Heavier cyclists are quicker up hill?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
pclay

pclay

Veteran
Well, well, well, looks like I generated some debate. The reality is, cyclists who are 2 stone heavier than me can go quicker up hill than me. From reading the above, I just need to try harder. I have been cycling for 4 and a half years and I have done 20,000 miles in that time, but I still need to push harder on those pedals....

Last edited:

Alan O

Über Member
Wel, wel, well, looks like I generated some debate. The reality is, cyclists who are 2 stone heavier than me. An go quicker up hill than me. From reading the above, I just need to try harder. I have been cycling for 4 and a half years and I have done 20,000 miles in that time, but I still need to pish harder on those pedals....
Some people are simply stronger climbers than others, and in many cases there's nothing you can do other than just accept it.

Venod

Eh up
I don't know what power to weight ratio Mark Cavendish has, it must be high, he is not very big, but his power doesn't translate into being a good climber.

huwsparky

Über Member
I don't know what power to weight ratio Mark Cavendish has, it must be high, he is not very big, but his power doesn't translate into being a good climber.
Different riders have different strengths. Cav's is sprinting, so In order to be as good as he can be at it, his training is optimised for sprinting not having a good w/kg over 30 mins.

Lonestar

Veteran
.Must be that their fitness is very good or they have a good "engine".I've had the turbo trainer almost one year now doing the spinning equivalent of 4000 miles at 15+mph av...I've lost over two stone and my hill climbing is better.Even in today's heat after leaving home at 0330am and getting back at 330pm I didn't struggle as I would normally do from being overtired.

Top Bottom