Health Dilema does it mean a new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
There aren't many Gains around as yet. I tried a friend's KTM Cross last weekend (roughly twice the power of a Gain, and a lot more money, much heavier, and not a road bike) - that would get you up a 30% hill no problem! - but the Gain is advertised as 'just enough'. It may not give you as much help as you think. I'd be somewhat concerned to be told not to cycle alone - your GP might be being cautious, of course. Have you got an appointment to see a cardiologist yet? Have you been prescribed a GTN spray?

bladesman73

Über Member
Have you been referred for further investigation of your problem? I wouldn't be satisfied with 'a few tablets to lower the heart rate', but would expect to be seeing a cardiologist. My angina was diagnosed when I was in my mid forties, and angioplasty followed to open up the arteries. Subsequently I've had further stents, 5 in total. My angina only really became apparent on quite high levels of exertion, and I've never let it stop me cycling. Now at over 70 I'm contemplating an Orbea Gain - not because of angina - but because my arterial disease is now affecting my legs.
In brief, for now I'd follow doctor's orders, but I'd push for further investigation, with a view to getting back to cycling at a reasonable level (after any treatment required), and thus maintaining future fitness. It may be too early to contemplate the e-bike just yet. Hope you get it sorted - soon!
Definately right..do not settle for some tablets! Get it investigated. I had a heart attack almost 2 years ago, seems i have an problem regulating the build up of cholesterol.had angiogram and a stent fitted as one of my main heart arteries was 100% blocked.they found other narrowings but left them and put me on statins. I was a fit as id ever been before it all caved in. Back cycling now, but dont bother using a hrm as my cardiologist said to just go with how i feel. If u have angina get it investigated asap

gbb

Legendary Member
What is the lowest gearing on your current bike? You might find that a move to smaller chainrings and a wide range cassette would allow you to winch yourself up hills with low enough effort not to be a risk so long as your bicycle handles well at low speeds.

New chainrings and/or cassette would be much cheaper than buying an ebike, even if you also had to change the derailleurs.

For reference, a compact double with a standard wide range cassette (11-32) goes down to about 30 gear inches.
Using mountain bike chainrings and a very wide range cassette (11-42) you can get down below 15 gear inches! This is probably a bit extreme but the point is that with the right parts you can basically go as slow as you like while pedalling at a comfortable cadence. The limit is how slow you can go without wobbling all over the place which depends on your bicycle's handling (and your ability to balance).

Bang on and I'm surprised no-one else asked a fundamental question...is OPs current bike appropriately geared for the terrain ?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Aside from the exercise issue, there is also the time available for eating and drinking issue. About 5 years ago, I spent quite a bit of time working away from home, doing stupidly long hours of physically demanding work. I lost about a stone in weight as a result - partly because of the physical activity, but partly i suspect due to the fact that if I wasn't working then I was sleeping. I simply didn't have the time available in the day to eat other than first thing in the morning and then after I finished work, just before going to bed. The rest of the time I was on the go, and not taking in food throughout the day.

Top Bottom