Hello and good day to you! I've just registered 🙋‍♀️

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biker man

I'm glad to have fpund cyclechat, for I've got a request, in need of assistance with a technical problem with my Pendleton Somerby e-bike.
I've bought this bike at Halfords Newton Abbot, as a testbike, for half of the price. Nov. 2019. The condition is very good, until this day. Looking as if not used.
The issue is with the battery keys, lost in the transport to the Netherlands. The battery can't be released from the bike. I'm riding the bike in my home and charge it, that's a practical solution for now.

After initial efforts of the manager in Halfords Newton Abbot, trying to find a new set of keys for the battery, which aren't present anymore, due to the production of this bike coming to an end, and a second attempt to order a battery plus rack for me (the battery is attached to the rack and can't be delivered without it, I'm told) no results showed up and even communication has come to a stop. No response whatsoever. There's a Halfords in the Netherlands as well, but it's a separate organisation, only the name matches. After contacting Halfords in the Netherlands, I received a response, saying that I needed to solve the issue in Britain, contacting Halfords where I bought my bike. That has come to an end, unfortunately.

I'm planning to take my e-bike to Britain again, travelling for a while. In that condition, I shall need to take off the battery, wherever I park my e-bike. I'm informed about the value of e-bike batteries, attracting thieves who simply break it loose with a tool. Of course, in cities I'm more at risk, but nevertheless, I'm trying to solve the key-problem with your help, if possible. Although it's not the main problem, as you will understand, for I can charge the battery without too much trouble, riding my bike in my home. For the moment.

The second request:
Is there an owner of a Pendleton Somerby e-bike experiencing problems with the turning of the pedals losing the grip on the chain, with the effect of pedalling without feeling resistance, while the motor is still working? (when it's on of course). This issue started only at rare occasion, when I stopped at a traffic light. When stepping on the pedals again, the pedals were turning without resistance of the chain. Only when I turned the pedals in reverse, it worked fine again.
This problem began to happen more often, until I decided to not use it, due to the risk of losing balance on my bike, and find myself stranded without being able to ride back home, unless by using the power of the motor still working when I turn the pedals around, which is a tricky way of riding the bike. When I was stranded one day, I parked the bike near a square and asked passers by if they could help me. A group of young men arrived and they were willing to look at the bike. Although the pedals were turning without effect, one of the man pressed the button to start the motor, and the bike shot forward with this man holding the steering wheel. He almost fell, and I've eperienced this as well. It's simply not safe to ride my bike now.

I've made good long trips with this e-bike, since end of May 2020, and so far I'm very pleased with this bike. I've looked into the technical details of e-bikes and I believe that the disfunctional part causing disconnection between pedals and chain, is called "rotation sensor". I'm not entirely sure if that's the part I need for a repair. The motor of my e-bike is a Bosch Motor Raleigh Model. I'm including pictures of the battery and the type of Pendleton bike I own.
View attachment 597891

View attachment 597892

View attachment 597893

View attachment 597891

View attachment 597892

View attachment 597893

View attachment 597891 View attachment 597892 View attachment 597893
The key number is S343, of the keys unlocking the battery from my bike. When it happens to be the number of one of your keys, I'd be happy to receive 2 copies of them and pay for the costs plus sending to the Netherlands.

The e-bike workshop near my home with a 70 euro hour rate, for a check up and repair, without knowing in advance if they're be able to replace the part causing the problem. I'm in a bit of a pickle, see? If there's someone who recognizes my description of the issue that prevents me from riding my e-bike, I'll be pleased to receive advice and comments. Thank you in advance!
H
I'm glad to have fpund cyclechat, for I've got a request, in need of assistance with a technical problem with my Pendleton Somerby e-bike.
I've bought this bike at Halfords Newton Abbot, as a testbike, for half of the price. Nov. 2019. The condition is very good, until this day. Looking as if not used.
The issue is with the battery keys, lost in the transport to the Netherlands. The battery can't be released from the bike. I'm riding the bike in my home and charge it, that's a practical solution for now.

After initial efforts of the manager in Halfords Newton Abbot, trying to find a new set of keys for the battery, which aren't present anymore, due to the production of this bike coming to an end, and a second attempt to order a battery plus rack for me (the battery is attached to the rack and can't be delivered without it, I'm told) no results showed up and even communication has come to a stop. No response whatsoever. There's a Halfords in the Netherlands as well, but it's a separate organisation, only the name matches. After contacting Halfords in the Netherlands, I received a response, saying that I needed to solve the issue in Britain, contacting Halfords where I bought my bike. That has come to an end, unfortunately.

I'm planning to take my e-bike to Britain again, travelling for a while. In that condition, I shall need to take off the battery, wherever I park my e-bike. I'm informed about the value of e-bike batteries, attracting thieves who simply break it loose with a tool. Of course, in cities I'm more at risk, but nevertheless, I'm trying to solve the key-problem with your help, if possible. Although it's not the main problem, as you will understand, for I can charge the battery without too much trouble, riding my bike in my home. For the moment.

The second request:
Is there an owner of a Pendleton Somerby e-bike experiencing problems with the turning of the pedals losing the grip on the chain, with the effect of pedalling without feeling resistance, while the motor is still working? (when it's on of course). This issue started only at rare occasion, when I stopped at a traffic light. When stepping on the pedals again, the pedals were turning without resistance of the chain. Only when I turned the pedals in reverse, it worked fine again.
This problem began to happen more often, until I decided to not use it, due to the risk of losing balance on my bike, and find myself stranded without being able to ride back home, unless by using the power of the motor still working when I turn the pedals around, which is a tricky way of riding the bike. When I was stranded one day, I parked the bike near a square and asked passers by if they could help me. A group of young men arrived and they were willing to look at the bike. Although the pedals were turning without effect, one of the man pressed the button to start the motor, and the bike shot forward with this man holding the steering wheel. He almost fell, and I've eperienced this as well. It's simply not safe to ride my bike now.

I've made good long trips with this e-bike, since end of May 2020, and so far I'm very pleased with this bike. I've looked into the technical details of e-bikes and I believe that the disfunctional part causing disconnection between pedals and chain, is called "rotation sensor". I'm not entirely sure if that's the part I need for a repair. The motor of my e-bike is a Bosch Motor Raleigh Model. I'm including pictures of the battery and the type of Pendleton bike I own.
View attachment 597891

View attachment 597892

View attachment 597893

View attachment 597891

View attachment 597892

View attachment 597893

View attachment 597891 View attachment 597892 View attachment 597893
The key number is S343, of the keys unlocking the battery from my bike. When it happens to be the number of one of your keys, I'd be happy to receive 2 copies of them and pay for the costs plus sending to the Netherlands.

The e-bike workshop near my home with a 70 euro hour rate, for a check up and repair, without knowing in advance if they're be able to replace the part causing the problem. I'm in a bit of a pickle, see? If there's someone who recognizes my description of the issue that prevents me from riding my e-bike, I'll be pleased to receive advice and comments. Thank you in advance!

Biker man

Biker man

Hi my partner has the same bike and never uses the keys to remove the battery think she lost the keys but they are not needed she also had the bike jumping ahead horseing I called it was a problem with the motor but it's a great bike for the money .

Biker man

Since I'm in the right forum for e-bike Q&A, and after reading your response again, today, I was reminded by what the employer in the e-bike workshop (in Holland) told me about the battery and how it's fixed to the bike. He said "I could replace the battery, but it means that we've got to order an entire rack with the part of the battery that is fixed to it" My guarantee papers are legal within Halfords' realm, which means that I've got to pay for parts and repair hours. The workshop's hour rate is 70 euro. Imagine, this could be very costly.

The part of the battery that can be unlocked and taken home for charging, leaves a part of the battery on the bike. That's why it's such a pickle, for the woman at Halfords' bike department in Britain, has made efforts to order such a rack plus battery, for me. That was last Dec. 2020. Never heard from her again, and no response to my recent email either. Calling Halfords in Newton Abbot results in remarks that no one know the name of this woman. Change of staff? A policy similar to the one of Michael in Fawlty Towers?
"I know nothing!" ??

OP
OP
Devon Seamoor

Devon Seamoor

Regular
My partner has the same bike it will come out and bike in without a key try it .
Thank you, Biker man. If you mean that the battery is coming off and going on the bike without a key, how does that work? If it was like you say, I wouldn't present this issue here, is it? You need to give more details about how it's done. Was the battery without keys attached, when your partner bought the same Pendleton e-bike? And when keys were in it, is the key number S343? Your partner should find the key number in the papers that came with the bike. If that's the case, I'd appreciate it when copies of the key were sent to me. But I assume no 2 key-sets are similar.

The repair on the free hub body of my bike, which is done now, isn't paid for by Halfords in Britain, despite the fact that the 2 years guarantee haven't finished yet. The guarantee is legal only when repair is done in a Halford's bike-workshop :blink::ohmy: The Halfords in Newton Abbot, where I bought my e-bike, has had issues on the work-floor and with customer-service, the new manager told me. It's why the repair-story with my e-bike lasts so long. At some point, no communication was useful, either by responses like "I know nothing" (Manuel of Fawlty Towers) or by thundering silence on the other side of the North Sea.

At least, I've been successful in contacting the new manager, who has apologized for the delay. He's at this moment trying to find copies of my keys. Fingers crossed! :smile::bicycle::hello:

Biker man

Thank you, Biker man. If you mean that the battery is coming off and going on the bike without a key, how does that work? If it was like you say, I wouldn't present this issue here, is it? You need to give more details about how it's done. Was the battery without keys attached, when your partner bought the same Pendleton e-bike? And when keys were in it, is the key number S343? Your partner should find the key number in the papers that came with the bike. If that's the case, I'd appreciate it when copies of the key were sent to me. But I assume no 2 key-sets are similar.

The repair on the free hub body of my bike, which is done now, isn't paid for by Halfords in Britain, despite the fact that the 2 years guarantee haven't finished yet. The guarantee is legal only when repair is done in a Halford's bike-workshop :blink::ohmy: The Halfords in Newton Abbot, where I bought my e-bike, has had issues on the work-floor and with customer-service, the new manager told me. It's why the repair-story with my e-bike lasts so long. At some point, no communication was useful, either by responses like "I know nothing" (Manuel of Fawlty Towers) or by thundering silence on the other side of the North Sea.

At least, I've been successful in contacting the new manager, who has apologized for the delay. He's at this moment trying to find copies of my keys. Fingers crossed! :smile::bicycle::hello:
Hi she lost the keys and was charging it in the garage I was looking

Biker man

The set is not only for padlocks. The clear padlock is provided to allow you to see how the mechanism works as you try to pick it. Once you understand the principle, you will be able to pick other locks such as desk, cupboards, front doors and the one on your bike. I have used the set on many different locks.
My partners bike the battery slips out and back in without the key we lost it I noticed it moved one day cleaning the bike just that simple really try your.

OP
OP
Devon Seamoor

Devon Seamoor

Regular
Hi my partner has the same bike and never uses the keys to remove the battery think she lost the keys but they are not needed she also had the bike jumping ahead horseing I called it was a problem with the motor but it's a great bike for the money .
Hello Biker man, regarding the bike jumping ahead horseing, when it's the Pendleton e-bike with the motor in the backwheel, I've received an explanation by an e-bike shopmanager, who explained to me that when the motor is installed in the backwheel of an e-bike, that effect is known to happen (jumping ahead horseing).

And that when the motor is in the centre of the bike, in the frame, this won't occur. It's why, now, he said, most e-bikes are constructed with the motor in the centre of the e-bike. This makes sense, of course, but I've adjusted my handling of the bike in such a way, that no problem occurs. I'm always turning off the motor when I'm waiting behind other cyclists at a traffic light, so that I won't bump into those in front of me.
Also, whenever I stop, for whatever reason, I first turn the motor off. I'm pleased with my Pendleton, for the motor is powerful, and one battery charge lasts a long stretch. I'm now visiting areas around my city where I've never been before :smile: and for the first time since childhood, I'm planning a midweek cycle trip to the South of the Netherlands, just to see the hills again (after living almost 5 years in Devon UK).

Biker man

Hello Biker man, regarding the bike jumping ahead horseing, when it's the Pendleton e-bike with the motor in the backwheel, I've received an explanation by an e-bike shopmanager, who explained to me that when the motor is installed in the backwheel of an e-bike, that effect is known to happen (jumping ahead horseing).

And that when the motor is in the centre of the bike, in the frame, this won't occur. It's why, now, he said, most e-bikes are constructed with the motor in the centre of the e-bike. This makes sense, of course, but I've adjusted my handling of the bike in such a way, that no problem occurs. I'm always turning off the motor when I'm waiting behind other cyclists at a traffic light, so that I won't bump into those in front of me.
Also, whenever I stop, for whatever reason, I first turn the motor off. I'm pleased with my Pendleton, for the motor is powerful, and one battery charge lasts a long stretch. I'm now visiting areas around my city where I've never been before :smile: and for the first time since childhood, I'm planning a midweek cycle trip to the South of the Netherlands, just to see the hills again (after living almost 5 years in Devon UK).
I think he is wrong it's the Motor I had a ebike with a hub drive did 5000miles on it that never happened but my girlfriends Pendleton did it nearly hit someone Halfords changed the motor it stoped it my bike now has a midrive in my opinion they are better but I miss that zoom off when you start peddling thats what got me hooked on ebikes excuse my grammar.

OP
OP
Devon Seamoor

Devon Seamoor

Regular
Hi she lost the keys and was charging it in the garage I was looking
Your responses are very cryptic, Biker man, hard to make chocolate of, as we say in the Netherlands. Am I right that your partner brings the e-bike with the battery on it near a spot where she connects the charger to the battery while it's on the e-bike and the other plug into an electricity socket?
If that's the case, it's exactly what I'm doing all of the time. Now.

My battery-key-issue with request for advice, relates to my travelling plan with the e-bike, when I'll need to take off the battery, either to be able to charge it in the accommodation where I find myself staying for the night, or to prevent theft of the battery, broken off my e-bike, when it's parked outdoors, on both sides of the North Sea. E-bike batteries are very popular among thieves in our streets in the Netherlands, which is a country with cities full of bikes everywhere.

I've ordered a lock-picking-set, and now try to practice lock-picking, with a hope to tackle my battery-lock one day. So far, no success yet.
My neighbour told me that he's got an e-bike now, 2nd hand, where the key of the battery of lost as well. He uses a screw driver to take the battery off, he told me. And when he installs it, it clicks into its place, behind the saddle on the rack above the back-wheel.

When I've tried enough to solve the problem, I'll probably let an experienced e-bike-thief break open the battery lock, paying very close attention, in such a way that I can install the battery just like my neighbour does, and use a screwdriver or any other tool, to take if off. ^_^

OP
OP
Devon Seamoor

Devon Seamoor

Regular
I think he is wrong it's the Motor I had a ebike with a hub drive did 5000miles on it that never happened but my girlfriends Pendleton did it nearly hit someone Halfords changed the motor it stoped it my bike now has a midrive in my opinion they are better but I miss that zoom off when you start peddling thats what got me hooked on ebikes excuse my grammar.
Thank you, Biker man, but isn't what you're saying confirming the e-bike shopmanager's explanation? When you miss that "zoom off" effect, which I assume you mean that "jumping ahead horseing" effect, while riding a bike with "midrive" which I assume means that the motor is in the centre of the bike? Or do you mean to say that you've been on an e-bike with a hub drive, meaning that the motor was in the back-wheel, and you never experienced that "jumping ahead horseing"? To me, not familiar with technical terms, it's not immediately clear that "hub drive" means that the motor is located in the back wheel, see what I mean?

Biker man

Thank you, Biker man, but isn't what you're saying confirming the e-bike shopmanager's explanation? When you miss that "zoom off" effect, which I assume you mean that "jumping ahead horseing" effect, while riding a bike with "midrive" which I assume means that the motor is in the centre of the bike? Or do you mean to say that you've been on an e-bike with a hub drive, meaning that the motor was in the back-wheel, and you never experienced that "jumping ahead horseing"? To me, not familiar with technical terms, it's not immediately clear that "hub drive" means that the motor is located in the back wheel, see what I mean?
Hi yes the hub in the back the zooming off is what happens when you start peddling I love that you don't get that effect with mid drive the horseing was pushing the bike along footpaths it did it a few times in Huddersfield just jumped up .

OP
OP
Devon Seamoor

Devon Seamoor

Regular
My partners bike the battery slips out and back in without the key we lost it I noticed it moved one day cleaning the bike just that simple really try your.
Isn't that unusual, and an invitation to thieves lurking for e-bike batteries in the streets where your partner lives? I've made sure to try if the battery comes loose, numerous times. It's securely fixed, so I'll practice lock-picking again. I'm still waiting for a response from the Halfords manager in Newton Abbot UK, who promised to go on a hunt for the keys. That shop needs to compensate a bit, for the lack of service, last winter, see?

Biker man

Isn't that unusual, and an invitation to thieves lurking for e-bike batteries in the streets where your partner lives? I've made sure to try if the battery comes loose, numerous times. It's securely fixed, so I'll practice lock-picking again. I'm still waiting for a response from the Halfords manager in Newton Abbot UK, who promised to go on a hunt for the keys. That shop needs to compensate a bit, for the lack of service, last winter, see?
Yes she never leaves it long but you are right there is always someone who will steal anything that's not bolted down I hope Halfords help you let me know how you get on.

Top Bottom