Headwind v tailwind

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Tailwind out, headwind back.

gbb

Legendary Member
Headwind out.
I found an interesting thing when I was pushing hard over say 50 mile rides. Headwind out...Just because that's what I always do / did. I read somewhere you should take the first 10 miles steady. I always pushed relatively hard from the start. So I followed this but just did the first 5 miles steady. My times always were quite consistent....and I lost no perceivable time over 50 miles by starting steady. What you lose in the beginning, you gain at the end.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Usually headwind out, tailwind back. The exception is if I plan a ride with a load of hard climbing first half and easier second half. Then I'll do tailwind out
Nothing worse than climbing up to 1500ft into a strong headwind. Plus the descents with a tailwind are great fun

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Common sense says headwind out when you have the energy, tailwind home when you need all the help.

However if you are chasing Strava segments, there's no point having a tailwind with tired legs, so you want the wind behind you at the start of your journey so you can smash those PRs or KOMs.

Venod

Eh up
Headwind out tailwind home has always been my mantra for solo rides, but its not so good traffic wise, from my location, to the west into the usual prevailing westerly wind is more built up with more traffic compared to the quieter lanes to the east.

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Living right on the east coast, I have no choice sometimes :sad: but I do prefer to ride out into the wind & then return with it on my back :okay:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
If you're fortunate enough to have a largely free choice over which direction to go, studying wind charts before a ride can become a bit of an obsession. If I'm looking forward to a trip to Ludlow, it can be a bit upsetting when a last minute change in the forecast tells me to go to Devizes instead.

Over the course of a day it's unusual for the wind to remain in one direction at the same strength, so trying to optimise a route to take advantage of the wind can rapidly become quite complex. Sometimes we can have too much information.

In settled weather, it's normal for the wind strength to increase during the day, so riding into the wind first is going to be best. Unless you're Steve Abraham and don't expect to come back until 2am, in which case the opposite is probably true.

If the wind direction is expected to change by about 45º during the day, a common scenario, I'd probably ride out with a cross wind and loop round so that I get assistance on the way back, either clockwise or anticlockwise depending on which way the wind is likely to shift.

On days when the wind is quite significant I might look to do a ride that changes direction a lot, never straying too far from home.

Up to a certain strength (10-12 mph maybe) I find the wind is often less of a hindrance that we give it credit for. I'm sometimes gratified at how easily I'm able to ride into it on the way out, then disappointed at how little help it seems to give me on the way back.

Top Bottom