Have you ever ignored medical advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
About a year ago, my doctor's practice changed my medication regime. But were concerned that the new tablets may upset my "ketones" (whatever the hell they are). So they gave me a machine to test for the presence of ketones. Or the level of them. Or something.
It tests for the presence. They would have been concerned that your blood sugar might rise past your bodies ability to deal with it. When you get to that point ketones get produced. This can be fatal.

But, as I havent got anywhere remotely near feeling like I am having a hypo, or a hyper episode, with or without ketones, the machine and it's test strips sit up in my wardrobe unused, along with the sharps box that came with it all.
That's usual for both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetics. The Ketone monitor is only for high blood glucose and is very rarely needed. My daughter is type 1 and uses it maybe once or twice a year.

simongt

Guru
Not had a 'flu jab since 1976; I'm now 70, despite all the advertising and advice, verbal and written, to the contrary.
Not had 'flu in about fifty years.
Go figure. :whistle:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not had a 'flu jab since 1976; I'm now 70, despite all the advertising and advice, verbal and written, to the contrary.
It's like Russian Roulette...Play it for a while and get away with it, but play long enough and things can get very nasty.

I am 67 and have only had flu once. I was in my 30s at the time and I felt like I was dying... I damn well wouldn't like to have that again!

Which reminds me... time to book my flu jab! I was offered one when I had my Covid jab recently but didn't fancy having 2 lots of vaccines making me feel rough at the same time.

albion

Guru
It's like Russian Roulette...Play it for a while and get away with it, but play long enough and things can get very nasty.

I am 67 and have only had flu once. I was in my 30s at the time and I felt like I was dying... I damn well wouldn't like to have that again!

Which reminds me... time to book my flu jab! I was offered one when I had my Covid jab recently but didn't fancy having 2 lots of vaccines making me feel rough at the same time.

By the time you are 70 the gun barrel contains 3 bullets. Even a simple flu is very dangerous.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Most people don't get flu, most have never had it.

But some people who get flu die. That is what the jab is protective against

Agreed. It’s also rumoured that, at some point, I will also die. Although the evidence to date seems to dispute this :-)

Reactions: gbb

gbb

Legendary Member

I've had flu maybe 4 times in my life, it's overly used as a home diagnosis when some people feel ill (in all probability)
In my mind, unless you have some underlying problem or are frail, I see no need for the flu jab.
I had it (the vaccine) a couple times post tuberculosis / pneumonia as a sensible precaution at that time but feel no need since.
What doesn't help was the fact I felt exceedingly bad after having the vaccine once, typical flu symptoms the next day.

classic33

Leg End Member
It tests for the presence. They would have been concerned that your blood sugar might rise past your bodies ability to deal with it. When you get to that point ketones get produced. This can be fatal.
Ketones are present in your blood anyway. Its the level they may be at that's the danger.

icowden

Veteran
Ketones are present in your blood anyway. Its the level they may be at that's the danger.
Fair enough. However, my daughters ketone level is usually <0.1mmol/L. You are correct though that anything under about 1.5 is treated through insulin and lots of liquids - over that and it's hospital phone call time. Happily she still seems to be in honeymoon period for this, and the advent of patch pumps and integrated blood glucose monitors means that the risk of her going high is very low - we spot it pretty quickly and treat.

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
Due to some rather nasty internal issues which involved blood coming out in some odd places my doctor told me I had to give up motorcycles as my damaged intestinal tract didn’t seem to be up to it any longer.

I did try, really I did.

I lasted about two weeks. About 23 years and many many tens of thousands of kilometres later I seem to be doing fine.

I think walking away from a high stress engineering / management job in the automotive industry was really the fix. Now I’m enjoying my garage load of two wheelers, with and without engines, and loving my job as a part time bicycle mechanic.

What do doctors know anyway!

IMG_0082.jpeg

IMG_0146.jpeg

IMG_0083.jpeg

IMG_0148.jpeg

Top Bottom