Haynes style book

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
well yes. I did print some part for someone once. But I'd still get the book. A hell of a fag, and none to cheap anyway, to print the whole book
and at least you didn't suggest printing youtube.
- not the whole book, just the page/s you need for the job you are doing. I found the latest edition of the Park book out of date when I bought it, and needed to go online anyway to update (and print) the information I needed. I'd buy Zinn if I could only have one book.

Ajax Bay

Guru
@pawl said: "Dosent describe how to fit D12 to your Penny Farthing"
Richard's (New) Bicycle Book doesn't describe fitting gear changing apparatus (I think you mean Di2) to a standard as standards don't have gears (do they?).
What book would you recommend, by the way?

pawl

Legendary Member
Richard's (New) Bicycle Book doesn't describe fitting gear changing apparatus (I think you mean Di2) to a standard as standards don't have gears (do they?).

I tend to go onto u tube for info or Global Cycling Network

- not the whole book, just the page/s you need for the job you are doing. I found the latest edition of the Park book out of date when I bought it, and needed to go online anyway to update (and print) the information I needed. I'd buy Zinn if I could only have one book.
mm - I think I've used the whole book though. Isn't that the idea of getting into maintenance? - gradually tackling the lot apart from possibly wheel building/headset insertion? Yes, some editions won't have the latest stuff and there is the odd bit in my edition I think where it refers you online. That said, I don't need a fair bit of the stuff in the newer editions - have simplified my cycling the last few years - which isn't to say I don't have a lot of bikes.

simongt

Guru
saves getting the book dirty too.

But isn't that the whole point of a maintenance manual; a clean one says '..I'm only there for show...' :rofl: A PROPER manual will proudly display a wealth of grubby thumb marks and dogeared pages - ! I still have a copy of 'Cycling' by R.J.Way, published in 1953. It was my first proper cycling book and has a good number of grubby thumb marks within its covers - ! :thumbsup:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I see where you're coming from, but nowadays it's the laptop keyboard that's likely to be covered with greasy thumb marks...... :okay:

But isn't that the whole point of a maintenance manual; a clean one says '..I'm only there for show...' :rofl: A PROPER manual will proudly display a wealth of grubby thumb marks and dogeared pages - ! I still have a copy of 'Cycling' by R.J.Way, published in 1953. It was my first proper cycling book and has a good number of grubby thumb marks within its covers - ! :thumbsup:
:smile:

exactly. My park book has a fair few greasy stains on it - each one a memento of a job well done, eventually. I always doubt my own abilities/memory to even turn stuff the right way, so it's pretty much there holding my grubby hand every time I do anything serious on the bike.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I tend to go onto u tube for info or Global Cycling Network
I recommend you get someone to get you the 'Richard's New Bicycle Book' for Christmas. It's a fount of bicycling knowledge and wisdom; not just maintenance. U tube and GCN are useful in complementary ways.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I still have a copy of 'Cycling' by R.J.Way, published in 1953. It was my first proper cycling book and has a good number of grubby thumb marks within its covers - ! :thumbsup:

Do you mean this one?

$_12.JPG

Attachments

• $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 37

Tilley

Über Member
The only bike maintenance book I own is Zinn and the art of mountain bike maintenance, and it was bought to update me on such things as disc brakes and index gearing. Much of my knowledge has come from hands on experimentation. The Bristol Bike Project runs courses on a number of maintenance topics from basic maintenance to wheel building and you can even volunteer and earn a bike.

simongt

Guru
Do you mean this one?

$_12.JPG
Indeed - ! Yours looks as well loved and used as my copy - ! :thumbsup: It was this book that started my fancy for the Paris Galibier after seeing the selection of 'Unconventional frames' on p.6. And the book is full of what are now to be considered wonderfully timely observations like '...shorts are often as brief as decency will allow...' :rofl:

Attachments

• $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 33
Top Bottom