Haynes style book

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan Ferris

Über Member
Hi
I've been looking through the forum and also amazon but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.

I'd like to learn more about bike mechanics so I can start to do my own work and possibly practice on old cheap frames. one day I'd like to build my own project.

To help me with this I was wondering if there was a manual that I can buy that people may have used before?

midlife

Guru
I'm always pleasantly surprised by the quality of YouTube :smile:

What era of bike are you thinking of tinkering with?

Shaun

robgul

Legendary Member
There is an actual Haynes book for bikes or the Park Tool Big Blue Book is good.... although pretty much all the info is available on their website: link

The Haynes book is a bit basic and errs towards MTBs and hybrids - I'd go for the Park Tools Blue Book - usually discounted on ebay if you search "Park Tools"

Rob

There is an actual Haynes book for bikes or the Park Tool Big Blue Book is good.... although pretty much all the info is available on their website: link
Yes,I would unreservedly recommend this. It's a great book - the only one you need in my opinion. Very unflashy in presentation or language, just straightforward step by step instructions. Yes there's lots of stuff on youtube and a lot of the Park Book is indeed online, but I never understand how folk can use such stuff when fiddling with a bike. What about the muck/grease, at the very least dirty hands - tend to think bike maintenance is like sex - if it aint dirty you aint doing it right. So fork out for the paper OP. You won't regret it - the book will be paid for after your first, at the very most second job.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Yes,I would unreservedly recommend this. It's a great book - the only one you need in my opinion. Very unflashy in presentation or language, just straightforward step by step instructions. Yes there's lots of stuff on youtube and a lot of the Park Book is indeed online, but I never understand how folk can use such stuff when fiddling with a bike. What about the muck/grease, at the very least dirty hands - tend to think bike maintenance is like sex - if it aint dirty you aint doing it right. So fork out for the paper OP. You won't regret it - the book will be paid for after your first, at the very most second job.
You print the pages you need and take them into the garage, saves getting the book dirty too. Haynes is good, basic. Zinn excellent and comprehensive.

well yes. I did print some part for someone once. But I'd still get the book. A hell of a fag, and none to cheap anyway, to print the whole book.

and at least you didn't suggest printing youtube.

The Haynes book is a bit basic and errs towards MTBs and hybrids - I'd go for the Park Tools Blue Book - usually discounted on ebay if you search "Park Tools"

Rob

+1

.. and sometimes a book in the workshop can be easier and more efficient than a laptop or tablet, and a quick reference to something else is easier if you have the page available

Yes the haynes book is quite basic. Not as clearly written as the park. My edition of the haynes has lots of nice colour pictures to make the subject seem approachable, and also doubtless to give it bookshop appeal, but the park crams way more into what actually isn't such a big book.

Top Bottom