Headset Adjustment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
Hi All,
Does anyone know if you can adjust the headset on a Boardman Team Hybrid 2016 or is it fixed?
I presume I need spacers if you can?
Cheers

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Presumably you want to adjust it because the headset feels loose?

If so, slacken the two bolts securing the handlebar stem to the steerer tube, then tighten the top screw (Where the top cap is) until the play has gone then tighten the stem bolts back up again.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Sorry mate.... I should have been more specific.
Its a bike I am buying and I tend to like a more upright position than my current Boardman gives me and was wondering if I could raise the handlebars on the new one if needs be?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If it is a new bike you can discuss your preferred height with the retailer and they can get the bike built accordingly. If it is a used one it is down to how many spacers are above the stem, they can be repositioned underneath instead to boost the height. You can also buy stems that are sharply angled upwards.

robgul

Legendary Member
Best of luck with Cycle Republic (a.k.a. Halfords)

Sounds like you answer is probably to swap the stem for one with a steep rise angle .... or even go for a stem that is adjustable and can be set at a steep angle - Tredz (also, a.k.a. Halfords) supplied me with a quite a good one a couple of weeks ago - a System EX Adjustable Stem 110mm Black. It was for a customer that also wanted a more upright riding position on his bike.

Rob

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Cheers Rob.
I know they are part of Halfrauds and we all know it can be very hit and miss by branch with them. The Birmingham Branch of Cycle Republic gets very good write ups. :smile:
I actually had a good discussion with Richard there about the reputation they have and he was fully aware of it.

robgul

Legendary Member
Cheers Rob.
I know they are part of Halfrauds and we all know it can be very hit and miss by branch with them. The Birmingham Branch of Cycle Republic gets very good write ups. :smile:
I actually had a good discussion with Richard there about the reputation they have and he was fully aware of it.

Perhaps I'm over cynical but I've lost count of the number of bikes that have come into the shop as recent purchases from Halfords or Cycle Republic that were often downright dangerous with things like stems and bars being loose - or the regular classic with front forks on backwards.

However, a + for Tredz, I bought s bike for myself s few months ago (had to pay retail for it :sad: ) and it arrived in a massive box with both wheels on and just the bars turned - together with detailed instructions to fix the stem (and a pair of crap pedals with a 15mm cone spanner to use for the pedals)

Rob

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

I can understand your cynicism mate..... totally :laugh:
Just finished a sprint triatlon.... off for a few beers :popcorn:

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
Perhaps I'm over cynical but I've lost count of the number of bikes that have come into the shop as recent purchases from Halfords or Cycle Republic that were often downright dangerous with things like stems and bars being loose - or the regular classic with front forks on backwards.

However, a + for Tredz, I bought s bike for myself s few months ago (had to pay retail for it :sad: ) and it arrived in a massive box with both wheels on and just the bars turned - together with detailed instructions to fix the stem (and a pair of crap pedals with a 15mm cone spanner to use for the pedals)

Rob
I bet you would have complained even more if there had been NO pedals!!
You obviously need another drink as your glass is half empty.:whistle:;)

robgul

Legendary Member
I bet you would have complained even more if there had been NO pedals!!
You obviously need another drink as your glass is half empty.:whistle:;)

Nope - wasn't complaining as I didn't expect any pedals at all ... the type/value of bike (an Orbea) is very seldom sold with pedals as there are various rider preferences. The guff from Tredz on the website and on the in-box paperwork makes it clear that very basic pedals are supplied "free of charge"

Rob

Top Bottom