Headwind v tailwind

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Another for headwind out but it is a bit of a rarity. I'm mostly downhill out, so it's even worse on the homeward run if you are into a wind as well.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Tailwind out, train home. Or train out, tailwind home.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Tail wind home....every time for me.
Although I enjoyed a 10 miler today and the cooling wind was quite pleasant

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Tail wind home.

As @si_c says, headwind both ways is a bad deal, and this last few weeks seems to have given plenty of this.

What gets my goat is a forecast wind of say 7/8mph, you ride and it's clearly more like double that.

Serge

Über Member
Tail wind home.

As @si_c says, headwind both ways is a bad deal, and this last few weeks seems to have given plenty of this.

What gets my goat is a forecast wind of say 7/8mph, you ride and it's clearly more like double that.
I'm glad it's not just me, I thought I was being a wuss. Some of the headwinds I've encountered over the last few weeks have felt more like 30mph rather than the forecast 15mph.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Often does this to me during the work day. Rarely in my favour.

Same here.

It's usually a direct headwind for the whole 20 miles in to work, and then during the day, it almost always shifts round to become a 20-mile cross-headwind on the way home......and quite often a full-on headwind on the return.

I get a tailwind on both the way in and way home on approximately one to two days a year.....if I'm lucky. And that's doing the commute by bike five days a week year-round!

In fact, the b*stard shifting headwind was one of the main contributory factors to getting an e-bike for my gruelling commuting workload. Combined with my hillyish road route being only marginally smoother than the Carrefour de l'Arbre and Trouée d'Arenberg, the relentless changing wind direction was becoming too much after several years doing this commute - it was severely curtailing my ability to ride on Saturdays...and even Sundays.

E-bikes are a great wind-busting commuting tool - especially if one has a tough commute but also wants to ride at weekends.....and has access to secure storage at work. But on Britain's rough and appallingly maintained rural lane network, their weight and stiffness mean fitting the widest possible tyres is almost essential - I've graduated from the 32mm tyres that came fitted, via 37-38mm tyres, to settling on 42mm tyres as the optimum for my Giant Road E+1.

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I'll always try to tackle a headwind on the way out and aim for a bit of assistance on the way back.
The weather gods regularly mock me with those plans though.

As a survivor of Hurricane Wilma, I am waiting for the next hurricane force wind to set a record time to York and get the train back though...;)

Last edited:
Hmm. Normally I would be with the majority here, headwind out and tailwind home. However, I cut short my ride today as the wind was just too strong and didnt fancy cycling into it for another 15 miles as I had planned. if, however, I had gone tailwind first then I wouldnt have had a choice but to cycle back home into the wind. So in short, planned a 50 miler, wind too much for little old me so turned off early making it only a 35 miler. If I had gone the reverse route I would have got to the 25 mile point and have no option but to cycle 25 miles back into the wind therebu giving me the 50 I wanted !

Btw, there is an excellent website/app www.windy.com its outstanding :bicycle:

Levo-Lon

Guru
it often seems that the wind rotates in the fenland area,you seem to have it in ya face all the time!!!
but when you do get lucky its pure bliss..

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
I have a regular solo loop of just over 30 miles. 18 miles one way to a fixed point, 12 t’other. Which I do first is always determined by the direction of the wind!

Top Bottom