Heart training zones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I went for a gentle spin on the TT bike today with the aim of trying Z2 training . No chance of me doing that ! I'd fall off the bloody bike going that slow and my heart rate goes above that just thinking about riding !
Z3-4 seemed an easy pace and I tried my best not to push it as I have a 25 in the morning .
I have my resting and max heart rate so I'm pretty sure I've got the zones right . Anyone else train at Z2 ?

Citius

Different plans have different zones. What does zone 2 mean in this context?

BSRU

A Human Being
The only way I have managed to cycle for any time just in zone 2 is when using a turbo.
Outside in the real world I would spend half my time walking with the bike as I live in a mildly hilly area.
I ride in zone 2 as I'm not a competitive cyclist I just use zone 2 rides to improve my aerobic engine;).

BSRU

A Human Being
Hello..?? Anyone got any numbers for what zone 2 is..?
I know Garmin/RideWithGPS/TrainingPeaks use your maximum heart rate and resting heart rate to calculate your heart rate zones.
Basic rule is "Zone 2" is 60 to 70% of max heart rate.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Just looking at my garmin now and it puts my zones as 1 = 92 - 111 BPM
Zone 5 as 166 - 185 BPM .
Riding normally for training that puts me in zone 4-5 all the time :ohmy: and that's trying not to put in extra effort ( apart from hills )

screenman

Legendary Member
Slow down then, how did you come to your MHR? When my max was 192 my level 2 was then called 80% 153, my average speed for that over a 3 hour ride would be about 18mph. I spent most of the time between 145 and 155.

When I came back to cycling after a break I trained using the Mathetone method, which for me was 129bpm, within a few months I was averaging 17 to 18 at that low heart rate.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Slow down then, how did you come to your MHR? When my max was 192 my level 2 was then called 80% 153, my average speed for that over a 3 hour ride would be about 18mph. I spent most of the time between 145 and 155.

When I came back to cycling after a break I trained using the Mathetone method, which for me was 129bpm, within a few months I was averaging 17 to 18 at that low heart rate.
Max has been tested over a few rides but the first one was on a turbo . I've kept the lower number for now at 191 . 196 is max .
You say slow down but I held back today on a 25 mile ride as I wanted to just spin . Zone 3-4 where just taking it easy :unsure:
I did notice my times where not that bad compared to when I am going balls out though so that's making me think maybe I need to plan my TT's and not try to go so hard .

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Ive only had the heart rate monitor for a short while so only have one 10 recorded . That averaged 175 . Another know loop I do I averaged 184 .
Today I did a test on a 25TT and tried not to go into Z5 so managed to average 162 and still push as hard as I could all the way around . Got a time of 1:11:54 .

Top Bottom