Have you skidded on 'tramline tile' surfaces ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Have you skidded on tramline tiles? I mean these things, which are sometimes put across cycle tracks where a footway starts alongside (picture by hesterkw, Copyright: CC Attribution-Share Alike):
cyclestreets56201-size640.jpg

In a discussion on other things, a few of us have said that they're unnecessary hazards. At least one person seems to think they're essential for visually-impaired people, but I think that cycle tracks should be treated like carriageways and it would suffice for footway crossings to be marked by bobble tiles in the footway only.

So, have you skidded on them? Have you even crashed? I'd like to collect examples that explain to people why tramlines aren't good places for cycling. Sorry if this brings back any painful memories for anyone.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

And am I the only person who finds the most comfortable approach is to cycle over the transverse lines (the supposed footway side) as fast as you can?

Have you skidded on tramline tiles?

I thought you were going to ask about actual tramlines, which are indeed a hazard.

In a discussion on other things, a few of us have said that they're unnecessary hazards. At least one person seems to think they're essential for visually-impaired people, but I think that cycle tracks should be treated like carriageways and it would suffice for footway crossings to be marked by bobble tiles in the footway only.

So, have you skidded on them? Have you even crashed? I'd like to collect examples that explain to people why tramlines aren't good places for cycling. Sorry if this brings back any painful memories for anyone.

You have to remember that (and this is important) there is no pedestrian side to a shared use footpath, there is only a side that bikes are not allowed to go on. This is just like on the road where if there is a bike lane denoted by a SOLID line, other vehicles are not supposed to enter it, but you as a cyclist are allowed to leave it.

As pedestrians are allowed across the whole width of the path, the tactile paving needs to be across the path for the visually impaired.

As for my encounters with them .... never had any problems.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

You have to remember that (and this is important) there is no pedestrian side to a shared use footpath, there is only a side that bikes are not allowed to go on.
I'm pretty sure that there is no such thing as a "shared use footpath" in law. There are cycle tracks (which people are usually allowed to walk or cycle on - and sometimes to ride horses on) and footways and footpaths (which people are not allowed to cycle on). But that's off-topic here.

As pedestrians are allowed across the whole width of the path, the tactile paving needs to be across the path for the visually impaired.
It doesn't need to - and tactile paving doesn't go across the whole width of a carriageway when a footway is demarcated only by a white line rather than a kerb, as often happens in rural areas.

@mjr ... this isn't worth getting into an argument over. I am sure that someone will come along and be able to give us the rules regulations and usage for all kinds of places we can cycle, but to be honest I am unable to recall any times I have had a problem with tactile paving so as far as I am concerned this is a non-issue and not worth debating further.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
And am I the only person who finds the most comfortable approach is to cycle over the transverse lines (the supposed footway side) as fast as you can?
I do the same, not fast though.
My back wheel has slipped a couple of times on the tramlines, I don't like them in the wet.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Have you skidded on tramline tiles? I mean these things, which are sometimes put across cycle tracks where a footway starts alongside (picture by hesterkw, Copyright: CC Attribution-Share Alike):
cyclestreets56201-size640.jpg

Save your breath. They're a long way from ideal, even when properly maintained (the example in your photo is more dangerous because it's badly worn than because it's badly designed), but they're thoroughly entrenched, and have been for 20 or 30 years. "Dear blind people - we want you to change what you rely on to know where you are because we skid occasionally. Lots of love, cyclists." is not a pitch that will go down desperately well.

screenman

Legendary Member
I just bunny hop the whole lot, blimey it is only about 12 foot after all.

Hit it at about 30mph and lift the front wheel whilst throwing the bike forwards, this will bring the back wheel up, clipless help. As you land stay 15.7 centimetres above the saddle as this will reduce damage to the wedding tackle, slow back once you are back on terra firms knock it back to your normal steady pace, I suggest 26 mph will not be too hard.

Re-hydrate as required, just like I am doing right now.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

"Dear blind people - we want you to change what you rely on to know where you are because we skid occasionally. Lots of love, cyclists." is not a pitch that will go down desperately well.
I'd rather pitch it as "Dear blind people - we want you to enjoy the consistency of bobble tiles always meaning you're leaving or joining a footway and parallel line tiles always meaning the edge of a step or platform, and it'll also reduce the risk of cyclists crashing into you from either skidding or avoiding tramline tiles."

robjh

Legendary Member
To answer the OP, I've had a nasty wobble on one where it momentarily 'guided' my back wheel but no proper skid. It was on 700x23 tyres, along this shared path in Swindon (the crossing may not have been at the exact one in the picture, there are several along this stretch). It made me rather wary of them, but I can only think of the one actual incident.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom