect that in the stats. But there is no such evidence.
Would it though? And this is genuine question - if helmets were indeed saving people from serious head injury, how would these people become part of the stats? It seems to me that a major problem for both the sides of the argument is that the vast majority of reported incidents are only reported because they are serious enough to warrant it. There must be a severity threshold beyond which helmets, as sold currently, have no decernable effect. The question then becomes where is that threshold and does it's position justify me wearing, or not wearing, a helmet. I think it does, but I'm happy for that to be my decision and I wouldn't mention it if we were out for a ride together and you didn't have one on.

I agree that no-one can say with absolute certainty that a helmet saved their life without replicating the incident without helmet - which will obviously render them unable to gloat.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
No, but then i didnt have the means to acquire a helmet.
Likin' the avatar! :smile:

Licramite

Über Member
I don't think that at all. Certainly not because I think it won't happen to me or because I am special.
In fact I don't know any non helmet wearers who think along those lines.
My reason for not wearing a helmet is that they look **** and unless you are competing, racing, Downhilling, MTB'ing etc then they are not needed for everyday cycling, simple as that.

So Looks are more important than your skull? and why do you think your less likely to crack your skull just pleasure cycling than racing or mountin biking? you come off - or are knocked off - your head will travel roughly the same distance to the ground.

maybe the attitude isn't - its all luck - maybe its "Helmet, flak vest, armoured underwear - if your time is up, your time is up"

lay

And I'm astounded that you can't adequately explain why you are in favour of saving cyclists from head injuries but you're not in favour of saving pedestrians.

Their is NO WAY whatsoever like ive said that all pedestrians would wear helmets - it just wouldnt work, out of redicularity. I see your point, from a hardcore p.o.v. but no.

ANYWAY everyone DRIVES a car nowadays, hardly anyone walks, so....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom