Hello from Evesham, Worcestershire.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BrianEvesham

BrianEvesham

Mask is gone!
What a day. Just completed one of my circuits (8.2 miles hillyish) in 35 mins with no stops at all (a first for me!).
And my wife went out on the road for the first time ever on her new bike. I am so pleased she wants to join in the fun with the boys and me. OK it was only a mile and a half and I had to help her off the bike and back to the house because "My legs have turned to jelly" but every trip starts with a small first step as someone on here said.
It's true my Triban3 funds took a beating to buy it, but its for a better cause.

I am not specifically dieting but have given up ALL alcohol now for and have done for over three weeks. I have promised myself champagne on Christmas Day though (-;

Typhon

Well done Brian, that's a cracking pace. It's nice that your wife joined in on the fun. It looks like cycling is going to be a really fun family activity for you all. :smile:

Well done on giving up the booze - you have more willpower than me!

Typhon

Cheers it's been a good day. A stone gone and the belts up two holes! But the best bit is I feel fantastic.
Out again first thing tomorrow if its not raining heavily, going to up the distance.

I feel fantastic too! I've lost 10lbs myself. In fact I feel less fantastic than usual today because commitments have meant I couldn't cycle today or yesterday. I have the day off tomorrow so I'm looking forward to going out for a long run. Hoping to do two laps of Bredon Hill but that's pretty ambitious - it's 34 miles and I've only done 27 max so far but I'm hoping two days rest will count in my favour.

Latest weather forecast is rain from 2pm onwards in Pershore and the wind will be 15mph+ from 12pm so I will have to get my skates on in the morning and get going as soon as the rush hour/school run dies down.

OP
OP
BrianEvesham

BrianEvesham

Mask is gone!
Good luck with that then.
I was hoping to get a 15mile in first thing after the boys have left for school.
Fingers crossed.

I have work at 2pm so want to be finished biking by midday. My wife wants to go out again and has asked me to chaperone.

OP
OP
BrianEvesham

BrianEvesham

Mask is gone!
15.2 mile hilly route completed in 1 hour 21 mins in pouring rain. I am happy with this, had to stop halfway up a long climb as I thought my legs (thighs) were going to explode, two min reprieve and water and they are as good as new, flew up the rest of the climb, what's that all about?
Almost a quarter of the way to a 100k.
I will get there! (-;

Just waiting for SWMBO to get back as I think we are out on her bike in a bit.

Has that kettle boiled yet? I Am gagging for a warm tea.

Typhon

I woke up late and by the time I had got out at 1pm the wind was up to 18mph. :sad: On what was supposed to be my first lap of Bredon Hill, I had a headwind for the first 13 miles, then I turned right to go up the long slog of a hill from Eckington to Great Comberton and it turned into a tailwind, which was pretty unhelpful going uphill. As soon as I got into Great Comberton the headwind returned. :cursing: I decided to give up and go home.

I'm really disappointed. On Saturday I had a brilliant run and really enjoyed it but today was pure hell. :sad: I'll have to try and finish early on Friday so I can do my long run then instead.

Typhon

Yeah true and then I am doing a Skyride on Sunday. I missed the rain by some miracle but would have traded the wind for the rain!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I woke up late and by the time I had got out at 1pm the wind was up to 18mph. :sad: On what was supposed to be my first lap of Bredon Hill, I had a headwind for the first 13 miles, then I turned right to go up the long slog of a hill from Eckington to Great Comberton and it turned into a tailwind, which was pretty unhelpful going uphill. As soon as I got into Great Comberton the headwind returned. :cursing: I decided to give up and go home.

I'm really disappointed. On Saturday I had a brilliant run and really enjoyed it but today was pure hell. :sad: I'll have to try and finish early on Friday so I can do my long run then instead.
A tailwind would be really helpful going uphill! Have you got your headwinds and tailwinds mixed up? :whistle:

Typhon

A tailwind would be really helpful going uphill! Have you got your headwinds and tailwinds mixed up? :whistle:

Nope definitely not got them mixed up! The tailwind didn't seem to help much going up hill whereas the once or twice I've had them before (!) they have helped on a flat an awful lot. Part of the hill is an 11% gradient and I am still quite unfit so it was just as hard work as ever!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Nope definitely not got them mixed up! The tailwind didn't seem to help much going up hill whereas the once or twice I've had them before (!) they have helped on a flat an awful lot. Part of the hill is an 11% gradient and I am still quite unfit so it was just as hard work as ever!
I had a strong headwind on a short 25% climb once and that almost killed me! :wacko:

Typhon

I had a strong headwind on a short 25% climb once and that almost killed me! :wacko:

Well that sounds a bit like the straw that broke the camel's back to me :tongue:

Surely on a hill most of your energy is fighting the force of gravity? Whereas on a flat it's mostly wind resistance. So the strength of the wind will have a greater affect upon the latter will it not?

Top Bottom