Heel clipping bike frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martinsnos

Hi all,
Are a few washers or a longer crank spindle the best solution for my heel clipping the frame of the bike - or both equally as good?
I want to cycle with my foot in that position as it is most comfortable for me, so changing the angle of the foot etc is not a solution.
Many thanks,
Martin

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I had that on my Defy2 whilst wearing Specsh SPD-SL's. I put a frame protector on to save paint rubbage. With different shoes, it didn't happen, though, even with the cleats adjusted to the same angle.

Gunk

Guru
Some pedals do have a slightly longer shank so they give you a bit more clearance. I wouldn’t recommend washers as the pedal won’t sit in the thread of the crank arm far enough. I would suggest you change the pedals

screenman

Legendary Member
I would buy the proper part, pedal extender I think, even then i would not want to be out of the saddle using them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

You can get wider pedals - e.g. mountain bike pedals. I wouldn't advise washers or extenders either. It does suggest your feet are in the wrong position though.
Many thanks all.
I honestly think that any position and they would still hit, there just physically doesn’t appear enough clearance. In this photo I would say my foot is straight (is that the right position). I appreciate the cleat may be a bit far back but even furthest forward it still catches.
Is it the MTB shoes just aren’t compatible to a road bike shape?
Many thanks.

Attachments

• B9F0C04D-7EE9-4CFC-9F3D-E2F8CC6B7C41.png
    B9F0C04D-7EE9-4CFC-9F3D-E2F8CC6B7C41.png
    160.2 KB · Views: 8

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Heal catching has got more common with the wider frames due to discs and wider axels - I've got heli tape on my full suspension's seat stays as very occasionally my MTB SPD shoes will catch. Those shoes are quite chunky - how about some MTB pedals ? DMR V8's.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You could try putting a wider bottom bracket on?

si_c

Guru
One option could be to try shorter cranks as this might move your foot forward enough to avoid catching - it depends on how much clipping is happening. Is it on every pedal stroke? If not then changing your cleats to some with less or no float might also fix the issue - depending on how you feel riding with that reduced float.

vickster

Legendary Member
One option could be to try shorter cranks as this might move your foot forward enough to avoid catching - it depends on how much clipping is happening. Is it on every pedal stroke? If not then changing your cleats to some with less or no float might also fix the issue - depending on how you feel riding with that reduced float.
Aren’t SPD cleats all the same in terms of float?

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

I do like the idea of being able to move my foot about a bit.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

Heal catching has got more common with the wider frames due to discs and wider axels - I've got heli tape on my full suspension's seat stays as very occasionally my MTB SPD shoes will catch. Those shoes are quite chunky - how about some MTB pedals ? DMR V8's.
That would take my feet wider?

Top Bottom