Helmet is hurting my head

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

As several people have said different brands and designs work for different people. I'm the same.

I'd like to throw in another thought. Do you wear glasses of any sort? My helmet fits well and is perfectly comfortable. I also wear a cycle cap.

Sometimes I wear my cycling glasses, others I don't. If I don't position these properly they can be too tight on my head and it hurts in the area you describe. As soon as I take the glasses off the discomfort goes.

For me the best position is to wear glasses over, rather than under the helmet straps. This forces the arms wider apart and relieves the pressure on the head.

If the arms are under the strap they tend to get caught by the edge of my cap and inside of the helmet and pushed in to the sides of my head.
I wear normal glasses thank you for your advice I will try that.

Tom B

Guru
Like shoes and boots some just don't get on with your head. Once you find one that works I tend to stick with them.

Bell Helmets
Altberg Boots

Mrs TomB has just got a new Kask and it feels horrible on my sweede.

All that said I do find the wear in to some extent as the plastic frame relaxes around your head shape and the straps bed in and sodten.

vickster

Legendary Member
Like shoes and boots some just don't get on with your head. Once you find one that works I tend to stick with them.

Bell Helmets
Altberg Boots

Mrs TomB has just got a new Kask and it feels horrible on my sweede.

All that said I do find the wear in to some extent as the plastic frame relaxes around your head shape and the straps bed in and sodten.
You wear shoes and boots on your head? :whistle:

Venod

Eh up
I wear normal glasses thank you for your advice I will try that.

Just to endorse @PaulSB recommendation, I always wear my glasses outside the straps, I have a Specialized helmet and a Kask helmet entirely different shapes on the outside but both fit well the Specialized is very light and used mainly on the road, I tend to use the Kask for off road, having said that I am enjoying solo helmetless riding in this hot spell.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
They can be ok for 10 miles, then start to pinch. As a very general rule, if you find a brand that fits, other models from the same maker will be ok. However, all Giros used to fit me but an Atmos I bought a few years ago was agony and left a big V-shaped bruise on the front of my head, so they must have changed over the years. In general, as helmets have become less round and more "aero" (they'll always cause more drag than short hair!), fit has become more problematic.

It's particularly difficult as you can't take a shop one for a 30 mile test ride and, once you've bought and worn it, a helmet is almost worthless secondhand.

Sixmile

Veteran
What weight is the helmet? Some helmets, even £100+ ones, can weigh up near 500g which to me is a serious amount of weight to be sitting on your head for hours on end. I did a heap of internet shopping for a helmet last week as I wanted an urban style lid for tandem & fat bike riding as opposed to wearing my more road styled 220g MET helmet that I had. It turned out, it is difficult to get a <300g urban helmet for decent dough but I'm happy with the fit or the Alpina that I went for in the end.

D

Deleted member 26715

What weight is the helmet? Some helmets, even £100+ ones, can weigh up near 500g which to me is a serious amount of weight to be sitting on your head for hours on end. I did a heap of internet shopping for a helmet last week as I wanted an urban style lid for tandem & fat bike riding as opposed to wearing my more road styled 220g MET helmet that I had. It turned out, it is difficult to get a <300g urban helmet for decent dough but I'm happy with the fit or the Alpina that I went for in the end.
I used wear a helmet which weighs a lot more than that, often above 130mph & the weight has never been an issue

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Uu

my Oakleys don’t have sprung arms but guess they’re quite flexy
Yes I find cycling glasses are quite flexible and stronger than prescription glasses. I think it's the extra strength which is the problem. A quite rigid material being pushed against the side of the head for several hours is going to hurt!!!!!

Top Bottom