Have you ever ignored medical advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
the placebo effect works both ways!
Hence double blind drug trials. I was tempted to do the same when they were pressurising me into taking antidepressants, and I think the result would have been the same.
Or the recommendation I take blood thinners to help prevent stroke (six times more likely to kill me than simple Aspirin, not six times more effective - I take Aspirin)?
Preventing stroke in what context?

Atrial fibrillation causes a significant increase in stroke risk, and there's been a lot of research into the best way to manage it. The stroke prevention section in the European Society of Cardiology Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of atrial fibrillation recommend that "antiplatelet [aspirin] therapy should not be used for stroke prevention in AF patients", because "antiplatelet monotherapy is ineffective for stroke preven￾tion and is potentially harmful"

CXRAndy

Guru
Fool, money and soon parted springs to mind.

These are NHS free tests

I've been offered quite a few prescriptions I've decided for myself not to take. One was after a consultant friend if a friend who I got put in contact with about the drug I was prescribed. She had been on them and due to issues followed medical advice to come off the drug. It took over a year to get off them , not due to addiction or anything like that but because of the dangers to health of coming off them. Apparently death was one outcome if not done with care. Her advice was that it was up to me but to think very carefully whether the risks were worth it for the benefits it might give. I handed the drugs in to my local pharmacy.

Another set of drugs I googled and looking at mayo clinics and patient. Co.uk websites led me to decide the benefits of the second drugs was not worth the risks.

Right now I've got a prescription for a prescription strength drug that works very well indeed. However it's one a day and doesn't last 24 hours such that I'm uncomfortable overnight. So I've stopped taking it and using otc drug from that class of drugs but up to 4 times a day as required. It isn't as effective in that it takes until 11am to work but I can take before bed to get a comfortable night.

I think you've got to take a decision based on good knowledge, facts and evidence. Medical professionals are part of that but your judgement needs to be factored in too.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Hence double blind drug trials. I was tempted to do the same when they were pressurising me into taking antidepressants, and I think the result would have been the same.

Preventing stroke in what context?

Atrial fibrillation causes a significant increase in stroke risk, and there's been a lot of research into the best way to manage it. The stroke prevention section in the European Society of Cardiology Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of atrial fibrillation recommend that "antiplatelet [aspirin] therapy should not be used for stroke prevention in AF patients", because "antiplatelet monotherapy is ineffective for stroke preven￾tion and is potentially harmful"

In my case the problem was a clot blocking a blood vessel in one eye, technically a ‘stroke’, causing temporary blindness. As this seemed to indicate a tendency to clotting, they prescribed a thinning drug. Nothing heart related. While somewhat bemused, the doctors had no problem with the Aspirin. Thanks for the ‘heads up’, though.

CXRAndy

Guru
Its sad state, but drug conglomerates are into selling lifelong drug treatments, statins being probably their biggest sellers.

The benefits for the vast majority of users are minimal to say the least. Having a higher cholesterol level as we pass the age of 60 has many benefits , one being a far less risk of dementia into older age.

Statins are a 'trillion' dollar, per year money making product for pharmaceuticals :ohmy:

CXRAndy

Guru
Where did Vicksters post re LDL go?

There are subgroups of LDL, in itself LDL is not a problem.

Damaged LDL is the issue.

LDL gets a bad reputation

Sugar is the enemy of good health, diabetes and all its associated conditions are a western societies health atom bomb.

This is absolute bollocks.

Thanks, I'll leave you to your opinion
:okay:

Have I ever ignored medical advice? Sort of.

I am type 2 diabetic but tablet controlled, and fortunately do not experience any problems with it, as long as I don't do any ridiculous amounts of physical exertion. Which is unlikely....

About a year ago, my doctor's practice changed my medication regime. But were concerned that the new tablets may upset my "ketones" (whatever the hell they are). So they gave me a machine to test for the presence of ketones. Or the level of them. Or something.

But, as I havent got anywhere remotely near feeling like I am having a hypo, or a hyper episode, with or without ketones, the machine and it's test strips sit up in my wardrobe unused, along with the sharps box that came with it all.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Long ago, I resisted a neurosurgeon who wanted to operate on my spine after a really badly prolapsed disc. Fortunately the wonderful physiotherapists at Charing Cross Hospital subsequently sorted me out.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Have I ever ignored medical advice? Sort of.

I am type 2 diabetic but tablet controlled, and fortunately do not experience any problems with it, as long as I don't do any ridiculous amounts of physical exertion. Which is unlikely....

About a year ago, my doctor's practice changed my medication regime. But were concerned that the new tablets may upset my "ketones" (whatever the hell they are). So they gave me a machine to test for the presence of ketones. Or the level of them. Or something.

But, as I havent got anywhere remotely near feeling like I am having a hypo, or a hyper episode, with or without ketones, the machine and it's test strips sit up in my wardrobe unused, along with the sharps box that came with it all.

Ketones are the bodies own fuel source from body fat. They are formed when there is insufficient glucose in the body. Being in ketosis is perfectly normal, the body can cope well in this state.

Not to be confused with

Diabetic Ketoacidosis.​

A serious condition for diabetics.

Probably worth knowing your ketone levels, so they don't get excessively high. I own a ketone monitor, my ketones are low level-normal range

Top Bottom