Headset bearings.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wisdom

Guru
My ridgeback supernova developed lumpy steering.
On inspection the top(caged)bearings were past the best and the cage was in pieces.
I have tried all the local bike shops and none have any that fit.So I put loose ball bearings in and packed them with grease.All is smooth for now.
The shops had caged sets but none matched as mine seemed to have a centre cage allowing the bearings to run on both sides all the replacement ones seem to be closed on one side.Any thoughts please.
It' an inteleset headset but the site just comes up with full headsets.

this is from an fsa headset , not sure which one though, is it any good to you IMG_1025.JPG IMG_1026.JPG

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Loose balls are the best! No, really :okay:

ryanme

Swing yourself a sealed bearing headset in there and forget all the looseball faff!

SJS have FSA headsets discounted for about £17/18 ...

Slick

Guru
I just cleaned my bike and noticed a lot of grease had leaked out the lower headset bearing, and then noticed the lumpy steering. It's been sitting for a while but did do some tough early winter miles but it's only around 9 months old. If I was thinking about stripping down the headset to regrease, would I be just as well replacing the bearings or is it far too new a bike for that?

iluvmybike

Über Member
I just cleaned my bike and noticed a lot of grease had leaked out the lower headset bearing, and then noticed the lumpy steering. It's been sitting for a while but did do some tough early winter miles but it's only around 9 months old. If I was thinking about stripping down the headset to regrease, would I be just as well replacing the bearings or is it far too new a bike for that?
I'd ceretainly be striping it and cleaning it - when you get the thing to pieces then you can judge if it needs new bearings and what kind they are. If it is notchy then that's not right and it needs attending to or it will wear the bearing seats

Top Bottom