heart rate for newbies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Yep I had the same. Then you find yourself on a ‘real’ hill and wonder why you made such a fuss for so long about the gradient you now regard as a ‘speed bump’. It just comes with time and experience.
Exactly. It’s all relative.

Then just when you think you’re doing well, somebody flies past you on a climb. Don’t believe the hype that these guys are always tiny lightweights either, as there are plenty of guys and gals of all sizes that can really put you to shame.

OP
OP
eagles633

eagles633

My Brother just bought a bike and we had our first proper ride together in about 20 years, last Saturday. He goes to the gym and does weights and has a hands on job, so isn’t hugely unfit, but it was comical at how quickly he slowed on gradient above 3% or so.

When I say Comical, it was because I totally knew it was coming as it was exactly what happened to me when I started about 4 years ago. There’s nobody I know of that hasn’t had to do the same when new to cycling. Doesn’t matter how fit or unfit you are, the muscles take time to adapt, so don’t beat yourself up! :smile:
I quite enjoy the hills really. think i'd get bored on the flat. Think iv'e got the worst bit over. The 1st 8 rides in the bag now.

Then just when you think you’re doing well, somebody flies past you on a climb. Don’t believe the hype that these guys are always tiny lightweights either, as there are plenty of guys and gals of all sizes that can really put you to shame.
My lass beat me on a hill the first week we started cycling. As long as i can start beating her i don't care who passes me ^_^

bpsmith

Veteran
The fiat can be interesting too, with the right challenge. I like to go as fast as I can for a flat 10 mile out and back blast near where I live. There’s a little challenge going on with a few mates.

Hills are more interesting generally though.

si_c

Guru
If you want to get faster, on hills or the flat, ride with people who are faster than you. Nothing beats hanging onto someone's wheel while your eyeballs pop out of your skull and your legs explode to improve your fitness.

ozboz

Guru
hello and welcome ,
I started riding when I was 60 ish , for fitness and a hobby fixing up some old bikes , 5-6 miles was a killer ! but I can go quite well now , at present I try to do 30 miles a day , but I do have a break in the middle, I have only used apps on my phone for speed , distance etc , I don't bother much with those much now , I am not overweight but was initially concerned about stress on my heart , as time went by , my resting HB improved from 80 bps ish , and is now around 60 on average , it also recovers from very high whilst peddling uphill etc back to normal - resting quite dramatically , so that is the big incentive to cycle , also helping some lower leg muscular problems , as said take it easy , enjoy the bike and the ride , exploring new routes can make it interesting ,
;)

Looking good. So it can be done :smile:
Never heard of stravafix before i'l have to check it out. Do you need strava premium for instance?
Iv'e not got the option of a turbo trainer as i'm in a 1st floor apt. don't think the neighbours would be to impressed. tbf though i don't mind the bad weather, makes me feel iv'e achieved more when i get home.
The only problem with the cold is all the salt on the roads. i'm struggling to clean the bike living on the 1st floor. I did wash my bike in the bath when i first got it. got a bit of a telling off for that though ^_^
How many miles a week before the weight started coming off for you was it?
tx for posting
Im in an apartment but on the ground floor I would've said similar before and just done work on the rollers but preferring to go out in all weather's. But I bought myself an Elite Muin direct drive turbo and its relatively quite quiet. No one has complained anyway

nickAKA

Über Member

Tell me about it... I was doing a difficult (for me) climb up Ogden; about 2/3 of the way up there's a 9% section that kills me every time so I stopped for a breather. See this enormous bloke, 6'4"+, bulging panniers, cruising up steadily. Gives me a cheery "morning" and saunters past. The ancient touring bike looks like it weighs 20kg. I set off and get within 20 yards of him and have to slow down, too embarrassed to even contemplate going past... A chastening experience!

OP
OP
eagles633

eagles633

Another 14 miles done. Took a full 2 days rest as was knackered yesterday.
Managed to max out my heart rate at 179 after my previous high of 175 last week.
I took on 10% hill and think 179 is def my max.
Thing of note, my stress score has been in the 160's after every ride. But my garmin app recovery time has gone down from 72,68 now 62 hours. So looks like things are going in the right direction :smile:

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Another 14 miles done. Took a full 2 days rest as was knackered yesterday.
Managed to max out my heart rate at 179 after my previous high of 175 last week.
I took on 10% hill and think 179 is def my max.
Thing of note, my stress score has been in the 160's after every ride. But my garmin app recovery time has gone down from 72,68 now 62 hours. So looks like things are going in the right direction :smile:
Yup, once you get into it and are regularly biking your body won't need so much rest time in between rides. It will become normal activity for it! I don't know about garmin stress scores, but I am always much less stressed after a ride ;) Glad you are enjoying it!

OP
OP
eagles633

eagles633

Works for me.
I am having fun. What i have learned from watching cycling on tv though is that it's a high tech sport nowadays. And incremental gains are the most important thing in the sport. Not much use cycling without a garmin and strava nowadays.

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
I am having fun. What i have learned from watching cycling on tv though is that it's a high tech sport nowadays. And incremental gains are the most important thing in the sport. Not much use cycling without a garmin and strava nowadays.
I don't watch cycling on tv myself, but to me it is a good form of exercise, transportation, and fun! The most important thing for me is to have a good time, stay active, and not fall off! My preferred sport is hockey but I don't even take that too seriously as in my humble opinion if you are not getting paid and it is not your job it is just a fun game, so if I viewed cycling as a sport it would be pretty much the same. If it is a way to get fit, well people have been losing weight without computer measurements ever since man first decided he was a little pudgy round the middle. 'Incremental gains' at a beginner's standpoint (or any cycling proficiency, really) is usually making it up a tough hill or going a new distance or making a best personal time, you don't need technology to tell you that you feel stronger or faster or fitter.

Any sport can be as high-tech or low-tech as you want it to be, all you need in this instance is a bike and legs and all you really need in hockey is a stick, a puck, and some skates (and not even those for field hockey). The rest is optional. If you enjoy using the extras feel free, but don't feel like you have to because the pros are doing it (often times they also do drugs and we don't recommend that either!) :smile:

nickAKA

Über Member
I don't watch cycling on tv myself, but to me it is a good form of exercise, transportation, and fun! The most important thing for me is to have a good time, stay active, and not fall off! My preferred sport is hockey but I don't even take that too seriously as in my humble opinion if you are not getting paid and it is not your job it is just a fun game, so if I viewed cycling as a sport it would be pretty much the same. If it is a way to get fit, well people have been losing weight without computer measurements ever since man first decided he was a little pudgy round the middle. 'Incremental gains' at a beginner's standpoint (or any cycling proficiency, really) is usually making it up a tough hill or going a new distance or making a best personal time, you don't need technology to tell you that you feel stronger or faster or fitter.

Any sport can be as high-tech or low-tech as you want it to be, all you need in this instance is a bike and legs and all you really need in hockey is a stick, a puck, and some skates (and not even those for field hockey). The rest is optional. If you enjoy using the extras feel free, but don't feel like you have to because the pros are doing it (often times they also do drugs and we don't recommend that either!) :smile:

All very true, but...

SHINY THINGS!
GRAPHS!
STATISTICS!
KUDOS ON STRAVA!

Most men (especially myself) are suckers for all that stuff. It adds to my enjoyment of cycling and let's face it, if that wasn't a basic truth most of the companies making the stuff would be out of business post haste.

Top Bottom