Headset Movement on Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chr15b

Über Member
I've been out cleaning and greasing my seat post and pedal threads hoping they'll remove a creak before a 30 miler tomorrow evening and thought I'd look at another minor issue I have - the front headset has slight movement in it. If I hold the front brake and rock the bike it has a little play that my previous road bikes and mountain bike don't have.

Following advice found here, I loosened the stem bolts at each side and gave the top cap bolt a quarter turn clockwise (It was already pretty tight) but that didn't improve things. I then tightened it a good bit tighter and notice the play is still there. I since loosened things back off and tightened it back to square one.

I thought by tightening it too much, it would stop the play but also make the steering too stiff but this wasn't the case.

Is there anything else I could try?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
have you changed the stem from the original ? some brands dont have the same height where they fit over the fork and you need to put another spacer in so you have enough gap to pre tighten it
1598902477356.png

Sharky

Guru
What you did was correct.
Check the gap as described above.

Next - do you have a star nut or compression plug? Either could be slipping up when you tighten the top bolt instead of compressing the head bearings. If it's a compression plug, you might need to take it out, make it a tighter fit and try again. There are plenty of vids out there showing you how.

Good luck

Top Bottom