Helmet saved my life yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That's nonsense !

First, there is no cure for pancreatic cancer. Secondly, 75% of all those who develop the disease, die within just a matter of weeks/months after diagnosis; Steve Jobs lived 7 years after pancreatic cancer was detected - which is very rare indeed.

I suggest you read his autobiography by Walter Isaacson. He had a rare and very treatable form of the disease but put off getting it medically treated for all sorts of "cures" that were offered him. Art Levinson, the Chairman of Genentech, and Andy Groves , the Chairman of Intel who had had prostate cancer, fought to get him to get medical treatment rather than eating "horseshit and horseshit roots". In time he came to admit he had made a mistake going for them and if he had had it medically treated early on instead there is a good chance he would be alive and cured today.

hoopdriver

Guru
[QUOTE 2103447, member: 45"]I'm wondering who I should get to write my autobiography....[/quote]
Nice

Davidc

Guru
Anyhow, my helmet saved me from a head cold tonight: the thing was covered with frost by the time I got home :cold:

Lucky person.

I put mine on yesterday morning and it kept my head warm while other bits got cold, but yesterday evening I put on my thicker gloves (having changed then over) but completely forgot the polystyrene hat. I only went just over a mile return but my ears had gone numb and the top of my head was in pain from the cold.

If there's one thing we should all be able to agree on it's that expanded polystyrene foam is a great thermal insulator.

(And btw statistics are fun)

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I suggest you read his autobiography by Walter Isaacson. He had a rare and very treatable form of the disease

Treatable is not the same as curable.

. . . if he had had it medically treated early on instead there is a good chance he would be alive and cured today.

I've rarely read such utter rubbish on this forum; virtually * no-one gets 'cured' from pancreatic cancer.

By the time pancreatic cancer is diagnosed, it is too late to do anything effective for the sufferer. When a patient begins to feel unwell, even if they seek immediate medical assistance it is too late for a 'cure' - all the research supports this assertion.

*The very few who have survived, are those who have had the disease identified, whilst undergoing operations for entirely different illnesses; in other words, when it has been 'spotted' by chance. Such people are the only ones to survive pancreatic cancer and only the effective treatment has always been to have the pancreas removed.

Sure, some drugs can 'buy time', but the patient will always succumb to the disease - because it isn't curable.

30 years ago, the survival rate for pancreatic cancer was less than 4%; today, the survival rate is still under 4%. 4% does not represent what you call a 'good chance'.

It is a cancer for which treatment rates have not improved, despite new forms of treatment and drugs.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
"Pancreatic NETs can often be cured."
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/isletcell/Patient/page1

You were saying? An apology will be accepted.

You were saying ?

I notice that your article gives no mention of survival rates - the ultimate arbiter.

Take a look at this . . . . . . .

http://pancreaticcanceraction.org/archive/2012/08/

". . . . . . . becomes one of only three per cent of people who survive beyond five years after a diagnosis for pancreatic cancer."

and look at this . . . . . . .

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:0xFE2jlCpj4J:www.pancreaticcancer.org.uk/media/100292/report_final_for_web.pdf Long term survival rates for pancreatic cancer are under %&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESg07kuv-lKD13NNJV_WwCpVpO7zLLKT5cKVddQHNpYVE9W3r-KmCHGZl9k5IQxD-WIQBVZXCcS-kL19zLbtqiEFwwKZCOwqrDpM65R8fEH7X7w7nq0BBiUxSIN6vUV58MnsC6BU&sig=AHIEtbRt5BX-yFBd0jUgIAjl2Un4RtJqDg

" . . . . . . .Pancreatic cancer is the most fatal form of cancer in the UK with only 3% of patients surviving for 5 years or more – something which hasn’t changed in the last 40 years. "

There is a huge amount of evidence which supports & verifies the above links; if (as you believe) pancreatic cancer (any form of) is 'curable', why is it that survival rates haven't improved at all, for 40 years ?

To suggest that Steve Jobs had a 'good chance' of survival, is almost laughable; I'm not a betting man, but 3% doesn't seem good odds . . . An apology will be accepted.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
* Jobs had a pancreatic NET with a good prognosis for cure if treated early before it has metastasised.

Pancreatic cancer is especially difficult to treat; by the time the patient feels unwell, it is too late to be cured - this is what all the medical experts state !

It can only be 'treated early', if it is discovered by chance - such as when undergoing an operation for something else. Given that most people seek medical help only when they feel unwell, makes pancreatic cancer pretty much impossible to treat - why is why survival rates are so low.

Gary E

Veteran
JESUS! 11 pages in and still going and all the original poster said was that he fell off his bike wearing a helmet :laugh:

Can't we just agree to disagree when it comes to helmets on this forum? Otherwise we need to get the profanity filter to remove the word from all future posts, all it seems to need is the presence of the word, in any context and we're off again :wacko:

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Don't know where you get your figures from... The main pancreatic cancer treatment is surgery, which is suitable in 15-20% of patients and which has a high success rate.

You obviously haven't read my links, which independently suggest that survival rates are no more than 3%.

Unlike yourself, I have personal experience of knowing someone with this disease; he died at the age of 33 - the diagnosis being made just 6 weeks previously. He was a very fit non-smoking, non-drinking vegetarian. They specifically stated that surgery is an unrealistic course of action for virtually all sufferers; I'll say it for the final time . . .

By the time sufferers feel unwell and seek medical assistance, it is too late for any effective treatment.

I wonder if any forum members know of someone with pancreatic cancer ? I wonder if 15-20% of them have survived ?

pubrunner

Legendary Member
But what would I know? After all, I only have access to the NHS information and data on this...

Then why don't you actually read it ?

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2010/10October/Pages/pancreatic-cancer-develops-early.aspx

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/11November/Pages/cancer-survival-rates-still-vary-greatly.aspx

The second article specifically states that the (2007) survival rates are just a few months. Both of these are NHS articles. Try actually reading the links.

I'm going to have to sign off from this, 'cos it isn't part of the OP's original thread . . . and I suspect that you are deliberately seeking to appear obtuse - and doing rather well at it !

Pancreatic cancer is especially difficult to treat; by the time the patient feels unwell, it is too late to be cured - this is what all the medical experts state !

Please provide some evidence that medical experts state that pancreatic neuroendocrine tumours are not curable. I have provided a sound reference from the US government cancer information site that says they are.

It can only be 'treated early', if it is discovered by chance - such as when undergoing an operation for something else. Given that most people seek medical help only when they feel unwell, makes pancreatic cancer pretty much impossible to treat - why is why survival rates are so low.

I think you are confusing pancreatic adenocarcinoma (the common form of pancreatic cancer), where what you say is true, with pancreatic neuroendocrine tumours (the rare form) where it is not.

Then why don't you actually read it ?

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2010/10October/Pages/pancreatic-cancer-develops-early.aspx

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/11November/Pages/cancer-survival-rates-still-vary-greatly.aspx

The second article specifically states that the (2007) survival rates are just a few months. Both of these are NHS articles. Try actually reading the links.

I'm going to have to sign off from this, 'cos it isn't part of the OP's original thread . . . and I suspect that you are deliberately seeking to appear obtuse - and doing rather well at it !

These are articles on adenocarninomas not neuroendocrine tumours. You are looking at the wrong sort of tumour.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
What an ignorant little rant...

There is nothing ignorant, in providing facts !

You alluded to NHS statistics, but you obviously couldn't be bothered to actually read them - that's not my fault.

You been shown to be incorrect, but there's no shame in that ! That you don't have the courtesy to exhibit good grace, is hardly my fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom