Heavier cyclists are quicker up hill?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think it’s down to fitness,

They are fitter than you, if you were as fit as them you would beat them uphill, because you would have less to carry up the hill,
You could be not quite as fit, but still beat them uphill,

Venod

Eh up
Fitness, power to weight ratio it all counts, I have done a lot running and put this down to my general fitness, I was 60 before I started using Strava and I got quite a few KOMs some of which I still have, I am usually between 12 to 12.5 stone, 5ft 10in so not particularly light, I have slowed down a bit a lately, old age and lethargy, I have considered starting running again to boost my fitness but the knees have had a lot of hammer over the years and not sure if they are up to it. I have just done a 50 mile ride with a lot of rough off road so the average speed was only 14mph, my heart rate was 119 average with a high of 150.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Maybe there is a pie on a stick dangled in front of them?

I'm not an especially quick climber, although I'm not turgid either, but I'm indefatigable. I can just hammer away relentlessly, which might seem fast to weedier riders who initially spurt off but then run out of puff.

screenman

Legendary Member
Maybe there is a pie on a stick dangled in front of them?

I'm not an especially quick climber, although I'm not turgid either, but I'm indefatigable. I can just hammer away relentlessly, which might seem fast to weedier riders who initially spurt off but then run out of puff.

What type of pie are we talking about?

huwsparky

Über Member
It's not all about power to weight :okay: Whilst that might be the major factor, there's other things to consider too. Technique, gear selection & breathing all play a part in climbing.
I'm a similar build, 6'5" & currently 16 stone. I'm never going to be the worlds greatest climber but I try my best. 2015 I was a little lighter & managed a top 10 strava time on a climb nearby which I was well happy about ^_^
How fast one can go up a hill is all about power to weight. End of. Take aerodynamics out of the equasion and there's nothing else left at play.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How fast one can go up a hill is all about power to weight. End of. Take aerodynamics out of the equasion and there's nothing else left at play.
I posted above it was 'all' about p-w ratio, but I think it should have been 'mostly'!

I do much better climbing steep hills spinning low gears than I do grinding high ones.

My climbing speed recently has been limited by backache rather than being breathless or my heart beating too fast.

I posted above it was 'all' about p-w ratio, but I think it should have been 'mostly'!

I do much better climbing steep hills spinning low gears than I do grinding high ones.

My climbing speed recently has been limited by backache rather than being breathless or my heart beating too fast.
Backache is what I had climbing a 25 degree hill today, I do go up it using my road bike and compact gears, but i am not spinning the gears to make it easy, to do that I need to get lighter or fitter, or a bigger rear sprocket.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
The heavier ones in my experience like to prove they are still fit so they push it hard uphill!
About 5 years ago I was 17 stone, but now I am 14 stone, loosing gradually over the years by watching what I ate, and I started cycling. I am 6ft2, so I am not what I would call 'fat'. I cycle around 5000 miles per year.

The club I ride with have some riders who are heavier than me. Some must be about 3 stone heavier, i.e. about 17 stone, just like I used to be. And yet they beat me up every hill. How can this be?

I appreciate that the amount of effort is what counts, but it seems to be consistent. Some heavier riders consistently beat me up every hill.

I did hear that if you are used to carrying around weight, then your legs are developed for it, and therefore going up hill is easier. I just find it so frustrating.

Does anyone else experience the same? Or perhaps I just need to try harder.

Top Bottom