Health Dilema does it mean a new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Fundamentally, your problem with weight is that you eat and drink too much in relation to the amount of activity you do to burn it all off. If you have to calm down the level of intensity of your cycling in order to avoid chest pains, then you are also going to have to cut down on your calorie intake unless you want to gain weight - which clearly you don't.
I don't really see how getting an e-bike is going to help matters. Yes, it will make a given speed of cycling less strenuous, but the assistance will also reduce the amount of energy you will expend cycling a given distance. Unless you greatly increase your cycling mileage to compensate for the lower workrate and/or dramatically change your food and drink intake you are not going to keep your weight down.
I'm only about a stone heavier than I'd like to be, and @ 3,500 calories a pound, just that much of excess fat means a stored surplus of roughly 50,000 calories needing to be burned off. To lose that purely by riding even my relatively heavy unassisted bikes, I would have to do a huge mileage and number of hours in the saddle, which is not realistic as I can't clock up miles by riding a bike to work because I have to carry tools & equipment around. In order to achieve some weight loss, I am having to make a conscious effort to drink slightly less beer and eat slightly less of all the tasty high-calorie foods, which is not easy to do because I enjoy food and beer and the social aspect that goes with it.
You made a remark in your post "I think I will always be fairly big" - as though you don't have any control over what weight you can achieve. Being inherently "big" only applies in so far as some people have heavier than average skeletons and/or they may be more muscular than average as a result of doing years of heavy manual work or weight training. Someone in those categories might well have a technically "overweight" BMI of maybe 26 or so and not be carrying any visible flab, but they are not going to be able to use that excuse to explain having a BMI of 27 or 28!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Being a healthy weight is obviously desirable, and the advice above sensible and helpful, but the priority must be following up the angina diagnosis, and further treatment.

OP
OP
D

double0jedi

Fundamentally, your problem with weight is that you eat and drink too much in relation to the amount of activity you do to burn it all off. If you have to calm down the level of intensity of your cycling in order to avoid chest pains, then you are also going to have to cut down on your calorie intake unless you want to gain weight - which clearly you don't.

I'd be trying to lose the weight not accepting being really big and having to get an E bike.
Go to Slimming World or Weightwatchers or see the weight nurse at the Doctors they will help you. I also would be riding my bike where I wanted but getting off or slowing right down on the big hills,like someone above said.
If you drink alcohol, I'd also cut that right out and be aiming for 7 portions of fruit and veg per day and drinking plenty of water. You will lose the weight eventually. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

That's the point I was trying to make, but I think it got lost in my rambling post. I have lost a lot of weight, and I worked very hard to do so. I altered my diet and as well a cycling I swim regularly as well.

Due to the my health issues, I can't put in the same effort that I did before so given how difficult it was before to loose the 4 odd stone that I did I am not sure how much more I can loose with a reduced input, hence feeling that I'm always going to be on the larger size. For information I am 5'8" and 102kg so bigger perhaps but not REALLY big. Losing weight is difficult, more so for some than others, for some, exercise and it simple drops off for others its a combination of diet and exercise and fighting with your metabolism. I'm certainly in the latter :sad:

I am quite happy with the information the doctors have given me ( and all the tests) and don't doubt the information as it all seems to make sense. Obviously it is an ongoing situation and could change further down the line, but the people I have seen ,have been ( in my experience) excellent.

I was thinking an ebike would help with the hills where I live as my village is surrounded by them, can't get out or in without hitting them! Devon is quite up and down.
My reckoning was that going out on either of my standard bikes does not seem ( at this time) to be an option, I start off fine but suffer later in the ride and for some time after and with pedal assist on the hills surely something is better than nothing?

JhnBssll

Veteran
I would suggest getting a test ride on an ebike as soon as you can. Retailers are trying to shift them and I've seen several events advertised locally - I would try and find out if you have any local shops stocking them to see if they have a demo fleet and give one a go! From reading your posts I suspect you'll be able to find one that fits your needs pefectly :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
An ebike sounds sensible as well as getting some more help from a slimming club or GP nurse to lose more KGs, as although you've lost a fair chunk, unless you are an extremely muscly individual, you're still in the obese category on BMI (I'm also one for whom the weight doesn't fall off if I cycle a bit and cut out a pint or two which seems to work for some)

Also, get your GP to refer you to a cardiologist for a full check over as angina is a symptom of something not a diagnosis in itself

Good luck

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
What is the lowest gearing on your current bike? You might find that a move to smaller chainrings and a wide range cassette would allow you to winch yourself up hills with low enough effort not to be a risk so long as your bicycle handles well at low speeds.

New chainrings and/or cassette would be much cheaper than buying an ebike, even if you also had to change the derailleurs.

For reference, a compact double with a standard wide range cassette (11-32) goes down to about 30 gear inches.
Using mountain bike chainrings and a very wide range cassette (11-42) you can get down below 15 gear inches! This is probably a bit extreme but the point is that with the right parts you can basically go as slow as you like while pedalling at a comfortable cadence. The limit is how slow you can go without wobbling all over the place which depends on your bicycle's handling (and your ability to balance).

Reactions: gbb
I'm just this week in a slightly similar situation. Out of the blue, I've gone from a resting heart rate of 45-50 to an atrial fibrillation of around 90. I'm around the same height as OP, but 89kg and 65. I still need to lose 10-12kg. After this, I need it more, and so does the OP. If you're going for an easier time of it on the bike, the only alternative is a tougher option at the table. There isn't a third way that I'm aware of. I'd continue with the conventional bike but not overdo the hills. Or do as I've done and regear the bike AND take it easy on the hills.

Stop buying ready made food, it’s full of sugar and fat, it’s addictive, make everything from scratch, fresh if possible, give up beer, if you like a drink, have spirits with low cal mixers,

Use your newly bought Ebike, to gently exercise, as you lose weight your health will improve,

Apart from the ebike, I started this last September, just over 16 stone and 5’6”, now I am 12 and a half stone,

It’s amazing the amount of health issues that have vanished with that 3 and a half stone,

The downside is my year younger brother died in Febuary, suddenly of a heart attack, he was a big lad and lived an unhealthy life, he was 55

An ebike is a great way to get exercise without overstressing yourself.

OP
OP
D

double0jedi

I dont buy ready made food and i dont drink either.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I'm of the opinion that anyone saying an ebike is for cheaters is an idiot and deserves their bottom bracket being shoved up their rectum...without lube.
The Orbea looks gorgeous and something I'd be looking into in the future. Sell your kidneys if need be. I wonder if they do a touring bike version? :wub:
Go for it!
Better than being stuck on the couch with a kebab watching corrie like the rest of the country.

I'm of the opinion that anyone saying an ebike is for cheaters is an idiot and deserves their bottom bracket being shoved up their rectum...without lube.
The Orbea looks gorgeous and something I'd be looking into in the future. Sell your kidneys if need be. I wonder if they do a touring bike version? :wub:
Go for it!
Better than being stuck on the couch with a kebab watching corrie like the rest of the country.

I agree, if I commuted 20 miles to work, then one would be cheaper to run than a motorcycle, and would be perfect as I get older in order to keep cycling, rather than giving up.

I once read somewhere that 99.5% of people have only themselves to blame for being overweight.

I too have experienced some chronic chest pains recently and have had exhausting tests to discover the reasons why a normally exceptionally fit 69 year old was doing so, for me it turns out that after suffering mildly from eczema throughout my life but after a bout of bronchial pneumonia this has now turned into asthma!

Have you had an ultrasound of your heart, have you had CT scans of your chest etc., make sure you stand on top of your GP and surgery until all tests have been exhausted. It is very easy for some GP's and their practices to be almost dismissive, so stand your ground and insist that they discover exactly what is wrong with you.

OP
OP
D

double0jedi

I have not said at any point it is anyone elses fault that I am overweight . It is all down to me, same as it is down to me to loose it.

Im not sure i feel the need to "stand" on my gp or surgery .
I dont feel that they are misrepresenting me in at all. I dont think i have been palmed off or overlooked in any way.
If i did i would have started that in the original post.

Last edited:
I know next to nothing about e-bikes, but you know yourself and the kind of riding that you have available. If an ebike keeps you pedalling, more (assisted) power to you, and I hope you enjoy both the miles and the health benefits they bring you :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom