Have you ever ignored medical advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

That is, from a medical professional? I don't mean listened to and started to implement, only to fall back into old habits (as we are all prone to do) I mean listened to, understood and digested - and thought no, not going to.

I find myself in that postion (details unimportant) and it's a little unsettling tbh. Of course, one is entirely at liberty to make ones own decisions etc but deliberately disregarding the advice of a trained professional is new ground for me. Am I saying i know better than someone who knows infinitely more on the subject? Someone who has spent years training and in pratice.

If you've done it, how did you manage (justify even) your decision?

vickster

Legendary Member
Get a second opinion?
Is it that you don’t agree or you just don’t like the advice for whatever reason?

PK99

Legendary Member
That is, from a medical professional? I don't mean listened to and started to implement, only to fall back into old habits (as we are all prone to do) I mean listened to, understood and digested - and thought no, not going to.

I find myself in that postion (details unimportant) and it's a little unsettling tbh. Of course, one is entirely at liberty to make ones own decisions etc but deliberately disregarding the advice of a trained professional is new ground for me. Am I saying i know better than someone who knows infinitely more on the subject? Someone who has spent years training and in pratice.

At the level of "Drink less alcohol" yes I have.

On anything with real significance, no.

OP
OP
Y

yello

I don't agree and have subsequently read advice that supports my opinion. But in honesty my question was not really about my specific situation and more to do with how others, having made a similar decision, might have framed it. That is, how they balanced disagreeing with 'learned advice'.

gbb

Legendary Member
Fear.
At 19 I had an accident, posted myself between the legs which resulted in 8 hours if surgery, 2 weeks in hospital, 2 months off work and the entire year regaining strength, add around 15 years of slight loss if bladder control. I now have a length if medical tubing in me to replace a shattered part of my urinary system.About 10 years after the accident I was at the docs and happened to mention it and asked..how long does this stuff last (the tubing)
He said , you'd possibly want it replacing after 15 years.
45 years later.....

I have no problems with it, sometimes a very occasional sore prostate but fear, fear of having to go through all that again, I vividly remember when they took out my catheter, the pain sent me to panic breathing and a loss of control (they missed an internal stitch). I remember the numerous shots of morphine while I was spasming and peeing blood, the smell of urine and blood together is awful, acrid.
I won't voluntarily put myself through that again.

Enjoy your breakfast (my emoticons won't work but insert laughing face)

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
A doctor once said to me that my treatment was a joint enterprise. She brought the knowledge of medicine and I brought the knowledge of me as a unique person. Together we made a plan.

If you are disinclined to follow your doctor's advice it suggests there is a misunderstanding somewhere; maybe you have different aims from the doctor - a neighbour recently decided to have a short, but comfortable, life expectancy rather than undergoing difficult treatments to gain a few extra months.

I'd suggest trying to identify the reason you and your doctor are looking at your situation differently.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Enjoy your breakfast (my emoticons won't work but insert laughing face)

A brave, and honest, response. Thank you (and fear not, breakfast long since eaten!)

I know fear is a motivating factor but equally can buy into the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' line of thinking too. You have a perfectly understandable response on both counts.

Reactions: gbb

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats

From your last line

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

OP
OP
Y

yello

A doctor once said to me that my treatment was a joint enterprise.
I like that.

If you are disinclined to follow your doctor's advice it suggests there is a misunderstanding somewhere;
That would be a possibility and equally possible (and partly my case) is that their opinion is based on a different learning framework. From a UK perspective, they have a non-mainstream training and background, one that deviates from what would be regarded as conventional. Gosh, that makes it sound all very hocus-pocus! No, they are completely above board and legit (here in France), just not mainstream thinking. I'm simply applying mainstream UK thinking to a non-mainstream French practitioner's advice.

I mean listened to, understood and digested - and thought no, not going to.
There are a lot of people doing that as we saw during the recent pandemic.
I suppose there is a question of degree.

I'm simply applying mainstream UK thinking to a non-mainstream French practitioner's advice.
It would have been helpful to clarify at the start that you're outside the UK.

In my experience it's not unusual for doctors in different countries to have a different focus or approach, especially in relation to check-ups (as opposed to treatment). I presume, being doctors, that is down to traditional, physical and cultural factors as opposed to incompetence in one or another country. It was particularly noticeable in the area of women's health where what was "normal" in one country was very much not in another, yet I can see no physical reason for significant differences in the length of time between check ups.

What's not clear in your above statement is if your doctor is non-mainstream in France. That may be a cause for investigation. A French doctor who does things differently to a UK doctor? Perhaps not such a concern. A doctor who does things differently to French & UK doctors? Hmmmm.

A doctor's advice depends on two factors - how competent they are and how well they know you and your history. No matter how good a doctor is they cannot work effectively when to all intents and purposes they are blind.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I've got up and walked out of TAU before. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it unless you know what you're doing but obviously the medical / surgical teams didn't.

OP
OP
Y

yello

I've got up and walked out of TAU before. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it unless you know what you're doing but obviously the medical / surgical teams didn't.

I'm sorry, it's probably obvious but what is TAU? I've not come across that acronym before.

Top Bottom