Have you ever ignored medical advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Feel free to ignore my questions, I don't want to be insensitive or cause further pain, or cross the line.

Do you ever feel the need to revisit your decision? (if indeed you have firmly decided not to undergo another procedure) Obviously, if the conversation with the doc had never happened then you would have continued on in a state of not knowing, but them having planted the notion of the 15 year replacement changed things. Are you completely chilled about it (and after 45 years, I kinda guess you must be!) or do you have occasional 'maybe I ought' thoughts?

Its fine Yello, it does mildly play on my mind sometimes, it's not right what I'm doing. Tbf, 99% of the time,I don't even think about it , causes me no problem so I'm reasonably,y happy in my ignorance.
What I should have done was pushed the doctor on his opinion, was it based on fact, just his medical opinion without direct experience, what ?
It's stupid really but I'm like my dad was, really squeamish about surgery, it has no logic, it's just the way i am.

I have however said to my wife, remember this and telll if I ever get serious unexpected medical problems in the stomach area or down below.

I was on long term drugs. After repeated annual tests I was told my kidney function was declining and was now worthy of investigation.

I stopped my medication after some research. The follow up tests resulted in normal kidney function.

Gps aren't interested really. They get fees for conducting annual, regular testing, but dont really give a monkey about the patent these days

I pay for my own private testing

As a kid I had Epileptic fits, IIRC it was Phenytoin. When I moved out, I weened myself off the stuff. And looking back, I suffered at the time from everything that's listed as a common side effect.

1699125185796.png

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/phenytoin-oral-route/side-effects/drg-20072875

OP
OP
Y

yello

it's not right what I'm doing
Why do you say that? What do you think isn't right?

It would have been interesting to know what your doctor would have said if you did push them on it. Because they obviously can't see the future. There's is an opinion too, albeit one (usually) based on loads of learning and a good deal of experience. Any final decision is ultimately yours whether you allow them to guide you or no. I guess the question is whether you are completely comfortable with that decision.

classic33

Leg End Member

CXRAndy

Guru
That's brave of you, you must have found some pretty convincing studies/research.

Your situation is exactly what I was interested in when I started this thread. I'm interested in the motivation to take matters into your own hands, reasons for any distrust you might have in what you've been told and how you handle the fact that you are going against learned advice.

Well it's a whole can of worms. Regarding diet (food types), cholesterol,diabetes, glucose levels, intermittent fasting,keto

The GP practice never told me my glucose levels were in the prediabetic range. I was ignorant (my fault) of these crucial body metrics.

My sister in law was a GP (retired). She says the government pay a fee for every test the practice puts through. Which is fine, but they don't adequately follow up with the data they get.

Sort your diet out , eat Fats, proteins and significantly reduce carbs (endless variety in just about every processed food)and your health will improve

Last edited:
A highly trained medical member of staff - but with very limited time on your case - he/she probably has hundreds if not thousands of patients.

The patient typically has no medical training - but has a 24/7 insight into how they are feeling - which is a valuable pool of knowledge imo.

CXRAndy

Guru
The patient typically has no medical training - but has a 24/7 insight into how they are feeling - which is a valuable pool of knowledge imo.

And a endless resource of knowledge from the internet

Also bear in mind that in these litigation dense times medical professionals will err on the side of caution.

My son (22 at the time) regular footballer and runner - was all set to go to Everest base camp - he went to GP to get some altitude sickness tablets - the GP was running way late and my son had to get to work ...by the time he was called for consultation he was pretty wound up .....GP checked his blood pressure which was very high ...... consequently his blood pressure was very high and GP advised not to do the trip - which he didn't do.

A few weeks later after regularly checking his BP - his BP was normal.

Sensibly my son never had high blood pressure - but equally you can imagine the shoot storm if GP had cleared my son to go up Everest with BP of 180/90 ......

Reactions: gbb
I have ignored medical advice twice in my life.

Once, many moons ago, when I was prescribed medication I knew I didn’t need. I took the prescription but never collected it from the chemist. On the next visit to the GP she told me she could clearly see the medication was working. It seems the placebo effect works both ways!

The last time was more recently when an orthopaedic consultant told me to give but running. Cycling was still ok but running was a no-no. I’ve ran two marathons since and am running a third next April with the aim to get a good for age qualifying time for Boston.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Where do you want to start? With the red nosed, belly-fold, nicotine stained GP who told me my BMI was high, and I need to lose weight (practicing for county swimming at the time)? Or the recommendation that I take statins for cholesterol, as I had a one in six chance of heart problems in later life (five in six chance of not having heart problems sounded good to me)? Or the recommendation I take blood thinners to help prevent stroke (six times more likely to kill me than simple Aspirin, not six times more effective - I take Aspirin)? Or the repeated demand I take a COVID vaccine, despite my being 60+, working outdoors, fit & healthy, taking blood thinners and having had the bloody virus previously?
At the end of the day, an expert is someone who know more and more about less and less. And has been already said, you tend to be the expert on you

Jameshow

Veteran
I was on long term drugs. After repeated annual tests I was told my kidney function was declining and was now worthy of investigation.

I stopped my medication after some research. The follow up tests resulted in normal kidney function.

Gps aren't interested really. They get fees for conducting annual, regular testing, but dont really give a monkey about the patent these days

I'm just going read this out loud to the Mrs.....

I'm now in ward 23 please send chocs and wine gums (no flowers wards don't allow it!) I should be out by the new year!!

classic33

Leg End Member

Fool, money and soon parted springs to mind.

Top Bottom