Have you ever been refused entry with your cycle ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
Roll forward 3 years and my parents took me there for my 20th birthday tea. I was refused entry as I was in a wheelchair and would 'constitute a fire hazard'. I said that I didn't smoke but they were not impressed. Now I have full use of my limbs again, I refuse to eat there. I also told, and still tell everyone I know. A small victory but never mind.
:ohmy::eek:

Hip Priest

Veteran
The ladies changing rooms at M&S.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I got stopped cycling up the ramp on Aspen Way to take photos of the beginning of the Prudential London-Surrey ride. ''You'll have to lock the bike and go up by foot.'' The day before, at 4pm, I'd twice been stopped from entering the Ride London event. Eventually, a third security guy told me just ignore them.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I cycled from Accrington to Rochdale to watch my team play there. The stewards hadn't a problem with opening the gate to let me lock my bike up in the ground,but they made me leave my plastic water bottle,helmet,lights, and computer behind as i "might use them as offensive weapons".:huh:

spot on mate. i think its right to give these idiots grief for there anti-cyclist policies.

I've been asked to leave 2 separate premises.

First time was tesco metro, only wanted a pint of milk coudn't be bothered to lock bike up. Security guard came and told me off as I was on my way out. I said I wouldn't bother in future, I'd go somewhere more friendly.

Second time was decathlon, had forgotton my lock so went in (it was very quiet, just after opening time on a weekday) security guard said I couldn't go in because of elf and safety, but they would lend me a lock pointing to customer service desk. Walked over, lady says, we just need a £20 deposit for the lock, I say I have no cash, she says we can take it off your card and refund it when you leave. I say "Bugger This" and went to Edinburgh bike co op instead.
I rang the maanager later, he said it was correct that I couldn't take my bike in because of elf and safety. I said "but if I was to come back at about 2pm on sunday, there will be hundreds of children flying round on bikes, scooters, slateboards, rollerboots in a packed store. How is that more safe than me carefully wheeling my bike round an empty store?" He hung up on me.
n mate

Last edited by a moderator:

Roadrunner78

Never. Maybe noone cares in Scotland. :smile:

I've asked the lady at the lottery/bacco bit in Asda to look after my roadie cause i forgot my lock.

I've wandered around Asda with my Brompton and overheard 2 employees at the self serve strike up a cycling convo.

Took the Brompton folded into the pub and local Spar (really small shop) no problem.

Took it again folded into the coffee shop and as their card machine wasn't working, they kept it behind the counter as i went to the cash machine across the road.

Cycled through McDonalds drive through. i got giggles from the staff but served no probs.

Oh and wandered through the Disney store (buying something for daughter) and shopping centre with unfolded Brompton.

I'll stop there... no wait the chinese double bags our Saturday curry as he knows i turn up with and take my bike into the shop.

Bike friendly? Or noone cares? :thumbsup:

Sara_H

Guru
Never. Maybe noone cares in Scotland. :smile:

I've asked the lady at the lottery/bacco bit in Asda to look after my roadie cause i forgot my lock.

I've wandered around Asda with my Brompton and overheard 2 employees at the self serve strike up a cycling convo.

Took the Brompton folded into the pub and local Spar (really small shop) no problem.

Took it again folded into the coffee shop and as their card machine wasn't working, they kept it behind the counter as i went to the cash machine across the road.

Cycled through McDonalds drive through. i got giggles from the staff but served no probs.

Oh and wandered through the Disney store (buying something for daughter) and shopping centre with unfolded Brompton.

I'll stop there... no wait the chinese double bags our Saturday curry as he knows i turn up with and take my bike into the shop.

Bike friendly? Or noone cares? :thumbsup:
Has your Bromton got one of those big bags on the front? Because, (and I don't mean to sound offensive because I love Bromptons and am currently saving up for one) I think when they get wheeled round shops it looks a bit like a granny trolley (no offence to granny trolley owners either, I have one myself and use it frequently!).
It might be that shop keepers dont always realise theres a bike in the shop when someone takes a folded brompton with a big bag on it in!

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I've not personally been refused, but St Stephens shopping centre in Hull does not allow bicycles in. Dont know what happens if you buy a 'bike' from Tesco or Sports Direct within the centre :stop:

Cyclopathic

Veteran
couldn't 'drive' through 'not safe' and then wasn't allowed to take the bike in. no lock. was looking at going hungry. in end bloke inside came out took my cash, having ordered on the squawk box, and brought it out to me.

their porridge is ok and so it their coffee.
Nice that someone had a bit of initiative. It's not the workers fault because they would no doubt get into trouble for breaking the rules. I still can't bring myself to spend anything other than a metaphorical penny (sometimes a pound) in the place though. They do have very well kept toilets.

Roadrunner78

Has your Bromton got one of those big bags on the front? Because, (and I don't mean to sound offensive because I love Bromptons and am currently saving up for one) I think when they get wheeled round shops it looks a bit like a granny trolley (no offence to granny trolley owners either, I have one myself and use it frequently!).
It might be that shop keepers dont always realise theres a bike in the shop when someone takes a folded brompton with a big bag on it in!

Na no bag. I don't own one of those bags. Only had the Brompton a week. :smile:

Roadrunner78

Lucky devil, I'm desperate for a Brompton. Realisticly, I have to sell some other bikes first.

I highly recommend one. I just test rode one for fun to see what the fuss was about. Must have! I swear you could keep it as your only bike. Average speeds are good and its a joy to ride. Its an S2L. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom