Headset movement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
5A3EB852-114B-4BBF-BBE6-CD8B8F7B88B6.jpeg
Hi, There is very slight movement where the black ring meets the frame , I have tried everything I can think of to stop it but without success, any pointers ?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
What have you tried?

Brandane

Legendary Member
Had this once on a bike I bought second hand. I think a previous owner had lost or removed a thin spacer, meaning that no matter how much you tightened the headset cap bolt, it was never going to have any effect as it was only tightening against a slightly (as in hardly noticeable) protruding fork steerer tube.
If you can identify that as the problem (assuming you've already tried @Soltydog 's advice), then the solution is obviously to insert an additional thin spacer, or if you're brave file a wee bit off the top of your fork steerer tube.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
I just took it all apart and re fitted it really , I may have been a bit hasty the first time ,

Levo-Lon

Guru
Take the top cap off and put on a thin spacer beneath it, you might be finding that the top cap is bearing down on the steerer tube, it won’t matter how much you tighten if this is the case. (It happened to me today BTW)

Yes ,I had the same on a new bike and the pro carbon build.
Couple of quid of eBay, headset shim.

You sorted it now then...:okay:

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
Yes ,I had the same on a new bike and the pro carbon build.
Couple of quid of eBay, headset shim.

You sorted it now then...:okay:

I am a bit apprehensive whilst working on this bike, I should get a torque wrench so I cannot over egg tightening components and perhaps damaging the carbon frame

tommaguzzi

Über Member
ozboz
bikes are not rocket science.
i my experence anybody with a modest amount of mechanical skill can almost always fix anything on a bicycle in an emergrncy to get home
i have never needed a torque wrench in 50 years of cyling

iluvmybike

Über Member
A lot of modern components require quite small torque values unlike old stuff where it didn't really matter - I do not believe anyone who says they know what torque it is by feel

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
I can do most anything on a bike, this bike was dismantled for the winter months and I finally got around to rebuilding it just lately , in my opinion as said I am wary of over tightening so as not to cause damage to the frame , ie, if you was to tighten the back brake hamfistedly and cracked the bridge , that’s it ,
for up to £50 a torque wrench with sockets would be a good addition to my tool kit ,

Top Bottom