Have you ever been refused entry with your cycle ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

I know there is a similar thread regarding trains, but this is a general one.
I got ordered out of a takeaway a few years ago when I went to pay for some fast food. Didn't carry a lock with me, and was not going to park it up and turn my back on it for any reason.

It was very demeaning as I only went into hand over the money and then would have waited outside, but the dude made me feel about 2ft tall in front of the other customers.
I complained to the MD of the business, and pointed out that I'd been a regular customer of there for over 25 years at that time. He gave a grovelling apology and £20 of food vouchers.

Any other tales to tell ?

Alex H

Legendary Member
Zoo near Dunstable :whistle: - no tandems (or, I assume single bikes) allowed in :ohmy:

BikeLiker

I know there is a similar thread regarding trains, but this is a general one.
I got ordered out of a takeaway a few years ago when I went to pay for some fast food. Didn't carry a lock with me, and was not going to park it up and turn my back on it for any reason.

It was very demeaning as I only went into hand over the money and then would have waited outside, but the dude made me feel about 2ft tall in front of the other customers.
I complained to the MD of the business, and pointed out that I'd been a regular customer of there for over 25 years at that time. He gave a grovelling apology and £20 of food vouchers.

Any other tales to tell ?

I wouldn't expect to be allowed to take my bike into any sort of shop though I occasionally ask first. Yesterday, the Rohan shop in Chester were OK letting me leave it inside while I looked at a jacket, even though I told them I wouldn't be buying anything on that visit.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Yes at a pet supply store, they wouldn't let me take my bike in (when they usually do, even if it means carrying it through and leaving it in the stock area while I walk around the store, then carry it back outside). In response to this random change of heart, I had one of their staff stand outside and mind it for me whilst I bought what I needed. Now they let me take it in!

The key is to politely talk them round and offer an alternative solution, which ends up being unpleasant for them, i.e. standing outside in the cold minding a bike, this should sufficiently change their mind!

Last edited:

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
I got asked to leave Sainsburys when I wheeled the Brom around the clothing section, i.e. nowhere near the food, but was told it was fine if I half folded it :scratch:

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

I wouldn't expect to be allowed to take my bike into any sort of shop though I occasionally ask first. Yesterday, the Rohan shop in Chester were OK letting me leave it inside while I looked at a jacket, even though I told them I wouldn't be buying anything on that visit.

Shop had large glass frontage so I didn't want to lean the bike against it. The bike was clean, and the door is about 3 ft from the till...the space wasn't a food prep area. He didn't give me a chance to order or explain why I was there with it, just pointed to the door and said get out....he doesn't work there any more...just as well as he was a greasy looking individual.

Alex H

Legendary Member
Whipsnade? Woburn? I was ordered out of a large shop called TipTop in France. No bike racks outside, or anything to chain it to, only a handful of people in the store. The store is like a warehouse with hugely wide aisles.

Whipsnade :sad: - Woburn was never any trouble - even got into the park free on Tiger-Moth weekends 'cause we weren't a car :laugh:

I did not expect either, I asked a member of staff and they said I could bring my bike in. Then the manager came out and got all irate. Needless to say I have not been back there since.

Sara_H

Guru
I've been asked to leave 2 separate premises.

First time was tesco metro, only wanted a pint of milk coudn't be bothered to lock bike up. Security guard came and told me off as I was on my way out. I said I wouldn't bother in future, I'd go somewhere more friendly.

Second time was decathlon, had forgotton my lock so went in (it was very quiet, just after opening time on a weekday) security guard said I couldn't go in because of elf and safety, but they would lend me a lock pointing to customer service desk. Walked over, lady says, we just need a £20 deposit for the lock, I say I have no cash, she says we can take it off your card and refund it when you leave. I say "Bugger This" and went to Edinburgh bike co op instead.
I rang the maanager later, he said it was correct that I couldn't take my bike in because of elf and safety. I said "but if I was to come back at about 2pm on sunday, there will be hundreds of children flying round on bikes, scooters, slateboards, rollerboots in a packed store. How is that more safe than me carefully wheeling my bike round an empty store?" He hung up on me.

Sara_H

Guru
Ooh, remembered another one, though this wasn't inside. I had to deliver some papers to court and tried to lock my bike to some street furniture outside and security guard came and stopped me and directed me to some Sheffield stands about five minutes walk away. Theres a car park right next door :angry:

And recently, I had a family funeral to attend at a local crematorium. I rang up in the morning to ask where their bike parking was and was told they didn't have any. As the cremetorium is in massive grounds with billions of parking spaces, I thought this was a poor show. I wrote to beravement services to complain and they said they dont have bike bike parking as no one goes there on a bike. I replied that it didn't take a genious to work out that these two things may be related.

Nice one Sara H Somebody has'nt thought much about it What about the people that work there? I wonder if any of them Cycle to work Must be a NO to that one then perhaps their not used to the cold!
But you would think that there would be some provision for it I took my bike into a "gregs" when I was out and surprizingly no one said anything just served me and that was it and in it was a small branch too.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have a Kickbike. I do not have to pay for it to go on the train as it is not classed as a bike. I ride it into shops and can ride it in pedestrian areas and shopping malls.

Having said that, i usually push it in these areas. But it is not like a bike. I can stop, control and dismount a lot quicker than you can on a bike.

I have never had a problem because people just want to look at it and talk about it.

image_zpsc59536c1.jpg

Steve

Top Bottom