Hello from Brizzle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JD42

Hills are nature's way of culling the weak
New to forum.... be gentle.

Been cycling regularly for 18 months. Have done the Wiggle Dragon this year and doing next year's as well. Completed a few other sportives and commute daily..so got a couple of miles under my belt.

Looking to see if social rides are organised on here in Bristol area..not interested in club riding..far too old

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Looking to see if social rides are organised on here in Bristol area..not interested in club riding..far too old
Don't understand that. There are many types of clubs, including ones that do social rides.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Hello from North Bristol ... there is a couple of us aiming to do a slowish ride around the roads north of the M4 sometime. We just need to fix a date @Spinney :whistle: and organise some warmer weather:laugh: (we cried off the last date when it was cold and wet:blush:).

OP
OP
JD42

JD42

I am game... fire some dates at me at I will be there!!. Going out this Saturday morning if that's any good. Could meet in sodbury

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Needs four or five of us to make a proper social ride, really. The one we'd planned but didn't do is here - might be best to just stick to that thread. I'm out of action cycling-wise at the moment due to a cycling-related sprained thumb (story here if you're interested!).

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I am game... fire some dates at me at I will be there!!. Going out this Saturday morning if that's any good. Could meet in sodbury
I think I'm pretty busy at the weekends till Christmas from now but maybe over the holidays or in the New Year?

And Spinney and myself are quite slow!!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Needs four or five of us to make a proper social ride, really. The one we'd planned but didn't do is here - might be best to just stick to that thread. I'm out of action cycling-wise at the moment due to a cycling-related sprained thumb (story here if you're interested!).
Oh dear I hadn't seen that!! How is your thumb now.... is it showing some improvement....? I injured my thumb badly in my 20's and it took years to heal!

OP
OP
JD42

JD42

I think I'm pretty busy at the weekends till Christmas from now but maybe over the holidays or in the New Year?

And Spinney and myself are quite slow!!
I have only just started trying to pace myself..lol. I take my time anyway... I am 45 so no spring chicken but do enjoy a little competitiveness from time to time. Enjoying it is my thing :okay:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
45!!
A mere youth!

@summerdays - the thumb is mending, almost got full movement back now, and typing normally, but I still cannot grip things properly without it hurting, so it will be a couple of weeks yet, at least. It's my right hand too, which is my main braking hand, otherwise I might be back on two wheels a bit sooner.

I'm also not sure I'm free until after Xmas, but we'll def. sort something out in the new year, weather permitting!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
@summerdays - the thumb is mending, almost got full movement back now, and typing normally, but I still cannot grip things properly without it hurting, so it will be a couple of weeks yet.
For what it's worth, I think we're rarely meant to grip bits on the bike with the thumb. The hands should rest on the bars (don't hook the thumb under else it'll get hurt in a crash) and braking is ideally squeezing between fingers and palm. One exception is grip/twist shifters which I think one has to use a thumb for, but they're the devil's work anyway :laugh:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
For what it's worth, I think we're rarely meant to grip bits on the bike with the thumb. The hands should rest on the bars (don't hook the thumb under else it'll get hurt in a crash) and braking is ideally squeezing between fingers and palm. One exception is grip/twist shifters which I think one has to use a thumb for, but they're the devil's work anyway :laugh:
We may not be meant to, but I imagine almost everyone does! Just googled for drop handlebar hand positions, and most of the pics show the thumb wrapping around the bar/hoods on the opposite side to the fingers!

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom