Heavier cyclists are quicker up hill?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pclay

Veteran
About 5 years ago I was 17 stone, but now I am 14 stone, loosing gradually over the years by watching what I ate, and I started cycling. I am 6ft2, so I am not what I would call 'fat'. I cycle around 5000 miles per year.

The club I ride with have some riders who are heavier than me. Some must be about 3 stone heavier, i.e. about 17 stone, just like I used to be. And yet they beat me up every hill. How can this be?

I appreciate that the amount of effort is what counts, but it seems to be consistent. Some heavier riders consistently beat me up every hill.

I did hear that if you are used to carrying around weight, then your legs are developed for it, and therefore going up hill is easier. I just find it so frustrating.

Does anyone else experience the same? Or perhaps I just need to try harder.

screenman

Legendary Member
I think you may have rewritten the laws of garvity there, they are I imagine fitter of trying harder. Power to weight I would imagine comes into play as well.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
About 5 years ago I was 17 stone, but now I am 14 stone, loosing gradually over the years by watching what I ate, and I started cycling. I am 6ft2, so I am not what I would call 'fat'. I cycle around 5000 miles per year.
Well done on what you have lost so far, but unless you are very muscular then you are still a bit overweight!

I was 17 stone too a few years ago and am only an inch shorter than you. I am down to 13 st 4 lbs now but still have at least 4 inches of fat round my waist.

The club I ride with have some riders who are heavier than me. Some must be about 3 stone heavier, i.e. about 17 stone, just like I used to be. And yet they beat me up every hill. How can this be?

I appreciate that the amount of effort is what counts, but it seems to be consistent. Some heavier riders consistently beat me up every hill.

I did hear that if you are used to carrying around weight, then your legs are developed for it, and therefore going up hill is easier. I just find it so frustrating.

As screenman just pointed out - climbing speed is all about power-to-weight ratio. If somebody weighs 20% more than you but can put out 50% more power then they are going to climb way faster.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
It's not all about power to weight :okay: Whilst that might be the major factor, there's other things to consider too. Technique, gear selection & breathing all play a part in climbing.
I'm a similar build, 6'5" & currently 16 stone. I'm never going to be the worlds greatest climber but I try my best. 2015 I was a little lighter & managed a top 10 strava time on a climb nearby which I was well happy about ^_^

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
On my 2016 cycling trip to the French Alps and Pyrénées, there was a cyclist who weighed 100kg and consistently beat most of the cyclists in my tour group up the hills, even though I'm pretty sure he was the heaviest in our group. As others have mentioned above, technique and practice were probably the reason for this apparent defiance of gravity.

Sharky

Guru
Might be worth enquiring about the history of these heavier riders. Might surprise you of their past achievements. One of our "older" riders was a "pro" back in the 60's and still hasn't slowed down.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I k

I know how you feel, I regurlarly get past by heavier and lighter riders on hills.

Top Bottom